Babylon Nights Question #3 ~ Why hire Spandau?

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Babylon Nights Question #3 ~ Why hire Spandau?

Unread postby Liz » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:10 pm

Why does Anna decide to hire Spandau to protect her when she’s got plans of committing suicide?

NOTE: Please avoid discussing the ending during this question.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

shadowydog

Re: Babylon Nights Question #3 ~ Why hire Spandau?

Unread postby shadowydog » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:22 pm

Well if she hadn't hired him, Danny Depp would have had to write a different story. :grin:
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:48 pm

I'm not sure Anna was serious about the suicide plan. Yes, she bought the poison and yes, she had some unhappiness in her life, worried about aging and her changing role in the industry and all of that. But I think it was a bit of larger than life dramatic thinking on her part. It was comforting to think she had a way out. If it came to that. If she had been truly serious, she would have simply gone ahead and done the deed. It would have had the desired effect of having her in the news headlines since she was slated to be a Cannes judge, artfully timed for maximum effect.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:20 pm

Good one, Shadowydog! :lol:

I kept wondering if I misunderstood or misread the 2nd chapter.

Nebraska, good point, that she may have been keeping it just in case she decided to do it.

NOTE: I need to caution you here not to get into the ending yet. I forgot to do that when I posted the question. I will add that now.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:24 pm

I think having the means to commit suicide gave Anna the feeling that she still had some control over her life. As a "fading" star, she was subject to the whims of the media and the business, and perhaps having this ultimate decision-making power gave her some of her self respect back. Sovereignty over her own life and actions may have felt like the only thing she really had.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:33 pm

I agree with the responses so far. She was worried about aging, two timed by her last lover. Her career seemed based on her sex appeal. She was attracted to him when he came along . Her reasons for thinking of a way out were that she was no longer hot so what better way to heal those wounds than find a replacement. To be honest she didn’t really want a body guard.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:49 pm

Hmmm, yeah. I've had problems with this also. I mean, he sets it up in the beginning like she is going to do something, then it's used mostly to comic-effect at the luncheon, then it's basically ignored isn't it? Until the end, until it comes roaring back in the last pages of the story, like a horrific directional pointer aimed at the next book. And geez just when we were beginning to rather like Special.

Maybe it's there only to hang in the background, a woeful blue balloon riding along the horizon that catches your eye now and then-- something you come back to, wonder about and shrug your shoulders over? Mildly disconcerting, a quirky little plot device. Or, raise the stakes slightly, maybe it's supposed to rattle around in the imagination about the same way as it rattles around in Anna's purse? If you think about it our brains are full of of things like poison canisters, stuff that wakes you up in the middle of the night; and you tear yourself apart worrying about, and promptly ignore the next morning. It's loose, uncontrollable, an injection of existentialist philosophy into the middle of a detective story.

In either case, we must assume he sets this 'prop' up deliberately. I would add that Daniel seems to do alot monkey wrenching in his books: things don't line up, don't work out in the way we'd like them to work: boy doesn't get girl, interesting bad guy comes to a really sad end. In any case, I like it.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:23 pm

Note to self - go back and read ending of book. Must have forgotten some key bit of information. :rolleyes:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:25 pm

Buster wrote:I think having the means to commit suicide gave Anna the feeling that she still had some control over her life. As a "fading" star, she was subject to the whims of the media and the business, and perhaps having this ultimate decision-making power gave her some of her self respect back. Sovereignty over her own life and actions may have felt like the only thing she really had.

I really like the idea of control. When your career is subject to factors beyond your control, it's got to be a hopeless feeling.

And when gemini pointed out that Spandau was a replacement I started to think about how the Perec incident might have made her feel that maybe she still had it.....that someone would go to that extent for her.

~SB

Unread postby ~SB » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:11 am

I also like the idea of control. In addition, it gave her an option that was available. . .until, of course, it wasn't anymore. Here's the thing: I got so wrapped up in the Anna's personality, her relationship with Spandau, and all these other little details, that I forgot about it. I have to admit that when Daniel popped it back into the storyline, not only was I surprised but also a little embarrassed that I had managed to so totally wipe it from my brain. :lol:
~SB

"Sometimes even the simplest of moments can leave a morsel that leads to something later on down the road."

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:13 am

fireflydances wrote:In either case, we must assume he sets this 'prop' up deliberately.
Oh yeah, it's deliberate. Are you familiar with the literary concept called Chekhov's Gun?

The suicidal thoughts made me remember our discussion of A Long Way Down.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:32 am

fansmom: Oh yeah, it's deliberate. Are you familiar with the literary concept called Chekhov's Gun?

No. I will follow the bird seed trail you left however. Thanks!
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:47 am

fansmom wrote:
fireflydances wrote:In either case, we must assume he sets this 'prop' up deliberately.
Oh yeah, it's deliberate. Are you familiar with the literary concept called Chekhov's Gun?
Spoiler! :

The suicidal thoughts made me remember our discussion of A Long Way Down.

How so?

I did not know about Chekhov's Gun. The link doesn't work for some reason (nothing happens when I click on it), but I couldn't fix it when I got into your post, fansmom. Everything appeared correct.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:54 am

I was able to fix fansmom's link, Liz. I don't know what was wrong, but when I changed the "link" code to the "url" code, it worked.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:06 am

Thanks, T. I wonder if it had to do with the "spoiler" coding.

Return to “Babylon Nights”