Babylon Nights Tidbit #23 ~ Chili

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

shadowydog

Re: Babylon Nights Tidbit #23 ~ Chili

Unread postby shadowydog » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:44 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Chili is always one of the first things I make when the weather turns cold and we always use the leftovers for Frito pie. This Texas uses beans but my recipe is from my 10th grade home ec teacher so I seriously doubt it's authenticity! :lol:

firefly, I dried cilantro is actually corriander?

I thought it was the seeds of the cilantro plant that was corriander? :perplexed:
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:54 am

This is true, Shadowydog. But the spice in question was Cumin and whether it was related to cilantro, and it is not. And I did not realize that Coriander & Cilantro were related at all until today. The reason I say that is that I have a bottle of dried Cilantro and a bottle of ground coriander. I just assumed that they were different. But I had to look it up and found out that they are the same BUT cilantro is the coriander leaf, and coriander refers to not just the seed but the entire plant. You learn something new every day. :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:46 pm

And I thought I knew chili!! I make a mean chili and yes it does have beans in it. Sorry - got to run and start a big pot of chili!! :harhar:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:53 pm

As the one that began all the confusion regarding cumin and cilantro/coriander, please accept this illuminating "gift" to the discussion. More than you ever wanted to know about these wonderous spices (running off for another bowl of the cumin soaked black eyed pea soup I made for New Year's -- no cilantro in the house, pooh!):

Spice Rack: Cumin and Coriander, the Ancient, Dynamic Duo
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Return to “Babylon Nights”