ATLA Question #30 - The End

by Simone de Beauvoir

Moderator: Liz

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

ATLA Question #30 - The End

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:22 am

This is our last question of this discussion of A Transatlantic Love Affair. :sad: It’s certainly been an interesting and challenging one. Thank you for all of your insights and the extra efforts that some of you have put into it. It will be weird for me to end this discussion because it has taken up major space in my head since I started reading the book in June.

So without further ado, I give you the last question.....


Is there anything else you would like to discuss that we may have missed?

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
nebraska
Posts: 28412
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: near Omaha

Status: Offline

Re: ATLA Question #30 - The End

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:49 pm

I am afraid I can't think of anything else - the tidbits and the questions have been really great! Once again I feel enriched and enlightened by ONBC! Thank you to Liz and DITHOT for all the work you have done to make this such a great discussion, and to everyone who participated and provided so much information to supplement the basics. You all rock! :cool:

User avatar
fireflydances
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 3206
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: under a pile of books
Contact:

Status: Offline

Re: ATLA Question #30 - The End

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:14 pm

Wow. I don't want it to end really. I so enjoyed talking about Simone and Algren -- such a meaty conversation you know. I just got Tete A Tete :ohno: I am going to miss thinking about them -- they came to be so alive for me, and I'm sure that's true for others. Algren in particular: I knew so little about him, about Chicago for that matter -- now both are real, something I am not finished exploring. Thank you for the wonderful tidbits you shared with us, and the very even-handed discussions you chaired. Strong opinions all around and guided with perfection!

Thank you both! :hatsoff:
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

User avatar
Buster
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:07 am

Status: Offline

Re: ATLA Question #30 - The End

Unread postby Buster » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:51 pm

I was very dubious at the beginning whether I could hang in there for this whole excavation of deBeauvoir and Algren. I am deeply impressed by the fortitude you guys displayed, and am grateful for the depth of inquiry.

Honestly, I don't know how you did it. I quickly got side-tracked to Algren and Chicago, and jumped ship when deBeauvoir got mushy.

Somehow the whole relationship felt very self-indulgent to me. Perhaps that is exactly where the seeds of genius are fed.

Thank you all for your insights and enthusiasm; you've opened doors.

User avatar
gemini
Posts: 3907
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:28 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Status: Offline

Re: ATLA Question #30 - The End

Unread postby gemini » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:30 pm

When Simone’s name first popped up I googled her because I knew absolutely nothing about her except she wrote Second Sex. I am sad to be leaving this discussion, as it was one of those that took me by surprise. I had to force myself to read ATLA waiting to almost discussion time to finally finish it. Somewhere along the way, reading online about Simone and Sartre, I got hooked. I just looked around my book shelf and find I own 12 books on this subject not counting a couple I read from the library. I still have 2 ½ books to finish so I will not be leaving our friends just yet. I have decided to see if I can find some of Algren's books at the library just to see if I like his books as well as I do his writing in reviews. I do hope this is a film that Johnny can fit into his schedule since I now have the background to appreciate it. Thanks Liz and Dithot for giving me my latest reading obsession. :goodvibes:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

User avatar
Buster
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:07 am

Status: Offline

Re: ATLA Question #30 - The End

Unread postby Buster » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:57 pm

gemini, I hope your investigation extends to Algren. Once again I recommend Neon Wilderness, but don't stop there.

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Re: ATLA Question #30 - The End

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:12 pm

It's really great to know that this discussion triggered so much extra curricular interest. Isn't that what the written word is all about? Expanding your horizons to subjects and people that you weren't aware of, or barely aware of, before you read a book? Making you think in ways that were new and interesting? Thanks everyone for your participation and interest. If you would like to come back and add anything about Simone or Nelson as you keep reading more about them, please do. The clock never strikes midnight at ONBC!

Thanks, Noodlematras! Read on!
:noodlemantra:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
fansmom
Posts: 2059
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:50 pm
Location: Olney, Maryland

Status: Offline

Re: ATLA Question #30 - The End

Unread postby fansmom » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:05 pm

I have said this before, but I'll say it again--DITHOT and Liz, you two are amazing! :applause: Thanks so much for all your hard work! :applause2: (I was the leader at my library book club this evening, and I know how much research I did for a one hour discussion. The amount you two do for a month long discussion is phenomenal.)

And again, as usual, I am impressed with my fellow Noodlemantras :loveshower: and how inspired some get to do additional reading. I don't think anyone seven years ago expected this!

User avatar
nebraska
Posts: 28412
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: near Omaha

Status: Offline

Re: ATLA Question #30 - The End

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:23 pm

gemini wrote:When Simone’s name first popped up I googled her because I knew absolutely nothing about her except she wrote Second Sex. I am sad to be leaving this discussion, as it was one of those that took me by surprise. I had to force myself to read ATLA waiting to almost discussion time to finally finish it. Somewhere along the way, reading online about Simone and Sartre, I got hooked. I just looked around my book shelf and find I own 12 books on this subject not counting a couple I read from the library. I still have 2 ½ books to finish so I will not be leaving our friends just yet.I have decided to see if I can find some of Algren's books at the library just to see if I like his books as well as I do his writing in reviews. I do hope this is a film that Johnny can fit into his schedule since I now have the background to appreciate it. Thanks Liz and Dithot for giving me my latest reading obsession. :goodvibes:


And since I am still reading The Mandarins, I will not be leaving right away either. I am finding the book surprisingly good after a slow start. :cool:

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: ATLA Question #30 - The End

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:29 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote: The clock never strikes midnight at ONBC!
:noodlemantra:

Nope. Just 2 past.... :bigwink:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: ATLA Question #30 - The End

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:30 pm

nebraska wrote:
gemini wrote:When Simone’s name first popped up I googled her because I knew absolutely nothing about her except she wrote Second Sex. I am sad to be leaving this discussion, as it was one of those that took me by surprise. I had to force myself to read ATLA waiting to almost discussion time to finally finish it. Somewhere along the way, reading online about Simone and Sartre, I got hooked. I just looked around my book shelf and find I own 12 books on this subject not counting a couple I read from the library. I still have 2 ½ books to finish so I will not be leaving our friends just yet.I have decided to see if I can find some of Algren's books at the library just to see if I like his books as well as I do his writing in reviews. I do hope this is a film that Johnny can fit into his schedule since I now have the background to appreciate it. Thanks Liz and Dithot for giving me my latest reading obsession. :goodvibes:


And since I am still reading The Mandarins, I will not be leaving right away either. I am finding the book surprisingly good after a slow start. :cool:

But I do want to hear more on your opinion of Algren's work
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

RamblinRebel
Posts: 608
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:24 pm
Location: Chicago or thereabouts

Status: Offline

Re: ATLA Question #30 - The End

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:40 am

Liz wrote:But I do want to hear more on your opinion of Algren's work
I just added my :twocents: on that topic to Q28 - Nelson. And I'm sure now I'll be reading more of his work... :grin:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:It's really great to know that this discussion triggered so much extra curricular interest. Isn't that what the written word is all about? Expanding your horizons to subjects and people that you weren't aware of, or barely aware of, before you read a book? Making you think in ways that were new and interesting?
I couldn't have said it better! This discussion has been absolutely remarkable. I have enjoyed it tremendously and learned so much - on so many different topics! My only regret is that I wasn't able to participate more fully.

I can't say thanks enough to everyone who really dove deep and shared their findings and insights, and of course to Liz and DITHOT! :hug: ATLA itself was rather :yawn:, but the discussions were fantastic, with so many different viewpoints and so much additional knowledge! Truly enlightening and thought-provoking.

And in the end it has only left me wanting more, so I am left with several more titles to add to my reading list. I think Simone and Nelson are going to be with me for several months. :reader: (Now I just need to figure out how to read as fast as gemini. ;-) )

User avatar
nebraska
Posts: 28412
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: near Omaha

Status: Offline

Re: ATLA Question #30 - The End

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:04 am

Don't know about anyone else, but the ending of a book discussion leaves me feeling lost. Feels like there is something missing from my day!

User avatar
gemini
Posts: 3907
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:28 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Status: Offline

Re: ATLA Question #30 - The End

Unread postby gemini » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:37 pm

Well, I am glad that I was not the only one to get interested in this topic.
Nebraska said
Don't know about anyone else, but the ending of a book discussion leaves me feeling lost. Feels like there is something missing from my day!
Yes, me too. I have to wind down and then it takes me while to get back when the next book comes along. I just wanted to add, I liked the Mandarins about the best of what I’ve read of Simones books. I have read online that “All Men are Mortal” is good but I’ll have to let you know when I get to that one. Her bios were interesting because we were discussing her but otherwise not as entertaining.

Ramblin Rebel said
Now I just need to figure out how to read as fast as gemini.
The trick is to be retired. I always read but not on the scale I do these days. The other trick is to find something that interests you. Some books I read in a day, others I give up on totally. I don't go anywhere without carrying a book, so I am ready when I have to wait somewhere.
Okay, back to “Talking with Sartre”.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers



Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

RamblinRebel
Posts: 608
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:24 pm
Location: Chicago or thereabouts

Status: Offline

Re: ATLA Question #30 - The End

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:08 am

gemini wrote:
Ramblin Rebel said
Now I just need to figure out how to read as fast as gemini.
The trick is to be retired. I always read but not on the scale I do these days. The other trick is to find something that interests you. Some books I read in a day, others I give up on totally. I don't go anywhere without carrying a book, so I am ready when I have to wait somewhere.
Okay, back to “Talking with Sartre”.

Retired with a book always nearby...:cloud9: Sounds absolutely wonderful... I can't wait! :sigh:


Return to “A Transatlantic Love Affair”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest