ATLA Question #30 - The End

by Simone de Beauvoir

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: ATLA Question #30 - The End

Unread postby Liz » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:00 am

Nebraska, I have to say I feel the same way. Whenever I finish a book that I really like, I feel a little empty (not just ONBC books). A good book is like a good friend. And I think I’m grieving for the characters (my friends) in the book or for whatever needful feeling that book provided me. Then you add a discussion onto it, and the feeling when it ends is multiplied tenfold. And the more involved the discussion gets, the more grief when it’s over. Not to mention the extra research put into it. And with this one, I did more than normal. Thank goodness for the archives to help me remember all of our discussions.

RR, I have to admit that ATLA, as a standalone book, just didn’t do it for me. It was the extra reading that made it come alive for me. And I have to thank DITHOT for suggesting that I share, as prebits, some of the Letters to Sartre that I had been reading. Both she and I had been frustrated by not knowing what had happened on her trips to see Algren. And reading those letters were very helpful.

Gemini, I don’t have time in my life to do any extra reading. So it amazes me that I found the time to do so with ATLA. I will say, though, that I didn’t read any of the extra books in their entirety. I suppose, though, I probably read the equivalent of 2 extra books when all was said and done. Thanks for the recommendation on The Mandarins. My daughter gave it to me for my birthday, so I will eventually read it….probably when I’m longing for the memories of this discussion (or maybe while ATLA is being filmed :hope:). I also want to read one of Algren's books....the one about Hemingway that Buster recommended (Notes from a Sea Diary: Hemingway All the Way) seems like it would be a good pick. But I think it is out of print.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “A Transatlantic Love Affair”