ATLA Question #22 - Her Letters

by Simone de Beauvoir

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: ATLA Question #22 - Her Letters

Unread postby Liz » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:03 pm

Yes, I'm sure she had insecurities just like the rest of us. And I think that I expected more of her--put her on a pedestal, as it were, before I even knew any of her story.

And at times, I feel guilty making judgments of her for the world to see, picking apart and analyzing every inch of her life (of which I'm aware). But she left her memoirs and letters for us all to see, and thus left her self open to that criticism and analysis.....almost asking for it. Immortality.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:19 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:All good questions and very thought provoking. What keeps naggimg at me is Simone's book, The Second Sex, where she wrote about women having a secondary status in society and basically launched the women's movement. At the same time she feels inferior and acts inferior to Sartre but at the same time competes with him and provides him with other women. And again at the same time she has the affair with Algren and seems to initmate that she is his equal or even his superior. Was she simply trying to make herself feel equal to Sartre, boost her own ego? I have a hard time reconciling her actions with her writings. :mort3:

I have a hard time comparing her actions to her writing as well and not only with the Second Sex. I also have the problem with her existentialism. All that choice and freedom doesn’t mix well with being submissive or living to make someone else’s life better. I guess even that is a choice, but it sort of clashes with the freedom part. I guess I don’t see the point of having many affairs to compete with your partner if you are still overwhelmed with jealousy over his affairs. It may sound equal but doesn’t feel equal. :-/
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:38 pm

fireflydances wrote:
(It's funny lately when I write about her, or read all of our comments, I imagine her sitting in a wing arm chair, long white gray hair curled on her head, slight smile on her lips, leaning forward and peering first and one of us, then another. Wordless. Perhaps I am dreaming of her heaven?)

I think she would absolutely love it that we cuss and discuss her endlessly! And who knows, perhaps she is.

Return to “A Transatlantic Love Affair”