It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: ATLA Question #14 ~ Equal or Not
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:38 pm 

I just read in one of these darn books. I’ve totally lost track where I’ve read what. I think ”Remaking a 20th century legend”. I can’t recall the exact words but Simone told Sylvie the letters were all lost, but after her death, Sylvie found them neatly put away where she could not miss them when she was cleaning out her cupboards. They had already been edited by Simone so the authors insinuate she only wanted to make sure they were not published until after her death. It seems she knew Sylvie would publish them.
To add to the story, these authors think she may have left them as proof that she came up with some of Sartres ideas and since she had always denied that, she didn’t want it revealed until after her death.
I also read somewhere that some of Sartres wartime journals ( the notebooks) were lost. He sent them to Simone and she sent them for Bost to read during the war and Arlette thinks they may have been lost when Bost was injured in the war or just misplaced by Simone.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:46 pm 

When I read this remark I initially saw it in a larger context as opposed to a personal one. What surprised me about this quote was how I related it to her landmark book, The Second Sex, and the role it played in the women's movement. It just struck me as a rather ironic remark from someone who is seen as an icon of emerging womens liberation thought. More about that irony later...

Looking at it as a personal remark regarding her relationship with Algren it appears in a different light. She does seem to be angry with or answering something he said to her that we are not privy to. I definitely see it as an insult perhaps to a perceived insult from him? :banghead:

As far as their letters being made public...they both had very large egos and were not shy about sharing their opinions and personas in public. Perhaps knowing their letters would be published was a way for them to feel they would never be forgotten and to continue their public personas and influence into the future.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:02 pm 
JDZ Moderator

gemini wrote:
I just read in one of these darn books. I’ve totally lost track where I’ve read what. I think ”Remaking a 20th century legend”. I can’t recall the exact words but Simone told Sylvie the letters were all lost, but after her death, Sylvie found them neatly put away where she could not miss them when she was cleaning out her cupboards. They had already been edited by Simone so the authors insinuate she only wanted to make sure they were not published until after her death. It seems she knew Sylvie would publish them.

Edited? So much for the truth. :-/

gemini wrote:
To add to the story, these authors think she may have left them as proof that she came up with some of Sartres ideas and since she had always denied that, she didn’t want it revealed until after her death.

This is sounding very familiar. I think I read something to this effect also. It's just so hard to remember what one read where. I have a real admiration for those working on a thesis or book on how they can keep all of their sources straight.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:04 pm 
JDZ Moderator

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:

As far as their letters being made public...they both had very large egos and were not shy about sharing their opinions and personas in public. Perhaps knowing their letters would be published was a way for them to feel they would never be forgotten and to continue their public personas and influence into the future.

And they wouldn't have to be around for the fallout.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:25 pm 

Liz wrote:

Everything you both say here sparks something else I read. In reading about Sartre and his existenialism, he says that the reason he choose writing as his lifes work was it was the only way he could find immortality, since he believed after death there was nothing. Simone had similar views.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:52 pm 
JDZ Moderator

gemini wrote:
Liz wrote:

Everything you both say here sparks something else I read. In reading about Sartre and his existenialism, he says that the reason he choose writing as his lifes work was it was the only way he could find immortality, since he believed after death there was nothing. Simone had similar views.

Good point, gemini!

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2