ATLA - Locating the book

by Simone de Beauvoir

Moderator: Liz

nebraska

Re: A Transatlantic Love Affair - Locating the book

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:50 pm

Buster wrote:While I agree that Amazon does an amazing job, I still lament the effect that it has on independent book sellers. One of my favorite local book stores closed recently, saying that people no longer ordered books through them, even though their prices were comparable to Amazon.
For me, one of my favorite parts of the whole reading experience is browsing - handling, smelling, dipping into whatever catches my eye. That, indeed, is a big part of the thrill - the serendipitous find, a book you didn't know existed, on a topic you'd never think of, by someone you've never heard of - and that is missing when ordering on line.
"Not all treasure is gold, mate."

I agree browsing is wonderful, and we do have a used book store here in town (which charges half the cover price for a used book, so not at all comparable to Amazon prices). But my main problem with shopping in a store is that I have trouble finding what I need when I am looking for a specific item. That used book store didn't even have a copy of AIW in a huge room filled with children's books. :-/

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:56 pm

Oh gee, I couldn't agree more about the experience of the book store, or the library. The preponderance of books just waiting to be opened, the weight of them in your hands and that papery smell. I am a danger to myself in either setting however. :biggrin:

Shopping on line may not have the sensory pleasure of the store, but it saves me a darn truckload worth of money. I read the way other people munch on peanuts. Sigh. Perhaps I will meet a very rich man who also loves books and we will spend our years tripping up and down the aisles. :-O

(The heat is getting to me.)
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:47 pm

California Kat, I’m glad you found the book at a great price. The prices seem to be really good RIGHT NOW. I wonder if that will change when Amazon notices that we’re in the market, as it were. I hope you will join our discussion.

San, reading it in whatever language suits you is great! I’m just glad you found it.

jdfan, thanks for the info on Half (com). You can’t beat $3.49.

Buster, I totally agree with you. But Amazon does fill a certain need…..like this one. I called my local indie bookstore that I like to support to ask if they had any copies. The answer was “no, and it’s out of print.” End of story. I even tried to explain that there would be a lot of people looking for this book. It didn’t really make an impression on him, and he didn’t seem to want to pursue it further. He told me to check Powells. It does depend on the person you talk to, though. I’ve had other good experiences at this bookstore. One of the managers was really into Attica. So she was quite helpful.

IngridN, would that be the French translation of the English Translation of the French translation of Simone’s broken English? :-)

firefly, Boo, it saves money AND TIME (which is money to me).
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Peachy

Unread postby Peachy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:24 am

IngridN Wrote
I was ready to order the book from Amazon, but a friend of mine will lend me the french translation: Lettres a Nelson Algren.
I wonder if this will work with the discussion

that's too funny - the exact same thing happened to me! so I have it in French too. We can compare notes! :lol:

Liz wrote:
IngridN, would that be the French translation of the English Translation of the French translation of Simone’s broken English?

No idea...we should have fun working that one out!
"If I'm going do to this for a living I want to at least provoke a thought or make someone look at something, however subtle, from another perspective." (JD on acting).

IngridN

Unread postby IngridN » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:30 pm

Peachy wrote:IngridN Wrote
I was ready to order the book from Amazon, but a friend of mine will lend me the french translation: Lettres a Nelson Algren.
I wonder if this will work with the discussion

that's too funny - the exact same thing happened to me! so I have it in French too. We can compare notes! :lol:

Liz wrote:
IngridN, would that be the French translation of the English Translation of the French translation of Simone’s broken English?

No idea...we should have fun working that one out!

:cool: What a coincidence Peachy, that will be fun :ok:
"We are always the same age inside." Gertrude Stein

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:39 pm

From an email I just got from Amazon--
. . .shipped the following item(s) in your order placed on June 27, 2010.
Delivery Estimate: July 20, 2010

I know people call it snail mail, but really? It shipped today and I'll get it in 23 days? How on earth is it coming?

(And yes, I did look locally before ordering from Amazon.)

jdfan

Unread postby jdfan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:58 pm

:banghead: Geez is it mediamail? Hopefully it won't take that long.
I'm cooler online-Brad Paisley

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:18 pm

Noodlemantras, thanks for all the info on finding the book. :cool:

fansmom, that happened to me once with Amazon, I can't remember the book right now. It did take several weeks, I can only assume they are getting it from a second hand dealer who doesn't sell directly to the public?
:perplexed:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:22 pm

Fansmom: don't loose hope. Amazon has this tendency to over state how long it will take to get to the purchaser. Most times I receive my purchase within 2 weeks. On the other end, I can count on one hand the number of times their estimate was met, and in two of those cases, the book was not able to be located at all. And we know Amazon has the book. So, fear not. :hope:
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:13 am

Well, I'm about half way through A Transatlantic Love Affair, and am not finding it too compelling. So I picked up The Neon Wilderness, and discovered that Algren's stories are the perfect antidote.
I'm looking forward to everyone's thoughts - and I promise I'll finish ATLA...

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:02 pm

Buster wrote:Well, I'm about half way through A Transatlantic Love Affair, and am not finding it too compelling. So I picked up The Neon Wilderness, and discovered that Algren's stories are the perfect antidote.

He's good, is he? I've been wondering about his books. I've also been wondering about hers. But I don't have time to read them. I think I will read some passages, though, and maybe quote some as tidbits. Not sure yet.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

jdfan

Unread postby jdfan » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:11 pm

Buster wrote:Well, I'm about half way through A Transatlantic Love Affair, and am not finding it too compelling. So I picked up The Neon Wilderness, and discovered that Algren's stories are the perfect antidote.

:-/
I'm cooler online-Brad Paisley

lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

A Canada Post worker just dropped off my copy of ATLA and she wanted to know if it was 'a light read for the summer' - oh my 559 big pages! Any suggestions how to tackle a read like this? I've never read a book of letters before. It looks daunting - no plot to push things forward - do I read each letter like a short story (a very short story)?! Whatever advice "letter readers" could offer would be greatly appreciated. For now its way to 'heavy' to read in this heatwave :blush:
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:41 pm

Yes, reading a book of letters. First off, there is a lot more freedom with this kind of book as you don't have to start at the beginning and plod through page by page to make sure you don't miss a thing. No, letter books are rather like a plate of tasty assorted appetizers, a smidge of this, a dollop of that. I suggest that you start at the beginning and read until you get a sense of the personalities. Then don't fear changing it up a bit. It's lovely to just open a book randomly at times and savor what you stop to read. There is a real beauty to letter writing, the words used, phrases, observations about a place or season, how the writer expresses feelings, obsessions etc. I think you can get a lot closer to understanding a person by reading their thoughts, pondering exactly what they want to say most to someone who was important to them.

Even if you don't read every single page you will come away with a sense of this woman, her life, why she loved this man and even what she didn't love about him. Basically, feel free to enjoy this book any way you wish.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:22 pm

Good suggestion, Firefly. :cool: Seems less daunting now. I must read the entire book, though, as I'm leading the discussion.

The way I've handled it is to read a few letters every night before bed. I may have to step this up, though, as it gets closer to the discussion. I would NOT put it off until the day before (or even the week before) like you can do with most books that have a plot.

Return to “A Transatlantic Love Affair”