FANTASTIC BEASTS 3 Updates

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
In-too-Depp

Unread postby In-too-Depp » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:37 am

"Fantastic Beasts 3 Pushes Production to Start to Late Fall"

Article by Anthony D'Allessandro
Deadline.com

18th January 2019

EXCLUSIVE: It has come to our understanding that Warner Bros. is pushing back the production start of the third Fantastic Beasts film.

Originally, the J.K. Rowling-scripted movie was going to go before the cameras in July of this year, and now it’s looking like late autumn.

It boils down to more prep time for part three. The Fantastic Beasts production team literally delivered the last movie, The Crimes of Grindelwald, which made close to $650M at the WW box office, and more pre-production time is needed for the threequel. Literally, Fantastic Beasts 3 would need to be in soft-prep by now to roll cameras in the summer. Actors are being alerted about the push in production in order to change their working schedules. Previous Warner Bros. administrations had the tendency to rush event films to meet release dates, and in this case Fantastic Beasts 3 was rumored to be 2020. Warner Bros. executives now have a new approach of allowing big productions to brew as needed.

There aren’t any hard details about part 3 other than the movie will address a lot of unanswered plot questions, and fans can expect many of their favorite Potter-verse characters after Grindelwald gave us Jude Law as young Albus Dumbledore. No confirmation at this time, but previous Fantastic Beasts movies have shot at Leavesden studios in the U.K. David Yates is still set to direct the threequel with David Heyman, Steve Kloves, Lionel Wigram and Rowling producing.

In the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them series, Eddie Redmayne plays Magizoologist Newt Scamander, a collector and tamer of mystical beasts, who makes his way through the secret wizard communities of New York, Paris and London during the late 1920s. The movies have also starred Katherine Waterston, Alison Sudol, Ezra Miller, and Dan Fogler. Johnny Depp played the role of baddie Grindelwald in part 2.

Together both Fantastic Beasts movies have grossed a combined $1.46B worldwide. Altogether with the $7.7B made by the Harry Potter franchise, the Rowling Wizarding Universe counts close to $9.2B at the global box office.

And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

meeps

Re: FANTASTIC BEASTS 3 Updates

Unread postby meeps » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:06 pm

According to this they have started to film the third instalment in England:

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:14 pm

I find this difficult to believe and more difficult to verify.

If there have been Johnny sightings, there would be Johnny pics. If filming of any movie was taking place, there would be location shots of some sort...trailers, hotel bookings, restaurant catering, etc.

By all accounts, FB3 is still in rewriting stages and not even pre-production, let alone actual filming. That has been pushed back to the fall and many of the film’s stars have signed on to other films in production during spring and summer.

Plus the release date of Nov. 2020 has also been pushed back.

And Johnny has a full month of concerts with HV in May.

Johnny may be in Lacock for some other reason; time will tell.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:01 am

I asked Jack’s Wench to check it out as she lives near the area.

She said Lacock Abbey and Cloisters were “closed for filming” from 27 March to 3 April, but the notice didn’t say what was being filmed.

She said that they filmed parts of FB 2 at the same place last year and that Johnny was included in that. Still not sure if he was involved this time. Perhaps they were getting some early location shots. :hatsoff:

meeps

Unread postby meeps » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:36 am

Thanks a billion for trying to verify it, Snoopy :love:
If it is all wrong the moderators are of course welcome to delete it :biggrin:

In-too-Depp

Unread postby In-too-Depp » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:40 am

I did actually read yesterday that the film was in production although it gave no details about where, so there might be some truth in the article. It didn't give details about location or who is involved, no mention of Johnny.
And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

PaulKemp

Unread postby PaulKemp » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:55 pm

Last edited by PaulKemp on Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:59 pm

Maybe they are trying to keep things under wraps right now until all the legal melodrama is over, most likely for crowd control and security. :spin:

Jack's Wench

Unread postby Jack's Wench » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:49 pm

I will have to keep an eye on goings on in Lacock ;-)
Dreams really do come true!
Just Believe....... 26th April 2007

"We're having too good a time today, we ain't thinking about tomorrow"

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:50 pm

APRIL 29, 2019 8:35AM PT

‘Fantastic Beasts 3’ Scores 2021 Release Date

By REBECCA RUBIN
Variety

Muggles will have to wait a while before returning to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Warner Bros. announced the third “Fantastic Beasts” film will hit theaters on Nov. 12, 2021. Production on the movie is expected to begin in spring of 2020.

“We are incredibly excited about and have confidence in the ‘Fantastic Beasts’ series,” said Toby Emmerich, Warner Bros. Pictures Group chairman, in a statement. “We all believe this release date will give the filmmakers time and space to allow their artistry to truly flourish and deliver the best possible film to our fans.”

Ron Sanders, Warner Bros. president of worldwide theatrical distribution and home entertainment, added, “J.K. Rowling created an awe-inspiring universe that has captivated people of all ages, taking us on an extraordinary magical journey. Warner Bros. is so proud to be the cinematic home of the Wizarding World and is excited about the future of the ‘Fantastic Beasts’ franchise. We look forward to bringing the third chapter of the five-film series to audiences around the globe in November 2021.”

“Fantastic Beasts 3” is part of a five-part film franchise set in the magical world made popular by Rowling’s “Harry Potter” universe. The prequel series stars Eddie Redmaybe as magizoologist Newt Scamander and takes place in the 1920s, years before the adventures of everyone’s favorite boy wizard.

In the second “Fantastic Beasts” installment, notorious dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald begins his ascent to power, despite the best efforts of Newt and Albus Dumbledore (Jude Law). Frequent “Harry Potter” collaborator David Yates is expected to direct all five films, with the first two being written by Rowling.

“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” became a box office hit, racking in $814 million worldwide. The followup, “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald,” wasn’t as well received and ended its box office run with $653 million.

He has a way of huddling down under his hat and his totems. But when the camera was on him he kind of beamed Johnny out. It was striking, like one of those magic powers in those hobbit movies.
~John H. Richardson

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:28 pm

:thanks!: Joni!

Interesting it doesn't mention who played Grindelwald. :sherlockholmes:

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:58 pm

SnoopyDances wrote: :thanks!: Joni!

I noticed that too. Here is an article that poses the question:
To Depp or not to Depp? That is the question!

He has a way of huddling down under his hat and his totems. But when the camera was on him he kind of beamed Johnny out. It was striking, like one of those magic powers in those hobbit movies.
~John H. Richardson

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:14 pm

Joni wrote:
SnoopyDances wrote: :thanks!: Joni!

I noticed that too. Here is an article that poses the question:
To Depp or not to Depp? That is the question!

Sigh.
Johnny didn't write the script! :lol:

It amazes me how many franchises are out there and movie/film "critics" still don't get it.

The second movie of a 5-part franchise is going to be the set-up to the next installment. Always. The first movie introduces characters, era, plot premise, and that's about it. The second movie moves those characters closer to the bigger plot that is underplayed in the first movie. The third movie moves the characters and plot into place for the epic two-part finale that Hollywood seems to enjoy these days.
Look for the first, third, and final (fifth in this case) movies to have the biggest plot, character development, and CGI. Movies two and four are merely set-up pieces. :twocents:

Newt

Unread postby Newt » Wed May 01, 2019 5:02 am

Not only is this great for everyone involved, I personally love TCOG and never understood the mixed response and criticism, as it gives Jo, Yates, Heyman and co more time to make the film the best it can possibly be, take note of what some of the issues some of the people had with TCOG but it's also good for Johnny too. Not that I give that idiotic rumor that WB is freaking out about him any legitimacy, but this gives him the time to deal with Heard, to win his lawsuit (which will probably be done, I assume, by the time they shoot, or at the very least, in the time between principal photography and release) and to be free of the Heard stink.

It's a win win really.

Agreed Snoopy by the way, I feel TCOG is due for a BIG reevaluation down the road once all the chapters of the story are revealed. A lot of the criticism, aside from the editing bit, has been centered on TCOG supposedly being a film that only sets up a sequel. An absolute dumb criticism, TCOG got a lot of flak, I'm sure, in part because it does a lot of heavy lifting, it has to juggle a lot of moving pieces to the detriment, yes, of certain characters, but that comes with the territory. Dan Fogler has said that the third is bigger than the first two combined, which would also account for a delayed shooting and a longer post production and wait between films.

hollyberry

Unread postby hollyberry » Fri May 03, 2019 11:50 am

I don't know what they mean by 'not well received' - into the UK it was a big box office success and the critics were mostly positive about it. And all of them praised Johnny.

Have to say this but.....
I found Grindelwald extremely hot! :yikes:

Return to “News & Views”