Box Office -- Crimes of Grindelwald

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:29 pm

Opening in the US tonight.
Already out in France and UK.
So far, $10m worldwide.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:30 pm

Box-Office Preview: 'Fantastic Beasts 2' Eyes $65M U.S. Bow for $250M Globally

Hollywood Reporter:

A slew of other movies open as Thanksgiving approaches, including 'Instant Family,' 'Widows' and 'Green Book.'

J.K. Rowling's rollicking world of magic returns to the big screen this weekend with Harry Potter spinoff Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald.

The sequel will easily place No. 1 with a $65 million-plus debut in North America and north of $250 million globally. The movie is expected to pull in especially strong numbers in the U.K., Rowling's home country.

Early international results are promising. The movie opened to $10.1 million on Wednesday from 10 markets. France led with $2.6 million, 54 percent ahead of the first Fantastic Beasts. South Korea wasn't far behind with $2 million, the highest opening day for any film in the Harry Potter universe.

In North America, it remains to be seen whether Crimes of Grindelwald can match the $74.4 million debut of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them on the same pre-Thanksgiving weekend in 2016.

The sequel, directed by David Yates and penned by Rowling, sparked controversy when casting Johnny Depp as the villain Gellert Grindelwald.

Crimes of Grindelwald sees Eddie Redmayne return in the role of Newt Scamander, who is recruited by a young Albus Dumbledore (Jude Law) to take down Grindelwald. The ensemble cast features Katherine Waterston, Dan Fogler, Alison Sudol, Ezra Miller, Zoe Kravitz, Callum Turner and Claudia Kim.

A slew of other films will compete with Fantastic Beasts 2 for attention, including fellow new offerings Widows and Instant Family.

Prerelease tracking shows Widows coming in slightly ahead of Instant Family. Directed by Steve McQueen, the female-fronted heist pic stars Viola Davis, Michelle Rodriguez, Elizabeth Debicki and Cynthia Erivo as a cadre of women who plot to rob a crime boss after their husbands are killed.

Fox, New Regency and See-Saw Films partnered in bringing Widows to the big screen. It is tracking to bring in between $12 million and $18 million in its domestic launch.

From Paramount, Instant Family likewise doesn't lack for star power in pairing Mark Wahlberg and Rose Byrne as a married couple who foster three young children. Tracking shows the film opening anywhere in the $10 million to $21 million range.

The all-audience comedy reteams Wahlberg with his Daddy's Home and Daddy's Home 2 director, Sean Anders.

Widows has awards ambitions, as does Green Book, which launches this weekend in 25 theaters in select markets. From DreamWorks, Participant and Universal, Green Book stars Mahershala Ali and Viggo Mortensen as a classical pianist and Italian-American driver, respectively, who embark on a road trip through the American South in the racially divided 1960s.

Elsewhere at the specialty box office, CBS Films' At Eternity's Gate, from acclaimed director Julian Schnabel and starring Willem Dafoe as Vincent van Gogh, opens in four cinemas in New York City and Los Angeles after premiering at the 2018 Venice Film Festival, where Dafoe was awarded the Coppa Volpi for best actor.
Last edited by SnoopyDances on Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:32 pm

‘Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald’ Casts $10M Spell On Overseas Opening Day – International Box Office

Deadline:

Warner Bros’ Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald is off to a magical start at the international box office. Opening in 10 markets on Wednesday, it cast a $10.1M spell on roughly 9,000 screens (including continuing sneaks in select hubs). France and Korea are the majors in that mix with scores higher than the previous David Yates-directed Harry Potter spinoff. Korea set new benchmarks for both WB and the Wizarding World.

The second Fantastic Beasts movie inspired by the fictitious textbook in JK Rowling’s mythology stars Eddie Redmayne, Katherine Waterston and Ezra Miller. It also expands Johnny Depp’s Gellert Grindelwald villain role while adding Jude Law as a young Albus Dumbledore. Rowling wrote the screenplay and produces with David Heyman, Steve Kloves and Lionel Wigram.

Pre-release projections for the total 79 offshore markets going this weekend are at $188M-$205M, with some sources calling it even higher. In like-for-likes, the first FB movie had an opening weekend of about $180M.

France debuted Wednesday to $2.6M (2.3M euros) with 322K admissions on 903 screens, including sneaks from Tuesday night. FB2 has a dominant 64% of the Top 5 films in the market, and came in 54% ahead of the debut of Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them. France was the No. 6 market on FB1, and the world premiere for Grindelwald was held in Paris on Nov. 8 as part of the movie takes place there.

Korea opened to $2M (KRW 2.3B) on 1,560 screens to score the highest day one launch for the entire Wizarding World, exceeding FB1 by 15%. The result is also WB’s biggest opening day in 2018.

Holland bowed to $619K (550K euros) on 266 screens with a 71% share of the Top 5 films, coming in 67% ahead of FB1. This is the biggest opening day of the year in the market.

Indonesia is also a No. 1 launch with 78% of the Top 5. This is also the best score for the Wizarding World and topped FB1 by 31% at $560K (IDR 8B) from 919.

Previews and openings in the Nordics took in a collective $1.4M for the day, which is 48% ahead of FB1.

There were also some notable No. 1s in limited previews from Wednesday in Germany ($1.2M) and Australia ($622K). In the latter, the sneaks began at just 6:30PM.

There are another 45 markets getting their Newt Scamander fix today, including Germany, Italy, Russia, Brazil and Australia. Friday adds 24 more, including the UK, Spain, China and Mexico. We’ll continue updating throughout the coming days.

Sweeney Todd

Unread postby Sweeney Todd » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:21 pm

It's hard not to give Johnny a little credit for this movie doing better than the first one globally.
:sweeneydepp: Never forget. Never forgive. :sweeneydepp:

In-too-Depp

Unread postby In-too-Depp » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:28 am

Thanks Snoopy, hope this one does better and proves the naysayers wrong about Johnny. From what I've read so far they're giving it a big thumbs up especially his performance.
And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

In-too-Depp

Unread postby In-too-Depp » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:29 am

Sweeney Todd wrote:It's hard not to give Johnny a little credit for this movie doing better than the first one globally.

Yes I think his participation will enhance the story, he does a great job with his character but then that's typical Johnny.

Sweeney Todd

Unread postby Sweeney Todd » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:13 pm

‘Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald’ Steals $9.1M+ In Previews – Update

by Anthony D'Alessandro
November 16, 2018 7:35am

UPDATE FRIDAY 7:35AM: Fantastic Beasts and the Crimes of Grindelwald came in much higher last night with $9.1M. Note that’s not an exact like-for-like with the $8.75M Thursday night previews of Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them‘s from two years ago at this time. The figure includes Tuesday sneaks at 600 locations which minted around $1.8M we hear (hence last night was $7.3M). The David Yates-directed movie is off to a great start. Showtimes began at 5PM and played at roughly 3,300 locations. The J.K. Rowling-penned movie from Warner Bros. is expected to clear $70M in U.S./Canada and not be shackled by its lackluster 45% Rotten Tomatoes score.

:sweeneydepp: Never forget. Never forgive. :sweeneydepp:

RumLover

Unread postby RumLover » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:49 pm

Fantastic Beasts:Crimes of Grindelwald got a B+ Cinemascore. While this is not a bad score, it is lower than any previous Harry Potter universe score.
These are scores from people who saw the movie on opening night so they are people who wanted to see the movie and would have expected to be positive about it. (Unlike internet voting where haters who have not seen a movie can vote.) I think there are many fans who would have given it an A so to get a B+ result, there must have been many who gave it a B or C.
I expect it to have lower USA boxoffice than FB1 due to fewer repeat viewings.
A Harry Potter and The Sorcerers Stone (2001)
A+ Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets (2002)
A Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)
A Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire (2005)
A- Harry Potter and The Order of The Pheonix (2007)
A Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 1 (2010)
A Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011)
A- Harry Potter and Half Blood Prince (2009)
A Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016)
B+ Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018)

In-too-Depp

Unread postby In-too-Depp » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:20 am

Nov 18th (Est)

Domestic: $62,200,000 24.6%
+ Foreign: $191,000,000 75.4%
= Worldwide: $253,200,000

Ruby Begonia

Unread postby Ruby Begonia » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:20 pm

In-too-Depp wrote:Nov 18th (Est)

Hope you don't mind, In- too- Depp, if I expand a little bit on those numbers, which I hope may go up once the final weekend numbers post Tuesday. Plus, there were snowstorms in the midwest and northeastern US and the tragic fires in California, including LA, keeping people from leisure activities.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald started with a terrific debut of $191M overseas and $253M globally, according to Sunday estimates....

If these numbers hold by the time actuals are announced on Monday, it would represent the #22 biggest overseas opening of all time and #38 biggest global opening of all time.

For comparison, 2016’s Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them started with $145.5M overseas and $219.9M globally.

The sequel’s overseas opening represents a 31.2% improvement while its global opening represents a 15.0% improvement.
:cheers:

justintime

Unread postby justintime » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:45 am

Ruby Begonia wrote:
In-too-Depp wrote:Nov 18th (Est)

Hope you don't mind, In- too- Depp, if I expand a little bit on those numbers, which I hope may go up once the final weekend numbers post Tuesday. Plus, there were snowstorms in the midwest and northeastern US and the tragic fires in California, including LA, keeping people from leisure activities.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald started with a terrific debut of $191M overseas and $253M globally, according to Sunday estimates....

If these numbers hold by the time actuals are announced on Monday, it would represent the #22 biggest overseas opening of all time and #38 biggest global opening of all time.

For comparison, 2016’s Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them started with $145.5M overseas and $219.9M globally.

The sequel’s overseas opening represents a 31.2% improvement while its global opening represents a 15.0% improvement.
:cheers:

Thank you, Ruby Begonia, for mentioning Mother Nature’s impact on the reported totals. I didn’t want to seem like I was making excuses, but there is no way those opening weekend numbers were not affected. The lucrative, entire tri-state area was paralyzed by the far worse than predicted winter storm Avery in the Northeast. And I doubt if anyone in horrendously devastated California has had movie openings on their mind lately.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

ForeverYoung

Unread postby ForeverYoung » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:42 pm

Right now it is about $266,000,000. Opening weekend fell a little short for US predictions but surpassed the worldwide prediction. :popcorn:
I saw it and thought all the actors were great. Johnny was a prefect Grindelwald. However, it seemed to focus more on Creedence and why everyone needed to get to him first and there were a lot of back stories going on. But it was absolutely worth seeing and I would see it again.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?i ... nt2018.htm
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

In-too-Depp

Unread postby In-too-Depp » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:10 am

Domestic: $117,117,238 26.6%
+ Foreign: $322,600,000 73.4%
= Worldwide: $439,717,238

November 25th.