WAITING FOR THE BARBARIANS--Updates, Reviews and Discussion

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
AdeleAgain

Re: WAITING FOR THE BARBARIANS--Updates, Reviews and Discussion

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:06 pm

Did you all see this?
So I don't know how well known Mark Rylance is internationally but in the UK he is acting royalty, not just for his acting but for his commitment and work with establishing The Globe. He's an actor's actor - and people who have met him (and I know a couple), speak about his kindness in the same way people speak about Johnny. I'm thinking these two are going to love working together. And then Robert Pattison. He reminds me a bit of Johnny. Actor who came to fame as a team idol, but grew to hate his pin-up-boy status. Rejected attempts to make him into a pretty boy and who probably feels about Twilight the way Johnny felt about 21 Jump Street. Grateful for the chances it gave him, but no way was he going to become a product. And they have a Harry Potter connection. And Lily Rose is doing a movie with RP. I love these circles into circles.

I've just finished reading Waiting for the Barbarians and I cannot wait to see what the three of them do with it. Mark Rylance is ready made for the magistrate. I think Johnny will give a wonderful performance as Colonel Joll - there's several ways to play him and I guess as a director it must be so exciting to take a text like this and create something with an actor as brilliant as JD. It is quite a short book but one of those texts where it is so brilliantly written it is just waiting to be expanded onto a screen. It's all there but waiting for actors to paint onto the canvas.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:34 pm

I am so thrilled that it appears Johnny will be in Waiting For The Barbarians. Coetzee is a superb writer and the role in question is very dark, and I can see Johnny creating a perfect villain. As some of you know I work over at The Zone as an ONBC book discussion manager. I am so hoping we will be choosing this book in the future. Very, very excited about this.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:59 pm

fireflydances wrote:I am so thrilled that it appears Johnny will be in Waiting For The Barbarians. Coetzee is a superb writer and the role in question is very dark, and I can see Johnny creating a perfect villain. As some of you know I work over at The Zone as an ONBC book discussion manager. I am so hoping we will be choosing this book in the future. Very, very excited about this.
So..... this is what happens when you attempt posts before 7 AM. A cautionary tale. :grin:
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Unread post by nebraska » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:49 pm

fireflydances wrote:I am so thrilled that it appears Johnny will be in Waiting For The Barbarians. Coetzee is a superb writer and the role in question is very dark, and I can see Johnny creating a perfect villain. As some of you know I work over at The Zone as an ONBC book discussion manager. I am so hoping we will be choosing this book in the future. Very, very excited about this.
I have read the book. It is amazing.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:33 pm

nebraska wrote: I have read the book. It is amazing.
I can't wait to read it. I have read some of his short stories, on line, and they were amazing. Astounding writer!!!

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:12 pm

Johnny Depp To Star In Ciro Guerra’s Next Film With Robert Pattinson [Zurich Film Festival]

Johnny Depp may be something of a persona non grata in North America, but the controversial actor was met with open arms at the Zurich Film Festival in Switzerland yesterday where he appeared as a guest of honor, premiered his new film, “Richard Says Goodbye” and spoke at an “In Conversation” Q&A talk.

Robert Pattinson Movie With ‘Embrace Of The Serpent’ Director Ciro Guerra Adds Mark Rylance, In Danger Of Being Very Good

Directed by Wayne Roberts (“Katie Says Goodbye”), “Richard Says Goodbye” co-stars Zoey Deutch, Danny Huston, Rosemarie DeWitt and centers on a college professor who lives his life with reckless abandon after being diagnosed with a terminal illness.

Perhaps more interestingly, given the underwhelming reviews for ‘Richard’ so far, Depp revealed he would be making a film with the critically-acclaimed filmmaker Ciro Guerra, whose latest film “Birds of Passage,” co-directed with his partner Cristina Gallego, was heralded at the Cannes Film Festival earlier this year and then selected as the Colombian entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 91st Academy Awards (read our review).

“There’s a film I’m getting ready to go do, based on Nobel Prize-winning author J.M. Coetzee’s book, [“Waiting for the Barbarians”] with Ciro Guerra — a great director — and Mark Rylance,” he explained. “Mark Rylance is really truly a genius. Here’s what’s amazing about Mark Rylance. He’s considered — and is — probably the greatest living Shakespearean actor today, and he refuses to acknowledge that. He makes sort of fun of it. So, it’s Mark Rylance, myself, Robert Pattinson. Super excited, we’re going to shoot that in Morocco towards the end of October.”

Written by Nobel laureate and South African-born writer J. M. Coetzee in 1980, the novel “Waiting For The Barbarians” considers imperialism and tyranny and centers on an imaginary empire, racial strife and power struggles in a fictional colonial village (fun fact, Philip Glass wrote an opera based on the book).

Here’s the Amazon synopsis of “Waiting For The Barbarians”:

For decades the Magistrate has been a loyal servant of the Empire, running the affairs of a tiny frontier settlement and ignoring the impending war with the barbarians. When interrogation experts arrive. However, he witnesses the Empire’s cruel and unjust treatment of prisoners of war. Jolted into sympathy for their victims, he commits a quixotic act of rebellion that brands him an enemy of the state. J. M. Coetzee’s prize-winning novel is a startling allegory of the war between oppressor and oppressed. The Magistrate is not simply a man living through a crisis of conscience in an obscure place in remote times; his situation is that of all men living in unbearable complicity with regimes that ignore justice and decency.

Presumably, the film will be Guerro’s English-language debut, what with Depp, Rylance, and Pattinson in the movie. However, given the indigenous people sure to appear and likely have meaningful roles — and considering the empathy the filmmaker has already shown for the native people of South America and his sensitivity with notions of class — perhaps it will be something of an even split. No concrete details of the film have emerged other than the trio that will star and the book that it’s based on, but with filming set for the end of this month, more details and the official word should arrive soon.

The 14th edition of the Zurich Film Festival presents 160 films from 48 countries.

– Reporting by Jessica Kiang. Photo courtesy of the Zurich Film Festival.

In-too-Depp

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:13 am

And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

moviemom

Unread post by moviemom » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:43 pm

Very cool photo! :cool2: Thanks for the find, ItD. :thanks:
The year's no doubt, have changed me, sir. -- Sweeney Todd :sweeneysmile:

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:19 am

Yummy photo. He's perfect.

This is something silly which caught my eye. You remember I have banged on about how RP really reminds me of Johnny? More so than I thought - Mr Pattinson is another one who uses duct tape to mend his clothes!

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/13/robert-p ... y-8340154/

In-too-Depp

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Fri May 03, 2019 8:15 am

New pic.

And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

Chocolat

Unread post by Chocolat » Fri May 03, 2019 9:47 am

Thanks In-too-Depp! Very cool pic!
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Fri May 03, 2019 3:02 pm

Same pic with a bit of text :heart:

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Fri May 03, 2019 10:08 pm

:thanks!: ITD!

And isn't this the same (similar) look he had when the HV were touring and people worried about his health? :-O
Perhaps he was just filming a movie. :biggrin:

Chocolat

Unread post by Chocolat » Sat May 04, 2019 1:01 am

SnoopyDances wrote::thanks!: ITD!

And isn't this the same (similar) look he had when the HV were touring and people worried about his health? :-O
Perhaps he was just filming a movie. :biggrin:

Good point, SnoopyDances. :agree2:
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Sun May 26, 2019 10:52 am

The new movie poster was revealed at Cannes: