Depp's Kentucky farm to hit the auction block

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:31 am

LA TIMES
The link shows pics

Johnny Depp's Kentucky farm to hit the auction block in September
by Jack Flemming

Life in the country must’ve been a bit too quiet for Johnny Depp, as the Hollywood actor recently put his 41-acre Kentucky horse farm up for auction.

Depp, 54, listed the farm for sale at $3.4 million in December before lowering the price to $2.9 million. The auction, handled by Halfhill Auction Group, is set for Sept. 15.

The estate likely will attract a stampede of interested buyers. Situated in a hilly area outside Lexington, the 1915-built brick residence has six bedrooms and 5,944 square feet of living space.

The living room is adjoined to the sun room, where wall-to-wall windows let in light and provide views of the bucolic pastures. The gourmet kitchen, with stainless steel appliances and a massive wood island, sits opposite sliding glass doors that provide access to the swimming pool and patio area.

A stately brick walkway leads onto the spacious grounds, which encompass a guest house, three barns, 15 stalls and 10 watered paddocks for horses.

Four cars or plenty of farming equipment can fit into the garage.

Gary Denton of Rector Hayden Realtors holds the listing.

Depp, a Kentucky native, bought the farm for $950,000 in 1995, sold it for $1 million in 2001 and then bought it back for $2 million in 2005.

The actor has had memorable roles in films such as “Edward Scissorhands,” “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” and the “Pirates of the Caribbean” movies. He’s thrice been nominated for an Academy Award for lead actor, and his films have grossed about $8 billion worldwide.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:41 am

Variety

A Kentucky Horse Farm Owned by Johnny Depp Heads to Auction
By Mark David
@YourMamaTweets

SELLER: Johnny Depp
PRICE: last listed at $2,900,000
SIZE: 41.32-acres, 5,944 square feet, 6 bedrooms, 6.5 bathrooms plus guesthouse and numerous farm and equestrian buildings

YOUR MAMA’S NOTES: After it failed to secure a buyer on the sales market, a Kentucky hobby horse farm, about eight miles outside historic Lexington and owned by globe-trotting Hollywood heavyweight Johnny Depp, will go up for auction next month. The bucolic 41.32-acre equestrian spread first came sale late last year at $3.4 million and the price tumbled to $2.9 million before an auction, handled by Halfhill Auction Group, was set for September 15. The property has an undisclosed reserve price, the minimum price for which the property will be sold. The “21 Jump Street” teen idol turned three-time Oscar nominated movie star, born in nearby Owensboro, KY, but raised mostly in Florida, has an interesting history of ownership with the rural property that he first purchased in 1995 for $950,000 and sold in 2001 for $1 million only to buy it back in 2005 for $2 million. The property was purchased for his mother, Betty Sue Palmer.

A long, gated drive swoops and curves up to a sprawling, ranch-style main residence of 5,944-square-feet that dates to 1915 and is fronted by a genteel, Georgian-style portico that provides a sweeping view over the farm’s rolling, postcard-picturesque pastures. The interiors are certainly more prosaic and less opulently decorated than the grandiose bohemian extravaganzas of Mister Depp’s myriad residences around the world and include six bedrooms, 6.5 bathrooms, formal living and dining rooms, a home office and a spacious family room that adjoins a glass-roofed sunroom. The sky light topped kitchen has been redone with sleek, modern cabinetry, butcher-block counter tops, high-end appliances and, curiously, wall-to-wall shag carpeting. The house opens to grassy backyard with a swimming pool and a children’s playground and the property additionally includes a small guesthouse or manager’s cottage, a detached four-car garage, a couple of barns with 15 stalls for horses and four automatically watered paddocks.

The timing of the sale/auction may or may not have something to do with the ongoing legal imbroglio in which Mister Depp is embroiled with his former money managers. The top earning star, who earns between $10-20 million per film plus a big chunk of the backend profits but nonetheless found himself to be $40 million in debt, contends his fortune was mismanaged by his former money handlers Joel and Rob Mandel at The Management Group who claim Depp’s weakened financial situation is due to a profoundly profligate lifestyle that cost the lavish living A-Lister about $2 million per month. Mister Depp’s jaw-dropping expenses reportedly includes as much as $30,000 a month for wine, $300,000 a month to maintain an international staff of 40, and another $200,000 a month on private planes. CNBC reported last month Mister Depp’s former business managers, who firmly claim no wrong doing, are now under investigation by three federal agencies for potential fraud and money laundering.

Oceans of high-priced wine and frequent private plane trips aside, the “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise star has long presided over a vast portfolio of extraordinarily high-maintenance properties around the world. In addition to Little Hall’s Pond Cay, a largely undeveloped 45-acre private island in the Bahamas that he picked up in 2004 for around $3.6 million, since 2001 he’s owned a lavish and eclectically decorated, 37-acre village-like compound in the south of France that was for sale in 2015 and 2016 with asking prices that dipped to as low as about $26 million and soared to as high as around $63 million.

In Los Angeles the 53-year-old actor, who has numerous professional irons in the fire including a lead role in the upcoming bio-drama “LAbyrinth” about the 1996 murders of Tupac Shakur and Notorious BIG, owns at least five houses along the same winding cul-de-sac just above the Sunset Strip. The largest of the residences, which are not contiguous, is an imposing 7,500-square-foot chateau-style mansion on about 2.75 landscaped acres he’s owned since 1995 when he bought it for $1.89 million. None of those homes are currently for sale on the open market but at one time Mister Depp owned five penthouses at the iconic Eastern Columbia building in downtown Los Angeles that he acquired in 2007 and ’08 for a total of about $7.2 million and put up for sale last year at a combined price of $12.78 million. Four of the units have been sold for a cumulative $10.22 million and the fifth remains available at $1,799,000.

The farm is listed for sale with Gary Denton of Rector Hayden Realtors.

myfave

Unread postby myfave » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:20 pm

Did anyone know he owned this farm?
"Hello South Carolina" ...............*swoon*

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:14 pm

Definitely a property that I could be comfortable at. Every room in those pics just invites you to sit down and stay a while!

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:58 pm

More pics and a video, from the auction company:

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:09 pm

myfave wrote:Did anyone know he owned this farm?

There have been so many stories and rumors of Johnny buying property somewhere, I just tuned them out.

One story said he bought this for his mother, which I find really hard to believe, considering her age at the time of purchase.

I wonder if it's just the property up for auction or everything inside the homes as well. :perplexed2:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:32 pm

Theresa wrote:Definitely a property that I could be comfortable at. Every room in those pics just invites you to sit down and stay a while!

It is beautiful, isn't it!

brunasouzota

Unread postby brunasouzota » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:38 pm

:agree2: :heartflower:
:heart4: Johnny is my life forever. :kiss: :hug2: :twohearts:

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:18 am

I vaguely remember something about this property, possibly he bought it quite early on in his career. But I think there was some mention of it in the past, but I thought it was something to do with his other sister. I may well be totally wrong.

Ade

Unread postby Ade » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:16 am

I definitely read during listing of assets in the divorce and then reporting on the delightful so-called business managers that he owned a horse farm in Kentucky. I may have got this totally wrong because I'm quite new to following so closely but didn't his mother only start living with him in LA relatively late on? I assume this was the property his sister Deborah and mother lived in. Typically lovely of him to have bought it.

marija

Unread postby marija » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:53 am

Ade wrote:I definitely read during listing of assets in the divorce and then reporting on the delightful so-called business managers that he owned a horse farm in Kentucky. I may have got this totally wrong because I'm quite new to following so closely but didn't his mother only start living with him in LA relatively late on? I assume this was the property his sister Deborah and mother lived in. Typically lovely of him to have bought it.

Yes Ade...I can't remember when or where I've read it , but I've read it , too. And yes , it's typically for Johnny to care for his loved ones. That's one of so many reasons I love this man. :smiliewithhearts:
...it's not easy, to be different..."

brunasouzota

Unread postby brunasouzota » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:58 am

marija wrote:
Ade wrote:I definitely read during listing of assets in the divorce and then reporting on the delightful so-called business managers that he owned a horse farm in Kentucky. I may have got this totally wrong because I'm quite new to following so closely but didn't his mother only start living with him in LA relatively late on? I assume this was the property his sister Deborah and mother lived in. Typically lovely of him to have bought it.

Yes Ade...I can't remember when or where I've read it , but I've read it , too. And yes , it's typically for Johnny to care for his loved ones. That's one of so many reasons I love this man. :smiliewithhearts:

I also remember reading it. It was write in docs of divorce or other about TMG.
:heart4: Johnny is my life forever. :kiss: :hug2: :twohearts:

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:57 pm

Yes, this was Johnny's mom's home.

If you go back to my post above, look at the video. Right at the beginning you will see a sign that says Betty Sue's Family Farm.

Make sure you watch the video in full-screen to read the sign.

Sweeney Todd

Unread postby Sweeney Todd » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:20 pm

Bid Live on Proxibid to Own Johnny Depp's Kentucky Farm

September 11, 2017 12:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time

OMAHA, Neb.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Proxibid, the most trusted way to connect buyers and sellers of highly valued items, has been selected by Halfhill Auction Group and Rector Hayden Realtors to provide online bidding for the auction of Johnny Depp’s Kentucky Farm. The auction will take place at the property on Friday, September 15 at 11:00 am Eastern, with live online bidding via Proxibid commencing at that time. Buyers unable to attend the auction in person can participate with confidence on Proxibid from anywhere in the world with an internet connection.

The Bluegrass horse farm is located just outside Lexington, KY, and only two miles from the renowned Keeneland Race Course. The estate features 41 acres (+/-) with a 6,000-square-foot home offering six bedrooms, seven bathrooms, gourmet kitchen, sunroom, and inground pool. The property also includes three barns and ten paddocks with automatic water. View the online listing and place bids at www.proxibid.com/johnnydepp.

“This is a beautiful property in one of the most sought-after locations in the region,” said Jim Halfhill, Senior Auctioneer of the Halfhill Auction Group. “With a high level of both domestic and international interest in this property, we anticipate a lively auction. We are pleased to work with Proxibid to provide a secure online bidding platform, ensuring anyone in the world can bid and win in this auction.”

The Halfhill Auction Group and Listing Agent, Gary Denton of Rector Hayden Realtors are selling the farm on behalf of actor Johnny Depp, who purchased the farm in 1995, sold it in 2001, and then bought back in 2005 for his mother. As Mr. Depp’s mother passed away in May, 2016, he is not utilizing the farm.

:sweeneydepp: Never forget. Never forgive. :sweeneydepp:

Chocolat

Unread postby Chocolat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:53 pm

Bidding On Depp Farm Ends At $1.4M,
Home Remains For Sale

LEXINGTON, Ky. (LEX 18)-- Johnny Depp Farm, located on Versailles Road, went on the auction block Friday. Unfortunately, despite its connection to the Hollywood actor, the home refused to meet the minimum bid.

Johnny Depp has owned the farm twice. He originally purchased the farm in 1995 for $950,000 and sold it for $1 million.

Depp then bought it back through his trust at $2 million. The property was valued at $2.9 million, but auctioneers got no bid larger than $1.4 million. The auction was stopped as it did not meet the seller's requirements.

The 5,944 square foot estate, built in 1915, was originally listed for $3.4 million, but the price has since been reduced. If that's the sort of money that you have lying around, you can check out a detailed listing online.

Reporter Michael Berk on scene said that it appeared that Radio personality Rick Dees had the highest bid, but that it wasn't accepted by the seller.

~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

Return to “News & Views”