New Dior Campaign

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
Moonbeam

New Dior Campaign

Unread postby Moonbeam » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:27 am

I was scouring the web for anything on this Dior ad campaign. I found at this link an article:

http://www.elle.co.za/join-dior-love-chain/

Join The Dior Love Chain
In a new global campaign, Winnie Harlow, Jennifer Lawrence and Bella Hadid answer a universal question that Natalie Portman and the House of Dior now ask the world.

What would you do for love? You can add your answer to the global conversation by posting it on social media with #diorlovechain and nominate your loved ones to continue the chain by doing the same.

You may change a life in the process: For every Dior Love Chain post, 1 dollar will be donated to WE Charity, a global network working to improve education, health care, and access to clean water in developing countries. The aim is to break the cycle of poverty and child exploitation. In addition, a selection of the best posts will form a travelling exhibition that will open in Shanghai in 2018. Others will be available to read online at Dior.com from September.

WE Charity’s work reaches communities in 9 countries across Latin America, Africa, and Asia, supporting 200,000 children in education programs and providing 30,000 women with the tools to become financially independent. This incredible group has also made access to clean drinking water and medical care possible for almost a million people.

I also found this on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alK_X9LQb-A

Johnny starts at 00:24.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't.- -- Johnny ...Life's pretty good, and why wouldn't it be? I'm a pirate, after all." -- Johnny ...You cannot close your heart to the things you do not want to feel. --Johnny Depp

Judymac

New Dior Campaign

Unread postby Judymac » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Lbock wrote:Dior is getting some awful comments on the IG post with Johnny. Such a shame

I think the negative/nasty comments are probably from fans of his ex wife. They are still angry that her false accusations did not destroy his popularity. I have noticed on sites like the Daily Mail (and others) the same people post the same negative stuff about Johnny. I think people use more than one identity to post comments because sometimes they post the exact same negative comments using different names. She will never be as popular as Johnny and that makes her small group of fans angry.

justintime

New Dior Campaign

Unread postby justintime » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:02 pm

It's not AH's little circle of SJWs that continues to inject its damning hatred for Johnny whenever/wherever it can that is so upsetting. Angry, tunnel-vision comments are and sound blatantly ignorant - always. What I find so abysmally disheartening is the need even legitimate writers (e.g. WSJ; Forbes) seem to have to invariably resurrect the accusations in some form, fleeting or otherwise, anytime they're "reporting" on something Johnny-related. I get the very uncomfortable feeling Johnny is never going to get a truly fair shake on any entertainment/business venture going forward, especially on anything he happens to headline.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

Lbock

New Dior Campaign

Unread postby Lbock » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:45 pm

Once you are accused of domestics abuse I don't think you can ever escape it. His best chance is for her career to die and everyone will forget her, and then everyone will drop it

nebraska

New Dior Campaign

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:23 pm

I am still a bit distressed that we can't hear Johnny speak, although maybe there is a message there about what he did for love, which turned out to have not-so-good results. :-/

justintime

New Dior Campaign

Unread postby justintime » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:59 pm

nebraska wrote:I am still a bit distressed that we can't hear Johnny speak, although maybe there is a message there about what he did for love, which turned out to have not-so-good results. :-/

Yes, nebraska, that bothers me, too. I've yet to hear or read about any reasonable explanation for it. I feel it just makes Johnny standout amongst his peers and not in a particularly good way - just leaves him wide open to become an easy target (yet again) for mean/nasty interpretations.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

jruoss

New Dior Campaign

Unread postby jruoss » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:12 pm

justintime wrote:
nebraska wrote:I am still a bit distressed that we can't hear Johnny speak, although maybe there is a message there about what he did for love, which turned out to have not-so-good results. :-/

Yes, nebraska, that bothers me, too. I've yet to hear or read about any reasonable explanation for it. I feel it just makes Johnny standout amongst his peers and not in a particularly good way - just leaves him wide open to become an easy target (yet again) for mean/nasty interpretations.

I don't know how much I'd read into Johnny's not speaking in this rather too long add. Obviously he's had his recent issues with 'love", but the add has all kinds of people doing all kinds of things. Johnny just happens to be using sign language; like I said, Shades of "My Valentine". I think my first view of that whole thing was relatively objective, and I don't think Johnny's muteness "stands out" or seems particularly awkward. (I'm not sure how many of those people I'd call his "peers".) Honestly though, I don't know what sort of wrong headed comments have been posted, but to me there's nothing strange about Johnny's not verbalizing in this add. I'm glad he doesn't. What would have stood out as slightly weird is if he were signing and speaking at the same time.
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"I've got a lot of Barbies in storage..."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

New Dior Campaign

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:04 am

I think Johnny often comes at things from an unexpected angle. Over the years he's said that he definitely likes to take risks and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. That's a courageous approach.

In terms of his video for the campaign, maybe it was important to him to demonstrate how well we all can understand what he's saying even if we can't hear it. I guess I would have preferred to hear his voice. Was he more than usually self-conscious about what love means to him? About what he'd do for love? Who knows, maybe he's saying "for love I didn't say anything." I don't know.

One thing for sure, the man is true to his own visions.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

stroch

New Dior Campaign

Unread postby stroch » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:49 am

??Wouldn't the art director, video director, and ad campaign manager have to approve a storyboard for this? Its not like all of these people ad-libbed a few seconds is it? And even if they did , someone edited the stock together and many someones thought this would generate sales. Johnny might have suggested being mute, but if it did not fit the ad agency's vision, it would not have happened, so critics can direct their comments to them.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

ForeverYoung

New Dior Campaign

Unread postby ForeverYoung » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:19 am

Looks to me like he is asking "What would you do for love?"
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

Lbock

New Dior Campaign

Unread postby Lbock » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:44 am

fireflydances wrote:I think Johnny often comes at things from an unexpected angle. Over the years he's said that he definitely likes to take risks and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. That's a courageous approach.

In terms of his video for the campaign, maybe it was important to him to demonstrate how well we all can understand what he's saying even if we can't hear it. I guess I would have preferred to hear his voice. Was he more than usually self-conscious about what love means to him? About what he'd do for love? Who knows, maybe he's saying "for love I didn't say anything." I don't know.

One thing for sure, the man is true to his own visions.

And being differerent than the others in the video has caught people's attention and has them talking. So success

Lbock

New Dior Campaign

Unread postby Lbock » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:49 am

If you are on twitter, a bunch of JD supporters have started a campaign to post positive messages under his Dior ad and as stand along tweets. https://twitter.com/dior/status/901848293667479553

We are using the hashtags:

#JohnnyDepp #JohnnyDeppLoveChain #WeSupportJohnnyDepp @Dior

You can search the #johnnydepplovechain to see the tweets and please retweet them

Thanks for joining in

Ade

New Dior Campaign

Unread postby Ade » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:20 am

I've just been scrolling really quickly through the Instagram comments - too many to load but it looks like you've all done an absolutely amazing job at spreading the love! I'm amused to see the Times has reported that the campaign has caused outrage by using him - a Rupert Murdoch owned newspaper of course.

Ade

New Dior Campaign

Unread postby Ade » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:36 pm

Just spreading a bit of cheer - the Sauvage picture was back up today all along my walk home from walk. Happy days :flashingheart:

sleepy
JDZ Founder

New Dior Campaign

Unread postby sleepy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:42 am

It's something we have to deal with, for the rest of his career. Amber really did a number on him and Johnny's way of handling it, by not making her go to court with the claims, worked greatly in her favor. He was never "cleared" by the public. In this case, "silence" did him no favors. It will always be a cloud over him. She gets around the court order by making a big deal about helping causes of abused women...making it clear she herself suffered abuse. It happened and can't be changed. It's sad, but nothing we can do will make a difference. It's Johnny's call, if he ever chooses to discuss the fallout. Which of course he won't.
Funny ol' world, innit?

Return to “News & Views”