Johnny presents his favourite movies at Glastonbury, June 22 (Videos added)

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
redrascal1

Unread postby redrascal1 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:06 pm

fireflydances wrote:I think it's very telling that Johnny's remarks came on the night he was introducing The Libertine. The Earl of Rochester was known for writing plays that said the wrong thing. He was irascible, unprepared to moderate his tone, and in the end, his ungovernable contempt for the ruling class, especially Charles II got him in a heap of trouble. A pure artist unwilling to curb his attitude.

Which is why I love Rochester - and Johnny - but sadly we live in times where freedom of speech is getting less 'free' every day. :no2:

redrascal1

Unread postby redrascal1 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:12 pm

RumLover wrote:
Lbock wrote:I want him to be different from Kathy Griffin or Madonna, etc. I actually want him to go to Trump, face to face to apologize. Maybe offer to be an ambassador for UNICEF..something he can do for children as that is how he truly excels. Make a difference. A real Mia cul pa (I mean if he wants to save his career) Show he mispoke versus the others who did and just apologized to a camera Lens. Maybe Donald jr would even retract after that. Maybe he really doesn't give an F's anymore.

I lost my train of thought, I misspoke. No harm intended. Never meant to suggest assasinate you. Unlike Kathy who intended the decalitated head, Seriously, that's how I feel.

I disagree. He should stay away from Trump. Trump does not seem gracious enough to accept an apology in person. JD trying to do more would be interpreted as publicity seeking by some.
JD has said little publicly to defend himself in the past year and it was probably the best option. (Despite supposed PR experts telling news shows that he should do a sit down interview to explain himself.) Having apologized and said that he did not intend malice, JD should move on and hope that it is overtaken by whatever tomorrow's news is. This will be remembered but maybe more so by people who did not like him anyway.

Regarding Trump...
Here's some of the things he's said.
And not apologised for.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/politi ... one-place/

http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/entertainm ... otes-57213

Lbock

Unread postby Lbock » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:44 pm

songstress wrote:Shall I be a voice of reason?

Johnny's career is not going to end due to this. It's a numbers thing. Those Trump supporters are a small portion of the US population. And so far their "viral" attempts to get him fired are less than 3500. ;)

I don't know how to look up the tally number for #'s on Twitter, how do you do that?

Judymac

Unread postby Judymac » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:12 pm

redrascal1 wrote:
RumLover wrote:
Lbock wrote:I want him to be different from Kathy Griffin or Madonna, etc. I actually want him to go to Trump, face to face to apologize. Maybe offer to be an ambassador for UNICEF..something he can do for children as that is how he truly excels. Make a difference. A real Mia cul pa (I mean if he wants to save his career) Show he mispoke versus the others who did and just apologized to a camera Lens. Maybe Donald jr would even retract after that. Maybe he really doesn't give an F's anymore.

I lost my train of thought, I misspoke. No harm intended. Never meant to suggest assasinate you. Unlike Kathy who intended the decalitated head, Seriously, that's how I feel.

I disagree. He should stay away from Trump. Trump does not seem gracious enough to accept an apology in person. JD trying to do more would be interpreted as publicity seeking by some.
JD has said little publicly to defend himself in the past year and it was probably the best option. (Despite supposed PR experts telling news shows that he should do a sit down interview to explain himself.) Having apologized and said that he did not intend malice, JD should move on and hope that it is overtaken by whatever tomorrow's news is. This will be remembered but maybe more so by people who did not like him anyway.

Regarding Trump...
Here's some of the things he's said.
And not apologised for.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/politi ... one-place/

http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/entertainm ... otes-57213

Just because Trump is a jerk and says stupid things does not justify someone else saying stupid things. We all know that Donald Trump has said stupid things.

I do not think that he should apologize to Trump. He apologized and it is over.

songstress

Unread postby songstress » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:28 pm

Judymac wrote:
songstress wrote:Shall I be a voice of reason?

Johnny's career is not going to end due to this. It's a numbers thing. Those Trump supporters are a small portion of the US population. And so far their "viral" attempts to get him fired are less than 3500.

There are billions of people in the world. None of them will hold this against him. Forbes just ran a great story about how Pirates 5 will pass $800 mil when it hits Japan and that's with a "low domestic haul."

The world is much bigger than the USA and Trump supporters can't tell them what to watch!

And let's talk star power...Every celebrity that Trump people have taken on thus far is smaller than Trump. Even Streep and Deniro don't have Johnny's global star power. These people will be crying and stopping their feet when Pirates grosses $100+ million in Japan. Because they will realize they can't stop him. :biggrin:

So everyone take a deep breath. I am confident it will be ok. We speak with our dollars. So maybe just go see Pirates again for kicks! ;)

I think it is a bit short sighted to think that this is just about Trump supporters. You are looking at this as a fan. The US Service are the ones who are handle the security of *all* presidents. It is their job to assess threats to the president. It does not matter what their political views are. The same men who are protecting Trump also protected Obama. "Threatening the President of the United States is a class E felony under United States Code Title 18, Section 871.[1][2][3] It consists of knowingly and willfully mailing or otherwise making "any threat to take the life of, to kidnap, or to inflict bodily harm upon the President of the United States". I **do not** think Johnny meant this as a real threat. I am sure the US Secret Service will come to the conclusion that he did not mean any harm. But, any talk of harming a President is taken seriously. The Secret Service does not have a sense of humor. Again I am sure they will come to the conclusion that this was not a threat. IMO, it is just stupid for anyone to make any kind of joke about killing a US President. I am not a Trump supporter I would feel the same way if someone made a joke about Obama or any other US President. I don't think it will ruin Johnny's career but I also don't think making a joke about killing someone is funny.

I was commenting purely on the impact to his career and I never said it was funny.

I leave the legality to actual lawyers. Though given history I highly doubt Johnny will get anything more than a warning.

ibbi 3

Unread postby ibbi 3 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:39 pm

nebraska wrote:My oldest son isn't much younger than Johnny and I can certainly see him saying something foolish like Johnny did, but the world is not listening to everything he says. Being a public figure carries a burden of responsibility, desired or not. You do not have to like the president to be respectful of the office.

I think it should be remembered that President Trump has a 10-year-old son. People talking about killing his dad, even in jest, has to be distressing for that child.

What about all the things Trump says himself?
Donald Trump Suggests ‘Second Amendment People’ Could Act Against Hillary Clinton

...he ( Trump ) could stand on New York’s Fifth Avenue “and shoot somebody” and still not lose voters.

Trump supporter who called for Clinton to be 'shot' attends bill signing

There has never been a greater bully then Trump as president, he says the most rude things and people still voted for him.

Artists and everybody have the right of freedom of speech. At least they do in my country, and I thought it is the same in the US. Johnny didn't make a threat, and made a bad joke. Thats what some artists do. It's never as bad and dangerous as people in office say...
Joel:"That's the movies, Ed. Try reality." Ed:"No thanks." Northern Exposure

justintime

Unread postby justintime » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:02 pm

Johnny tried to respond spontaneously to an audience comment/question with an unscripted "joke" and found himself in PC quicksand. His choice of words was inexcusable and he apologized in a timely and appropriate manner. He is the one who will suffer most from his irreverence, personally and professionally, but particularly by having sacrificed the golden opportunity to introduce a whole other generation to his poet-hero, Wilmot.

In any event, you may want to check this out (this writer has put together some positive but circuitous pieces on Johnny before; this is a little better and directly related to the Glastonbury incident):
http://www.inquisitr.com/opinion/431913 ... o-serious/
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:17 pm

There is simply too much bad will in the world today. I am surely not alone is saying that it has become more and more difficult to discuss politics among co-workers, friends or family. At work our small group has broken down completely, the common table no longer shared, because we can longer actually talk to each other. I have relatives who have said things to other relatives that have caused walls to go up. I purchased a lovely Boston Terrier this fall from a woman whose Facebook page is now alive with vitriol. I will not turn away, but I sure am uncomfortable.

The only place that I find to be safe for expressing my opinions is the opinion pages of newspapers like the NY Times etc. Which demand a certain degree of formality and good manners. And I feel very passionate about my politics. But never here, never on any Depp fan site because I don't want anyone of us to walk away or feel slighted.

In this rough new world we need safe places where every person feels welcome. Without safe places we will isolate ourselves further till there is no place we can be ourselves.

And I don't want to lose anymore common places.

And the link above this post talking about Depp was very well written and I completely agree. He is not a public speaker. His joke was not well done. He is a wonderful man however and I stick tight to him. There is no malice in this man.

Oh what a world we live in now. I fear whatever comes next, having read a good deal of history.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:42 pm

Well said ffd. The area for opinions are getting smaller and must be chosen carefully. Keep the Zone pure. Just my thought. :hug:

Scout

Unread postby Scout » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:12 pm

Johnny's comment was ill-conceived and I agree that his apology is sufficient. The dozens of Trump's comments, on the other hand, that we as a country have been subjected to for almost two years now, those are inexcusable, unceasing and without apology.

Texas Gal

Unread postby Texas Gal » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:32 pm

What fun for those at Glastonbury to have Johnny there and actually talking himself about his movies - which we know he isn't all that comfortable doing. :applause2: I know those there are having a great time, both with the movie aspect and also with the music. I'm not a music person myself, so am not into that part, but obviously the crowd at Glastonbury must be fully enjoying this. :goodvibes: Kudos, Johnny!

As far as the comments he made, I am certainly disappointed. I agree with some who have said that our terribly divided country, and world, does not need more negativity and hateful words/images. And my frustration is that celebrities that voice their opinions in all manner of situations seem to automatically assume everyone in the world agrees with them, which is not true at all. It's not even a matter of 'free speech'. Just because you are able to say something, does not mean you should. There is a time and place for politics, and this was not it. Yes, it will blow over and I doubt it will affect his career in any way. However, the number of people who disagree with his politics are more than just a few. There is no taking back words once they are spoken, even with an apology though it was the right thing to do. Will I keep following his career, watching his movies, etc.? Yes. Will I continue to be disappointed that he chose this avenue to 'joke around' in this way. Unfortunately, yes. :-/
"We forget what a gift every single breath is." Johnny on ITAS

Lbock

Unread postby Lbock » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:01 pm

FYI

Jk Rowling tweeted...

'Irreverence is the champion of liberty and its only sure defence.' -- Mark Twain

:lovehearts:

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:38 pm

Lbock wrote:FYI

Jk Rowling tweeted...

'Irreverence is the champion of liberty and its only sure defence.' -- Mark Twain

:lovehearts:

Yes, Ade posted her quote this morning (see page 6) but it is worth repeating! :spin:
Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
~Euripides

Lbock

Unread postby Lbock » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:40 pm

Ade wrote:I was so hopingJK Rowling would weigh in on this with one of her wonderful, pointed tweets and she has - a quote from Mark Twain - Irreverence is the champion of liberty and its only sure defence.' I am so excited she and Johnny will work together.

I didn't see you posted this. Read it on my phone in the car and wanted to jump for joy. Feeling hopeful on this

RamblinRebel

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:33 am

Hey guys. I haven’t posted in a long while, and I’m not even sure if I should. I’m struggling and struggling with what to say here. And what not to say. I respect the Zone, and want to respect the “safe place” idea. So I keep re-writing my comments. And deleting my rants. But yet, I’ve got to get at least some of this out. I’m on my 5th rewrite, and less is probably the best approach so I’ll leave it at this: I disagree with the idea that Johnny’s comment was born out of hate, or even hate-filled. Quite the opposite actually. I believe it was born out of love. A very deep and profound love. A love of country, a love of liberty, a love of freedom, a love of the earth, and probably more than anything, a love of his fellow human being. Should he have said it? No, of course not. Even with as much as I detest that thing occupying the oval office, I still pray no one shoots it. Because that could very well start a civil war. Violence begets violence. Violence is never the solution. All that said, knowing now how deeply troubled he is about the state of our nation, possibly of our world, it only makes me admire him more. I would love to see him become more involved in politics - in a constructive way. Movie contracts and sales be damned.

And 3 cheers for Ms. Rowling!!! God I love that woman.

Return to “News & Views”