Johnny presents his favourite movies at Glastonbury, June 22 (Videos added)

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
Ade

Unread postby Ade » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:54 am

And also this lovely piece in the Daily Telegraph of all things - not natural Depp fans (there are other reviews - worth looking through them)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/concer ... astonbury/
:flashingheart:

redrascal1

Unread postby redrascal1 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:12 am

justintime wrote:
fireflydances wrote:I think at the very bottom we would be delirious if the guy could always be perfect in public. We are so proud of him, so joyful to know him just a little, and we want everyone to understand what we know. And he comes darn close to perfection in the way he treats people, in the way he seeks out opportunities to bring joy to children and their families, in the way he respectfully deals with his fans. But who is perfect in the end? He has an enormous stage to walk on, worldwide 24 hours, 7 days a week big, and most of the times he knocks it out of the park, but not always. He is downright lousy public speaker -- gets off subject, goes in to hard to follow directions, appears under the influence and says things that don't go down well. He is absolutely aware of it, and instead of foregoing opportunities to speak out, he walks the wire and tries again. You or I might counsel restraint, but I truly believe the guy is a wire walker to the core and has no intention of ever playing it safe. Not his way, not his thing.

So, what are we to do? Accept him, with flaws. Because that stage he lives on gives him no quarter whatsoever.

You are so right, fireflydances. I have to wonder, though, if he isn't getting weary of the struggle to successfully navigate that stage day in and day out: too much sustained and intense negativity, too many lies, too many betrayals, too many worthless but determined adversaries . . . Bottom line, Johnny Depp is a good man. Will he be able/allowed to move forward?

He was joking, let's face it, and frankly Trump has said - and done - some pretty vile things himself.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:18 am

When they showed the audience on tv some of the time some were not even watching. Those at the front were clearly enjoying joining in withe the songs most of them were of a more mature age. As I said above it was kind of a ramshackle performance, Kris kept forgetting the words or how songs ended but he wasn't taking it too seriously. Age has settled in his voice which means his singing was not what it was and it was kind of monotone.
I think another oldie is playing today in the shape of Barry Gibb.

Judymac

Unread postby Judymac » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:32 am

songstress wrote:Shall I be a voice of reason?

Johnny's career is not going to end due to this. It's a numbers thing. Those Trump supporters are a small portion of the US population. And so far their "viral" attempts to get him fired are less than 3500.

There are billions of people in the world. None of them will hold this against him. Forbes just ran a great story about how Pirates 5 will pass $800 mil when it hits Japan and that's with a "low domestic haul."

The world is much bigger than the USA and Trump supporters can't tell them what to watch!

And let's talk star power...Every celebrity that Trump people have taken on thus far is smaller than Trump. Even Streep and Deniro don't have Johnny's global star power. These people will be crying and stopping their feet when Pirates grosses $100+ million in Japan. Because they will realize they can't stop him. :biggrin:

So everyone take a deep breath. I am confident it will be ok. We speak with our dollars. So maybe just go see Pirates again for kicks! ;)

I think it is a bit short sighted to think that this is just about Trump supporters. You are looking at this as a fan. The US Service are the ones who are handle the security of *all* presidents. It is their job to assess threats to the president. It does not matter what their political views are. The same men who are protecting Trump also protected Obama. "Threatening the President of the United States is a class E felony under United States Code Title 18, Section 871.[1][2][3] It consists of knowingly and willfully mailing or otherwise making "any threat to take the life of, to kidnap, or to inflict bodily harm upon the President of the United States". I **do not** think Johnny meant this as a real threat. I am sure the US Secret Service will come to the conclusion that he did not mean any harm. But, any talk of harming a President is taken seriously. The Secret Service does not have a sense of humor. Again I am sure they will come to the conclusion that this was not a threat. IMO, it is just stupid for anyone to make any kind of joke about killing a US President. I am not a Trump supporter I would feel the same way if someone made a joke about Obama or any other US President. I don't think it will ruin Johnny's career but I also don't think making a joke about killing someone is funny.

sparralet

Unread postby sparralet » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:23 am

*Video removed, not available any more.
~Joni

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:51 am

Thanks for the new video, sparralet! It's nice to see Johnny doing something he loves. :elvis:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:17 am

I think it's very telling that Johnny's remarks came on the night he was introducing The Libertine. The Earl of Rochester was known for writing plays that said the wrong thing. He was irascible, unprepared to moderate his tone, and in the end, his ungovernable contempt for the ruling class, especially Charles II got him in a heap of trouble. A pure artist unwilling to curb his attitude.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:52 am

My oldest son isn't much younger than Johnny and I can certainly see him saying something foolish like Johnny did, but the world is not listening to everything he says. Being a public figure carries a burden of responsibility, desired or not. You do not have to like the president to be respectful of the office.

I think it should be remembered that President Trump has a 10-year-old son. People talking about killing his dad, even in jest, has to be distressing for that child.

Judymac

Unread postby Judymac » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:54 am

nebraska wrote:My oldest son isn't much younger than Johnny and I can certainly see him saying something foolish like Johnny did, but the world is not listening to everything he says. Being a public figure carries a burden of responsibility, desired or not. You do not have to like the president to be respectful of the office.

I think it should be remembered that President Trump has a 10-year-old son. People talking about killing his dad, even in jest, has to be distressing for that child.

Totally agree

Ade

Unread postby Ade » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:14 am

I was so hopingJK Rowling would weigh in on this with one of her wonderful, pointed tweets and she has - a quote from Mark Twain - Irreverence is the champion of liberty and its only sure defence.' I am so excited she and Johnny will work together.

Lbock

Unread postby Lbock » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:30 am

FYI In case you aren't on tritter....

There have been a few prominent twitter users with a huge following that have been asking people to call Disney and CAA providing them with numbers and addresses to write to "boycott and #firedepp. Many of their followers are then Retweeting this stuff

Some have posted that CAA operator said they have received 1,000s of calls and will be releasing a statement at some point. Another person claimed that Johnnys PR company will soon be issuing a statement (that may have been the apology in People)

Lbock

Unread postby Lbock » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:30 am

Ade wrote:I was so hopingJK Rowling would weigh in on this with one of her wonderful, pointed tweets and she has - a quote from Mark Twain - Irreverence is the champion of liberty and its only sure defence.' I am so excited she and Johnny will work together.

I pray she and Warner Brothers hang tight

redrascal1

Unread postby redrascal1 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:53 am

Lbock wrote:FYI In case you aren't on tritter....

There have been a few prominent twitter users with a huge following that have been asking people to call Disney and CAA providing them with numbers and addresses to write to "boycott and #firedepp. Many of their followers are then Retweeting this stuff

Some have posted that CAA operator said they have received 1,000s of calls and will be releasing a statement at some point. Another person claimed that Johnnys PR company will soon be issuing a statement (that may have been the apology in People)

I'm sorry but I just can't believe this. :banghead2:

savvypiratemonky

Unread postby savvypiratemonky » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:59 am

Lbock wrote:FYI In case you aren't on tritter....

No one who called any of these places got beyond the operators desk. Agencies, especially CAA, are like brick walls, you will not be passed to a desk just because you demand something. The number that is posted for CAA beginnning with 424 is only to the main desk, that prefix is commonly used in LA for general business lines and is not the prefix that is used for real lines (those would be 310 or 323 in that area).

If CAA actually says anything about this I will eat my hat. I can just envision those at the operators desk coming up with clever things to say to appease these people. Also that twitter trend had less than 5k tweets, hardly viral, and was off trending last night.

Any minute now someone else will say something stupid and everyone will move on to them. This will be over momentarily.

sofia

Unread postby sofia » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:03 pm

fireflydances wrote:I think it's very telling that Johnny's remarks came on the night he was introducing The Libertine. The Earl of Rochester was known for writing plays that said the wrong thing. He was irascible, unprepared to moderate his tone, and in the end, his ungovernable contempt for the ruling class, especially Charles II got him in a heap of trouble. A pure artist unwilling to curb his attitude.

Thank you so much firefly and I totally agree. Johnny is an artitst and at that time he was part the Earl of Rochester!

Return to “News & Views”