Johnny presents his favourite movies at Glastonbury, June 22 (Videos added)

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
User avatar
meeps
Posts: 2428
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:13 am
Location: Hiding in my imagination?
Contact:

Status: Offline

Johnny presents his favourite movies at Glastonbury, June 22 (Videos added)

Unread postby meeps » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:47 am

Very well said, RamblinRebel :ok: :agreesign: :applause2:

redrascal1
Posts: 869
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:26 pm

Status: Offline

Johnny presents his favourite movies at Glastonbury, June 22 (Videos added)

Unread postby redrascal1 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:30 am

Judymac wrote:
redrascal1 wrote:
RumLover wrote:I disagree. He should stay away from Trump. Trump does not seem gracious enough to accept an apology in person. JD trying to do more would be interpreted as publicity seeking by some.
JD has said little publicly to defend himself in the past year and it was probably the best option. (Despite supposed PR experts telling news shows that he should do a sit down interview to explain himself.) Having apologized and said that he did not intend malice, JD should move on and hope that it is overtaken by whatever tomorrow's news is. This will be remembered but maybe more so by people who did not like him anyway.


Regarding Trump...
Here's some of the things he's said.
And not apologised for.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/politi ... one-place/

http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/entertainm ... otes-57213



Just because Trump is a jerk and says stupid things does not justify someone else saying stupid things. We all know that Donald Trump has said stupid things.

I do not think that he should apologize to Trump. He apologized and it is over.


Maybe so but the hypocrisy of Trump's supporters is beyond belief. And let's face it, Johnny's just an actor - Trump is the most powerful man in the world.

User avatar
brunasouzota
Posts: 761
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:06 pm

Status: Offline

Johnny presents his favourite movies at Glastonbury, June 22 (Videos added)

Unread postby brunasouzota » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:31 am

RamblinRebel wrote:Hey guys. I haven’t posted in a long while, and I’m not even sure if I should. I’m struggling and struggling with what to say here. And what not to say. I respect the Zone, and want to respect the “safe place” idea. So I keep re-writing my comments. And deleting my rants. But yet, I’ve got to get at least some of this out. I’m on my 5th rewrite, and less is probably the best approach so I’ll leave it at this: I disagree with the idea that Johnny’s comment was born out of hate, or even hate-filled. Quite the opposite actually. I believe it was born out of love. A very deep and profound love. A love of country, a love of liberty, a love of freedom, a love of the earth, and probably more than anything, a love of his fellow human being. Should he have said it? No, of course not. Even with as much as I detest that thing occupying the oval office, I still pray no one shoots it. Because that could very well start a civil war. Violence begets violence. Violence is never the solution. All that said, knowing now how deeply troubled he is about the state of our nation, possibly of our world, it only makes me admire him more. I would love to see him become more involved in politics - in a constructive way. Movie contracts and sales be damned.

And 3 cheers for Ms. Rowling!!! God I love that woman.


Movie contracts and sales be damned? :-O :no2:
Johnny is a artist, he is not a politic. :bored:
Last edited by brunasouzota on Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
:heart4: Johnny is my life forever. :kiss: :hug2: :twohearts:

redrascal1
Posts: 869
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:26 pm

Status: Offline

Johnny presents his favourite movies at Glastonbury, June 22 (Videos added)

Unread postby redrascal1 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:32 am

Scout wrote:Johnny's comment was ill-conceived and I agree that his apology is sufficient. The dozens of Trump's comments, on the other hand, that we as a country have been subjected to for almost two years now, those are inexcusable, unceasing and without apology.


Exactly. His comments on Barack Obama alone creeped me out.

User avatar
shaman-art
Posts: 364
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 12:19 pm
Location: near Hamburg (Germany)

Status: Offline

Johnny presents his favourite movies at Glastonbury, June 22 (Videos added)

Unread postby shaman-art » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:10 am

Some anonymous wrote on tumblr "I think this time Johnny should put his pride and personal beliefs aside and basically shut his mouth. For his family and for his own good."

My answer is: NO!

We have already way to many celebrities out there who only utter the same PR- and lawyer-approved text modules over and over again. Scared to death if one wrong word could harm the promotion for a movie, album, book or maybe their career. Freedom of speech killed by fear. If more of them would open up from time to time of course we'd have more diversity of opinion in the media. What's wrong with that? Nothing. But it might cause more people to think their own thoughts and not following blindly somebody who lies as he breathes.
Johnny isn't much of a public speaker. He never was and most likely never will be. Sometimes his mind is much faster than his mouth, making it impossible for him to finish a sentence. This time not only his mind but also his gut found a way to his tongue. You may say it was a bad joke. OK. In terms of humor or what's funny and what not people are different, especially when it comes to politics. But I noticed that Trump-voters are especially thin-skinned. They are OK with somebody of their own ilk threatening Clinton in all seriousness. They are OK with that carrot's behavior towards immigrants, women and disabled people. Textbook hypocrisy. As soon as somebody turns the tables they go mental.
Johnny never said and never intended to say : "Ok, let's go, grab a gun and kill the president." Keep in mind where he said that. At a festival that's sometimes called the"English Woodstock". What does that most likely say about the audience? Not exactly a place for Trump fans. What he meant and what I strongly agree with is "Remove that lying orange :censored: from office before he can do any more damage". And I wish more celebrities would stand up and say exactly that.
To silence voices like his - however lame this joke was - will leave us alone with small-minded posts on twitter.

One reason I like him is because he's so unrestrained. And I hope nobody tries to muzzle him.

User avatar
Gitane
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:49 am
Location: somewhere on earth

Status: Offline

Johnny presents his favourite movies at Glastonbury, June 22 (Videos added)

Unread postby Gitane » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:32 am

shaman-art wrote:Some anonymous wrote on tumblr "I think this time Johnny should put his pride and personal beliefs aside and basically shut his mouth. For his family and for his own good."

My answer is: NO!

We have already way to many celebrities out there who only utter the same PR- and lawyer-approved text modules over and over again. Scared to death if one wrong word could harm the promotion for a movie, album, book or maybe their career. Freedom of speech killed by fear. If more of them would open up from time to time of course we'd have more diversity of opinion in the media. What's wrong with that? Nothing. But it might cause more people to think their own thoughts and not following blindly somebody who lies as he breathes.
Johnny isn't much of a public speaker. He never was and most likely never will be. Sometimes his mind is much faster than his mouth, making it impossible for him to finish a sentence. This time not only his mind but also his gut found a way to his tongue. You may say it was a bad joke. OK. In terms of humor or what's funny and what not people are different, especially when it comes to politics. But I noticed that Trump-voters are especially thin-skinned. They are OK with somebody of their own ilk threatening Clinton in all seriousness. They are OK with that carrot's behavior towards immigrants, women and disabled people. Textbook hypocrisy. As soon as somebody turns the tables they go mental.
Johnny never said and never intended to say : "Ok, let's go, grab a gun and kill the president." Keep in mind where he said that. At a festival that's sometimes called the"English Woodstock". What does that most likely say about the audience? Not exactly a place for Trump fans. What he meant and what I strongly agree with is "Remove that lying orange :censored: from office before he can do any more damage". And I wish more celebrities would stand up and say exactly that.
To silence voices like his - however lame this joke was - will leave us alone with small-minded posts on twitter.

One reason I like him is because he's so unrestrained. And I hope nobody tries to muzzle him.


I couldn't have said it better. I totally agree. thanks
I'm impossible to forget, but I'm hard to remember :cheers:

redrascal1
Posts: 869
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:26 pm

Status: Offline

Johnny presents his favourite movies at Glastonbury, June 22 (Videos added)

Unread postby redrascal1 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:04 pm

Gitane wrote:
shaman-art wrote:Some anonymous wrote on tumblr "I think this time Johnny should put his pride and personal beliefs aside and basically shut his mouth. For his family and for his own good."

My answer is: NO!

We have already way to many celebrities out there who only utter the same PR- and lawyer-approved text modules over and over again. Scared to death if one wrong word could harm the promotion for a movie, album, book or maybe their career. Freedom of speech killed by fear. If more of them would open up from time to time of course we'd have more diversity of opinion in the media. What's wrong with that? Nothing. But it might cause more people to think their own thoughts and not following blindly somebody who lies as he breathes.
Johnny isn't much of a public speaker. He never was and most likely never will be. Sometimes his mind is much faster than his mouth, making it impossible for him to finish a sentence. This time not only his mind but also his gut found a way to his tongue. You may say it was a bad joke. OK. In terms of humor or what's funny and what not people are different, especially when it comes to politics. But I noticed that Trump-voters are especially thin-skinned. They are OK with somebody of their own ilk threatening Clinton in all seriousness. They are OK with that carrot's behavior towards immigrants, women and disabled people. Textbook hypocrisy. As soon as somebody turns the tables they go mental.
Johnny never said and never intended to say : "Ok, let's go, grab a gun and kill the president." Keep in mind where he said that. At a festival that's sometimes called the"English Woodstock". What does that most likely say about the audience? Not exactly a place for Trump fans. What he meant and what I strongly agree with is "Remove that lying orange :censored: from office before he can do any more damage". And I wish more celebrities would stand up and say exactly that.
To silence voices like his - however lame this joke was - will leave us alone with small-minded posts on twitter.

One reason I like him is because he's so unrestrained. And I hope nobody tries to muzzle him.


I couldn't have said it better. I totally agree. thanks


Same here. Johnny's utter honesty is one of the things I love about him!

justintime
Posts: 1078
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:39 pm

Status: Offline

Johnny presents his favourite movies at Glastonbury, June 22 (Videos added)

Unread postby justintime » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:38 pm

shaman-art wrote:Some anonymous wrote on tumblr "I think this time Johnny should put his pride and personal beliefs aside and basically shut his mouth. For his family and for his own good."

My answer is: NO!

We have already way to many celebrities out there who only utter the same PR- and lawyer-approved text modules over and over again. Scared to death if one wrong word could harm the promotion for a movie, album, book or maybe their career. Freedom of speech killed by fear. If more of them would open up from time to time of course we'd have more diversity of opinion in the media. What's wrong with that? Nothing. But it might cause more people to think their own thoughts and not following blindly somebody who lies as he breathes.
Johnny isn't much of a public speaker. He never was and most likely never will be. Sometimes his mind is much faster than his mouth, making it impossible for him to finish a sentence. This time not only his mind but also his gut found a way to his tongue. You may say it was a bad joke. OK. In terms of humor or what's funny and what not people are different, especially when it comes to politics. But I noticed that Trump-voters are especially thin-skinned. They are OK with somebody of their own ilk threatening Clinton in all seriousness. They are OK with that carrot's behavior towards immigrants, women and disabled people. Textbook hypocrisy. As soon as somebody turns the tables they go mental.
Johnny never said and never intended to say : "Ok, let's go, grab a gun and kill the president." Keep in mind where he said that. At a festival that's sometimes called the"English Woodstock". What does that most likely say about the audience? Not exactly a place for Trump fans. What he meant and what I strongly agree with is "Remove that lying orange :censored: from office before he can do any more damage". And I wish more celebrities would stand up and say exactly that.
To silence voices like his - however lame this joke was - will leave us alone with small-minded posts on twitter.

One reason I like him is because he's so unrestrained. And I hope nobody tries to muzzle him.


That is a beautifully written, thought provoking piece, shaman-art. Thank you for posting it here. I can't seem to grasp even one aspect of this multifaceted mess long enough to reason it through to where I can let it go for a while. I find it enormously helpful to read clear, organized, and balanced comments that I am gratified to find, in large measure, mirror my own.

One sentiment I don't read as often, if at all, today are the casual dismissals of concern for the man himself. The horrendous outlash toward Johnny of demand for punishment and consequences is tentacled, downright frenzied now, and at fever-pitch levels with no signs of abating. Some have suggested his decision to go in the direction he did was self-indulgent, especially toward his family. I hold on to the hope he gave his children some serious forewarning of what to expect, although I'm beginning to wonder if even Johnny himself had a realistic handle on what the fallout might truly entail (given the escalating TMG component).
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

User avatar
shaman-art
Posts: 364
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 12:19 pm
Location: near Hamburg (Germany)

Status: Offline

Johnny presents his favourite movies at Glastonbury, June 22 (Videos added)

Unread postby shaman-art » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:48 pm

justintime wrote:One sentiment I don't read as often, if at all, today are the casual dismissals of concern for the man himself. The horrendous outlash toward Johnny of demand for punishment and consequences is tentacled, downright frenzied now, and at fever-pitch levels with no signs of abating. Some have suggested his decision to go in the direction he did was self-indulgent, especially toward his family. I hold on to the hope he gave his children some serious forewarning of what to expect, although I'm beginning to wonder if even Johnny himself had a realistic handle on what the fallout might truly entail (given the escalating TMG component).


I'm sure his family and all the other people around him know him well enough. They know he starts goofing around in situations he feels insecure, when he has to be himself and can not hide behind a character. Mostly he's funny but sometimes he goes overboard. It happened before and it will happen again. He's in this business long enough to know that every word he said would be picked up by the media. It's painful for us to watch the backlash. But maybe we're more affected than his people since we read all the madness out there instead of ignoring it. Maybe we take those things so serious because many of us are getting attacked as soon as we write a pro-Johnny comment somewhere. But that has nothing to do with Johnny. It's the overall lack of good manners and education on social media that makes a relaxed exchange of different opinions impossible. That's one reason I have limited my activities mostly to places like the Zone. A subject needs to be very important for me before I write something. Or it is something that makes me really angry.
Johnny doesn't say much about stuff that's not related to any of his projects. I guess Trump made him angry enough he felt the need too vent.....

Edit: Maybe he thinks after that mess with AH and the haters that called him a wife beater it can not get worse. So in this sense he's free!
And honestly: Getting hate from Trump fans and even his family members is like getting a medal of honor. With their comments they show so much of their rotten core I wonder if Johnny maybe provoked them on purpose.

User avatar
Theresa
JDZ Webmaster
Posts: 26133
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 1:21 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Status: Online

Johnny presents his favourite movies at Glastonbury, June 22 (Videos added)

Unread postby Theresa » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:51 pm

I'd like to ask everyone to please keep the subject about Johnny and his comment and please keep your personal political views to yourself and not post those here.

The Zone has long had an unwritten rule about not discussing--and especially not arguing--about religion or politics, and for good reason. We have a very diverse group of members who have very different views on both subjects. We don't want arguments here nor do we want to start getting wildly off-topic from the reason the Zone exists--to talk about Johnny.

Lately, Johnny has made it rather difficult to totally avoid political discussion...but let's please do our best to keep our personal political views out of the discussion.

Thank you.

User avatar
sparralet
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:37 am
Location: aboard Black Pearl

Status: Offline

Johnny presents his favourite movies at Glastonbury, June 22 (Videos added)

Unread postby sparralet » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:51 pm

Something positive again - when Johnny joined Kris Kristofferson on stage in Glsatonbury, it was with a purpose - to make things go smoothly for Kris:


It appeared Kris Kristofferson was losing the Glastonbury audience who were starting to look around, even wander off. Fortunately, Johnny Depp was standing by. He quickly mounted the stage and was able to regain audience’s attention and focus with some exceptional guitar work. Kris Kristofferson was cheered up quickly and exchanged many appreciative glances at Johnny Depp.

Last edited by Joni on Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Video removed/not available any longer

User avatar
RumLover
Posts: 1308
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:02 am
Location: Sydney, AUS

Status: Offline

Johnny presents his favourite movies at Glastonbury, June 22 (Videos added)

Unread postby RumLover » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:01 pm

I think that Johnny was not planning to mention Trump at Glastonbury. He was interacting with the crowd when someone shouted Trump and he improvised a joke. It was probably a joke that has been told before in acting circles in recent times. If I am correct, then no-one could have been prepared for the reaction.

User avatar
nebraska
Posts: 27054
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: near Omaha

Status: Offline

Johnny presents his favourite movies at Glastonbury, June 22 (Videos added)

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:14 pm

One thing we need to remember is that Johnny Depp is very human. He has a big heart and he does many wonderful generous things. He also makes mistakes and sometimes he does foolish things. Having flaws of his own allows him to inhabit some of the characters he creates in his work. A perfect man would never be able to understand a Rochester or a Gilbert . So as controversy swirls around him, as it has the last couple of years, he is adding layers to his humanity. He is no doubt banking experience that will produce brilliance in coming films. He would be so boring if he were perfect. :loveshower:

User avatar
brunasouzota
Posts: 761
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:06 pm

Status: Offline

Johnny presents his favourite movies at Glastonbury, June 22 (Videos added)

Unread postby brunasouzota » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:17 pm

RumLover wrote:I think that Johnny was not planning to mention Trump at Glastonbury. He was interacting with the crowd when someone shouted Trump and he improvised a joke. It was probably a joke that has been told before in acting circles in recent times. If I am correct, then no-one could have been prepared for the reaction.


:agreesign:
:heart4: Johnny is my life forever. :kiss: :hug2: :twohearts:

User avatar
fireflydances
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 3059
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: under a pile of books
Contact:

Status: Offline

Johnny presents his favourite movies at Glastonbury, June 22 (Videos added)

Unread postby fireflydances » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:25 pm

No access to follow this thread all day. Cudos to Shaman Art and her several well written pieces, couldn't of said it better.

Johnny is always gonna be Johnny, and no one will ever convince him to be different. And us? I think of that old song,

He's a rebel and he'll never ever be any good
He's a rebel 'cause he never ever does what he should
But just because he doesn't do what everybody else does
That's no reason why I can't give him all my love


Ecetera...

Basically, with a guy like Johnny, you got to go with the flow. Sometimes he'll have to deal with the ramifications of some choice he made. Sometimes we will not want to read anything online about him for a prolonged period of time. But most of all, it will probably work better for all concerned if we accept him as he is. Enjoy the rebel.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies


Return to “News & Views”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: silvalois and 3 guests