Johnny presents his favourite movies at Glastonbury, June 22 (Videos added)

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
Sweeney Todd

Johnny presents his favourite movies at Glastonbury, June 22 (Videos added)

Unread postby Sweeney Todd » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:32 am

12 June, 2017 | By Andreas Wiseman

Johnny Depp to present his favourite movies at Glastonbury

EXCLUSIVE: Depp to be first guest of honour at Julien Temple’s Cineramageddon event next week.

Johnny Depp will be the inaugural guest of honour at Glastonbury’s new film event Cineramageddon next week.

Depp will introduce three of his favourite movies (two of which he also starred in) at the music festival: Withnail & I, Dead Man and The Libertine.

Five day film event Cineramageddon is the brainchild of director Julien Temple and is designed by artist Joe Rush. It is presented by film producer Stephen Malit, with technical supervision by Michael Denner.

Movies will be projected onto the biggest cinema screen in the UK with the nocturnal audience seated in seventy mutated vintage British and American cars, repurposed funfair rides and a Lear jet.

Depp’s selected movies will screen consecutively on Thursday 22 June with the actor introducing them in conversation with Temple.

“No film has ever made me laugh more”

The Pirates of The Caribbean star said of his selection:

”The Libertine is one of those films that got lost in the shuffle. It’s a film that a lot of people on which worked very hard, and one that I am very proud of.

“The second Earl of Rochester, John Wilmot, is a man that everyone deserves to know more about. He wasn’t just some drunken jester. He was a sublime wit in the court of King Charles II and an individual of great literary importance.”

”Dead Man is Jim Jarmuch’s epic visual poem. It’s unlike anything else. A film which means many different things to many different people. It was an honor to be part of something so unique and profound”.

“Lastly, no film has ever made me laugh more, or filled me with so much joy… and dread, than Withnail & I! For me, this is perfect cinema. As perfect as Chinatown, as The Godfather, as Time of the Gypsies. Genius.”

See complete article here:
:sweeneydepp: Never forget. Never forgive. :sweeneydepp:

brunasouzota

Re: Johnny presents his favourite movies at Glastonbury, June 22 (Videos added)

Unread postby brunasouzota » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:02 am

:loveshower: I love these movies. :lovehearts: Thanks for the news. :lilyrose:
:heart4: Johnny is my life forever. :kiss: :hug2: :twohearts:

moviemom

Unread postby moviemom » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:24 am

The Libertine :libertine: and Dead Man are two films that most people haven't seen and should. Glad these are favorites of his as they are of mine, though admittedly, I haven't seen Withnail and I. I'll fix that this week!
:zoner: Such cool news, too.
The year's no doubt, have changed me, sir. -- Sweeney Todd
My flickr page

Lbock

Unread postby Lbock » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:47 am

moviemom wrote:The Libertine :libertine: and Dead Man are two films that most people haven't seen and should. Glad these are favorites of his as they are of mine, though admittedly, I haven't seen Withnail and I. I'll fix that this week!

I actually just saw The Libertine a few weeks ago. Hard to watch but an amazing performance. Laughed and cried

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:23 am

Lbock wrote:
moviemom wrote:The Libertine :libertine: and Dead Man are two films that most people haven't seen and should. Glad these are favorites of his as they are of mine, though admittedly, I haven't seen Withnail and I. I'll fix that this week!

I actually just saw The Libertine a few weeks ago. Hard to watch but an amazing performance. Laughed and cried

Oh, am so pleased he picked The Libertine! I love the film so much and I think it's Johnny's best performance ever. It still rankles with me that he wasn't Oscar nominated for it. :libertine: I also love Dead Man too, the opening scene is sublime, Johnny is so funny in it without having to say a word. I wish I could go to the film event!
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

justintime

Unread postby justintime » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:12 am

Jackslady wrote: Oh, am so pleased he picked The Libertine! I love the film so much and I think it's Johnny's best performance ever. It still rankles with me that he wasn't Oscar nominated for it. I also love Dead Man too, the opening scene is sublime, Johnny is so funny in it without having to say a word. I wish I could go to the film event!

I am in sync with everything you've said, Jackslady, especially re: the Oscar omission - his performance was impeccable! I have never bought and read as many books related to a Johnny film character as I did on Rochester. So very, very glad Johnny chose to include The Libertine!
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

Vanillababe

Unread postby Vanillababe » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:29 pm

I have to agree with Johnny on this. Libertine is my favorite performance from him. He was simply outstanding and deserved the Oscar. I wish he would do something like that again. Timing means everything unfortunately. :myheart:

sleepy
JDZ Founder

Unread postby sleepy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:38 pm

When I met with Johnny and Christi, one of the things I brought to be signed was a Japanese coffee table book on The Libertine. They really liked the fact that several of the photos was when his disease was real bad. He said US publications only printed the attractive photos! You could tell he was really proud of the film.
Funny ol' world, innit?

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:00 pm

sleepy wrote:When I met with Johnny and Christi, one of the things I brought to be signed was a Japanese coffee table book on The Libertine. They really liked the fact that several of the photos was when his disease was real bad. He said US publications only printed the attractive photos! You could tell he was really proud of the film.

That's interesting, Sleepy, thanks for sharing that. I love knowing that a film that so many of us really appreciated and got into is one of his personal favourites. I really think he took his acting to a whole other level with it, it's quite astonishing the range he has.
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

sleepy
JDZ Founder

Unread postby sleepy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:15 pm

This is the one he talked about how , I think it was Weinstein, was not really wanting to release it,or was being slow, he said because of his relationship with Disney, and their interest, that Weinstein made the decision to release. It sounded like if he didn't, Disney might have stepped up. I hate that so few people have seen a film he cared so much for.
Funny ol' world, innit?

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:05 am

So do I. The scene where he is addressing parliament and can only use one eye is an acting masterclass.

Lbock

Unread postby Lbock » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:50 am

I've seen articles suggesting Johnny might stay the whole five days, possibly to "jam" with some bands.

Does anyone know if he is still scheduled to be in Tokyo for the POTC5 premier?

redrascal1

Unread postby redrascal1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:26 pm

Vanillababe wrote:I have to agree with Johnny on this. Libertine is my favorite performance from him. He was simply outstanding and deserved the Oscar. I wish he would do something like that again. Timing means everything unfortunately. :myheart:

He was incredible in it, and yes, he deserved an Oscar. I also love him in Public Enemies; loved that too.

Sweeney Todd

Unread postby Sweeney Todd » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:07 pm

Johnny Depp plans on joining campers at his first Glastonbury

By Ashleigh Rainbird

00:19, 17 JUN 2017

Johnny Depp is doing his first Glastonbury festival properly – he’s planning to stay in a tent.

Filmmaker Julien Temple, who’s been Johnny’s pal since the 1980s, says the Pirates of the Caribbean star is “in for a penny, in for a pound” at the annual Somerset mudbath .

It will be the 54-year-old actor’s first visit to Glasto, where he will launch the new Cineramageddon four-day film festival installation which Julien is curating.

“He’s never been to Glastonbury, so that was our big selling point, that it involved seeing the festival,” Julien tells 3am.

Asked if Johnny will be erecting his own tent and staying in it for the duration of the five days, Julien confirms: “Yes, he is. I’m not disclosing the location. But he’s in for a penny in for a pound. He maybe won’t be there on the last day, but he’s into checking out the whole thing. He’ll be in his element.”

Johnny will introduce his locally shot film, The Libertine, on Thursday night before settling in to watch himself in the movie in a VIP limo at the drive-in style cinema, where 2,000 festival goers will sit in classic cars mutated by sculptor Joe Rush.

“Johnny’s our inaugural guest of honour so he’s introducing the whole thing,” Julien explains.

“We’re trying to have a rock’n’roll vibe and he is perfect for that. We couldn’t have asked for anyone better.”

The filmmaker adds that an army of pirate lookalikes will be spread around the site to help Johnny go incognito. “We’re going to have a load of decoys going around,” he says.

Amid rumours Hollywood Vampires guitarist Depp could pop up on stage, Julien adds: “I don’t know if he’ll be performing, but he has some friends in bands that are.”

Johnny played slide guitar on the Oasis album Be Here Now, and pal Noel Gallagher is heading down to Worthy Farm to introduce a screening of his film, Supersonic. His estranged brother Liam is performing on the Saturday afternoon.

And Johnny’s idol Keith Richards could be attending too, as one of a few surprise guests to pop up at Cineramageddon, where a screening of Julien’s documentary about the Rolling Stone takes place on Sunday. “You never know...” hints Julien.

Glastonbury owner Michael Eavis has said the film festival – where movies will be projected from the nose cone of a Hawker Siddeley jet fighter – will be the “biggest thing of the year”.

:sweeneydepp: Never forget. Never forgive. :sweeneydepp:

justintime

Unread postby justintime » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:03 am

I must be missing something here - sounds like a security nightmare. . .
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

Return to “News & Views”