POTC5 Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers)

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:19 am

I'm sorry you're not able to go to the cinema to see it, In-too-Depp. I would imagine the DVD will be out for Christmas? (This year seems to be flying by to me!!). Myself I really liked the film, but have only seen it once so far. Hoping to back on Monday and will try to take on board a few more details.

It had been a long time since I'd watched the previous four in their entirety. When I did so last week, I was struck by how my reactions have changed over the years. I never really warmed to DMC at the time, but now I really love it and can see so much in it that I missed back then. The scenes between Johnny and Keira are so seductive and I definitely feel Jack's character is explored within that film. I hated the bit where he rows away from the Pearl kracken situation as I felt it made Jack appear cowardly, but now I can see how that situation shows Jack wrestling with his conscience and it's very effective. By comparison I don't feel the new film goes into anywhere like that depth of emotion, for me it is more on a par with CotBP. Like others have mentioned, I did want Jack to take control and be his old self by the end! Having said that, it does have some very funny scenes indeed, showcasing Johnny's brilliant comic timing and the ending is pretty perfect for Captain Jack!

It's difficult for me to be objective because I love Jack so much and find him endlessly fascinating, I will always want him to be the centre of attention - whilst recognising that that has never been the intention of the filmmakers. They are in the strange position of wanting/needing to sideline their most integral character -I don't believe a Pirates' film without Captain Jack would work at all. However I know they are trying to make films with a very broad appeal and it's their call, obviously. I actually love On Stranger Tides because Jack is placed more centrally, I love his interaction with Angelica and overall the film relies less on CGI, yet I know it's the least popular film so I'm definitely out of kilter with popular opinion :lol: .
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

Pearlsgirl

Unread postby Pearlsgirl » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:29 pm

Once again to the theater...can't resist. I think I discovered the "Young Teague" they mention in the credits. In the scene when young Jack Sparrow is standing on the rear deck and the crew presents him with their tribute, there is a pirate standing in back of him - with a feathered hat and red coat, and closely resembles what I imagine a young Teague would look like. A father standing in back of his son, in other words. I can't find a still of that scene, but it makes sense to me - hat and red coat. Try to spot him next time you see the movie. It's difficult - to take your eyes off young Jack!
Gather yourself by the sea, I will love you there. Assemble yourself with wild things, songs of the sparrow and seafoam. Let mad beauty collect in your eyes - for I long for a man with nests of wild things in his hair. A man who will Kiss the Flame.

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:34 pm

There's a new fancier theater here now, only drawback being it's way on the other side of town, as opposed to the old one that was right up the road. I'll probably be seeing the movie on Monday. Funny, Flagstaff finally gets a 3D version of a POTC movie, but tomorrow's the last day for it. D'oh! Oh well, hopefully it's as engaging in regular old 2D...
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"I've got a lot of Barbies in storage..."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:09 am

I haven't seen the film yet but have been reading eveything here and was a little puzzled as in Dead Mans Chest Tia Dalma says she gave Jack the compass. So I looked it up and seems there are several articles out there on the continuity errors in the franchise especially when it comes to the Compass
https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/26/1569 ... pass-logic
Thats just one. The other is why has Will got Barnacles. Think that is also mentioned in the above article. That curse was broken at the end of DMC also as was the fact that Davy Jones is dead. Also if the curse binding Will to the Flying Dutchman is broken how is he not dead, after all that was why he took over the role as Captain he was already dying.

Pearlsgirl

Unread postby Pearlsgirl » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:37 am

Hi Gilbert's Girl. As far as the compass, maybe I'm reading more into it (no pun intended) than written in any of the POTC movie scripts, but I've always viewed the compass as having a life of its own. It has a back story too, and who knows how old it is, where it has been, what sailing vessels and captains it has helped reach their goals. For Jack, he may have received it as a tribute (as seen in DMTNT), and then it went astray, it was stolen (as it often has been) or just purposely wandered off as I believe it can do. Jack saw it in Tia Dalma's hut, wanted it back and bartered it from her. Even in DMTNT it magically gets from the barkeep to the sea witch. In the story I write, it's millennia old, and yearns to be in the hands of a captain who will use it wisely. It's a magical object, to be sure, and its destiny is written in the stars (portrayed on the inside of the lapis lazuli cover.) That's my take on it anyway.

Will's curse is ages old as well (a famous sea legend), and made dreadful and corrupted by Davy Jones' cruelty. As of the end of AWE, it seems Will would always be the captain, until someone stabs his heart and takes over as commander of the Flying Dutchman. Will has been under the sea, serving as captain for many years, and thus the barnacles. But apparently the trident, having the power of the sea, was capable of breaking all manner of sea curses - including the curse of the Flying Dutchman. Will has returned to alive status (but we don't know the whole story there). He can now live on land, but there must to be more to it, as evidence by the clip after the credits. Davy Jones' curse is still at work - but why we don't know - the teaser for Pirates 6.

A great story - the stuff of legends and myths of the sea!
Gather yourself by the sea, I will love you there. Assemble yourself with wild things, songs of the sparrow and seafoam. Let mad beauty collect in your eyes - for I long for a man with nests of wild things in his hair. A man who will Kiss the Flame.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:53 pm

But at the end of AWE Will breaks the curse the other crew all lose their barnacles etc

Pearlsgirl

Unread postby Pearlsgirl » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:53 pm

The curse on Will still remained, which is why he had to go back to the Flying Dutchman at the end of AWE. The old crew was released from Davy Jones' curse, but Bill "Bootstrap" elected to stay and serve on the Dutchman with his son.

Barnacles grow on things (ships, wood, and live being such as whales) that are submerged under water for long periods of time. Will is doomed to serve as captain of the Dutchman, and lives most of his life under the sea - and so the barnacles attach to him. I don't know about his present crew at the beginning of DMTNT. They sensed young Henry's presence and were not pleased. The Dutchman is a dangerous place for those who are alive. The ship's purpose is to ferry the dead.

Makes sense to me...with a little imagination thrown in for good measure!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:01 pm

Pearlsgirl wrote:The curse on Will still remained, which is why he had to go back to the Flying Dutchman at the end of AWE. The old crew was released from Davy Jones' curse, but Bill "Bootstrap" elected to stay and serve on the Dutchman with his son.

Barnacles grow on things (ships, wood, and live being such as whales) that are submerged under water for long periods of time. Will is doomed to serve as captain of the Dutchman, and lives most of his life under the sea - and so the barnacles attach to him. I don't know about his present crew at the beginning of DMTNT. They sensed young Henry's presence and were not pleased. The Dutchman is a dangerous place for those who are alive. The ship's purpose is to ferry the dead.

Makes sense to me...with a little imagination thrown in for good measure!

Well I guess thats true they do grow on things under the waterline, good point

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:11 pm

There are many inconsistencies between the stories, but that doesn't bother me overall.
Yes, the compass was bartered from Tai Dalma when Jack was searching for the Pearl.
And, yes, the compass was also given to him after defeating Salazar.
I like your thinking Pearl's Girl...who knows what lives all of Jack's trinkets have lived. :lol:

And as long as we are discussing theories, one of mine is why Jack's luck turned bad.
At the end of AWE, the voodoo doll washed ashore and Penelope Cruz had it. She could have put a curse on him, thus the run of bad luck and loss of fortune. When the trident was destroyed, his curse was also lifted and his destiny (and the Pearl) is back in his control...for better or worse. :bigwink:

Oh, and one more thing, this conveniently answers how he got to be called "Sparrow" when his father was "Teague." I've always wondered about that.

ForeverYoung

Unread postby ForeverYoung » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:23 am

I thought Jack the monkey was trapped in the bottle with the Black Pearl and what happened to the fleet of ships Mr. Gibbs had at the end of POTC4?
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:43 am

ForeverYoung wrote:I thought Jack the monkey was trapped in the bottle with the Black Pearl and what happened to the fleet of ships Mr. Gibbs had at the end of POTC4?

Barbossa had a fleet of ships under his command, that's how he got so rich. I assumed he released the other ships for his fleet. But not sure why he wouldn't have released the Pearl at the same time, unless he wanted to keep Jack out of business.

And the monkey appeared after he released the Pearl.

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:08 pm

I saw it for the second time today and definitely picked up on what some of you have been saying - that Jack doesn't really "take charge" of any situations within the movie. The scene where he trades the compass makes me sad, and it seems to me we really only see the Jack of old once he regains the Pearl in the final scenes. I found myself wishing he had contributed more during the anchor sequence and so on. That being said, I still enjoyed it, the "horologist" scene and the wedding scene are especially funny and really showcase the brilliant comic timing of Johnny and all the actors involved. Plus Jack still shows a lot of courage during his "execution", and he is classic Jack in the scene where he and the crew tease Carina into thinking they are keel hauling Henry.I think I will enjoy future viewings by focusing on these scenes as little individual vignettes, rather than thinking too much about the actual story. Just returning to the wedding sequence, I do wonder if this was part of a larger plot that was edited out, since it does feel sort of random within the general framework and irrelevant to the furthering of the story.

I saw it on a smaller screen today, but it was still very impressive visually - I love the scenes with the panning/aerial shots of the ships, as you feel you are actually on board them and part of the action. It makes me feel a part of Jack's world for a while! I loved seeing the Black Pearl, I was looking at models of the Black Pearl online the other day, if they weren't so expensive I would buy one!

In all, I think it's a fun film, but on calmer reflection today it's perhaps not on a par story wise with the previous ones. Jack is far too interesting and intriguing a person to be sidelined as a cartoon character - not that I think they've gone that far but they are edging towards it a little bit too much for me. If they do a sixth film, I really hope we will see Jack returned to his former glories - yes he's always appeared silly, but we know he is actually far from that and was often able to save the day at the last minute! This aspect rounded out his character and gave him more power.

I absolutely love the young Jack Sparrow sequence, I'd like a whole movie now of young Jack :loveshower: .

I might go again as despite these criticisms it's fun to watch and good to have Jack and the gang back for another adventure. :toastingpirates:
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:50 am

Just got back from seeing it today, Freakin' Awesome! Loved all the humor, the "witch and the pirate", Paul, etc., etc. I loved the atmosphere, the sort of dreamlike randomness of Jack's crew (a few familiar faces among unrecognized ones). The movie itself kind of felt like if you had a random dream of a POTC movie, given what your subconcious already knows from the first 4. I loved Jack's scenes all the way through. I did notice a few moments, like others mentioned, where he sounded a bit like TTLG Hatter, but it didn't bother me. I actually felt it was almost appropriate, because in those moments he's as lost, discombobulated, frightened. I'm very impressed, between the script, the film making, and the acting, I think they breathed new wind into this world. Of course it wouldn't exist without what came before, but I think this is my favorite of the 5... :captainjack:
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"I've got a lot of Barbies in storage..."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

gipsyblues

Unread postby gipsyblues » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:26 am

:hello2: I was with my daughter in the cinema and we both love the fifth part. It was wonderful to see Jack in the movie again. :toastingpirates:

AnaMaria

Unread postby AnaMaria » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:32 am

Vanillababe wrote:(..) Johnny said he saw this Pirates and we know he hates watching himself. Maybe he needs to watch the 1st one and see why we all fell in love with this character in the first place (..)

That's what I have been thinking ever since Pirates 2-3 etc. The original character wasn't always the drunken pirate with a slurry speech - he was clever, witty and inventive (just reminding the 'take what you can, give nothing back'-scene, the way he reveals his plan to get the Pearl back to Mr. Gibbs. Jack was in charge, he made things happen. Now Jack is still a very funny character to watch but he doesn't 'do' much, he just lets it all happen.
Nevertheless I enjoyed the movie very much, especially the first part (too much CGI in the last part, tmo). And I absolutely loved the hint to Donnie Brasco and to Johnny's mayonaise-concoction from the COTBP blooperreel :-D (oh and hilarious that Jack has a Rolling Stone-father and a Beatles-uncle :lol: :biggrin: )
And let's face it: of course we all compare all sequels to the first one, but if there had never been a COTBP-movie, I think everybody still would have enjoyed all Pirates movies and Jack's character, even the way it is now. Johnny created something unique that's known and copied all over the world. Hats off to him for that.

Edit: P.S. : Joni, thanks for the article which explains young Jack's appearance ! It was a magical scene in the movie.

Return to “News & Views”