POTC5 Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers)

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
Peachy

Unread postby Peachy » Wed May 31, 2017 2:26 pm

reindeermoon wrote:For me poor Jack was at the beginning of the movie nearly at his end, unlucky, no ship, even his men left him. The worst moment for me was in that pub, where he swept his compass for a bottle of rhum. Covered in mud from the pigsty. Here he was no more the captain Jack Sparrow. He had no real destination without the sea, he could not see the horizon anymore.
:tear:

Yes :agreesign: although it did work as a plot-line but I don't think they made enough of Jack getting back the Pearl, the compass, the horizon...just my :twocents: I thought it was a bit underplayed but maybe I am biased and my feelings are swayed by my :flashingheart: for :captainjack: ...I just want the best for him
"If I'm going do to this for a living I want to at least provoke a thought or make someone look at something, however subtle, from another perspective." (JD on acting).

Vanillababe

Unread postby Vanillababe » Wed May 31, 2017 2:55 pm

Hey all! I saw Pirates with my boys and husband and they loved it! I thought it was ok. :lol: Seriously though, I did not recognize Jack at all. It seemed more like how the Mad Hatter would act if he was Jack. Johnny said he saw this Pirates and we know he hates watching himself. Maybe he needs to watch the 1st one and see why we all fell in love with this character in the first place. I just think the script was really not that great. Not the actors' fault but if this franchise is going to go on, they really need to bring back Pirates One Jack, who is daring, swash buckling, clever, and mighty. There were several laugh-out-loud moments and great special effects. I give it an overall good rating but MAN it could have been great! :yes3:

Pearlsgirl

Unread postby Pearlsgirl » Wed May 31, 2017 3:43 pm

Just came back from my fourth viewing - this movie is like a fine wine, better with age. You can really see stages Jack goes through - I just wish they had stressed the good turns a little more. You miss them if you're not really alert. Dearest Jack is truly at the bottom of the barrel, lower than low, when he gives up his compass. I just want to hold him in my arms at that point and comfort him - mud and all.

The more you see it, the more you get out of it! Now I'm addicted. Came home and immediately put on the soundtrack. Jack's done it again for me...hooked! But then again, I've always been...
Gather yourself by the sea, I will love you there. Assemble yourself with wild things, songs of the sparrow and seafoam. Let mad beauty collect in your eyes - for I long for a man with nests of wild things in his hair. A man who will Kiss the Flame.

Bermuda

Unread postby Bermuda » Wed May 31, 2017 10:08 pm

I saw the new Pirates movie and I absolutely :love: :love: :love: it! I didn't read anything about the movie beforehand because I wanted to see it without any idea about the storyline. I watched it as a regular movie instead of IMAX or 3D and it is good. IMHO, I don't think the fancy movie screens are really needed to still thoroughly enjoy this movie. Lots of :harhar: :capnjack: moments which were great. The movie is a good way to get away from all of the negative stuff going on in the world these days. Lots of special effects. Lots of :pirategunshot: :duel: . Lots of surprises. Good storyline. I give it a :cool: :cool: . I can't wait to go back and see it again very soon and I can't wait for it to come out in Blue-Ray or DVD so I can watch it over and over again! Yes, I have obsessive-compulsive :capnjack: disorder! :giddy: :lol: P.S. Stayed till the end of the credits and, as usual, there's a little tidbit there.
Great Job Johnny! :applause2: :applause2: :thankyou: for doing :capnjack: again! Made me :smiliewithhearts: today! :kiss: :hug3:
"Shared laughter is love made audible."
~ Izzy Gesell ~

In-too-Depp

Unread postby In-too-Depp » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:37 am

Thank you so much for all your reviews, although I haven't seen the film I've enjoyed reading all of them. Unfortunately I've come to the decision of not seeing it at the cinema due to health reasons so will have to impatiently wait for the DVD. For those that have mentioned about Johnny's portrayal it seems the directors wanted to focus on Johnny's character and maybe that's why he's firstly down on his luck and needing to go on a journey to find himself again.

Joachim Rønning: The origin story in the movie came from us actually. That was something we wanted to explore. That was something that when we were going the rounds and trying to get the gig, that as fans of the franchise ourselves we were curious about Jack Sparrow. We were thinking well, that could be cool and they got that. Disney liked it. Johnny liked it too. He was a little bit more reserved because he’s very protective of this character of course. And the character, he’s a tricky movie character, Jack Sparrow because he doesn’t really have you know what they call the character arc. He learns nothing during his journey. He’s not richer for the experience.

He was very curious to where we would go with it. We just created the fifth installment, creating how he got his name and all of that. It’s a little bit risky, a little bit, but then when we presented it and then we started shooting he really embraced it and that was cool. So that was a big part of what we brought to get the job in the first place.
And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

Vanillababe

Unread postby Vanillababe » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:49 am

Thank you! That explains a lot. I think I will have to see it again. :loveshower:

I did think the scene was very sad when he gave up his compass for some rum. That did touch me. Plus knowing what was going on behind the scenes with his real life really hit home. :sad:

Peachy

Unread postby Peachy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:50 am

In-too-Depp wrote:
Joachim Rønning: And the character, he’s a tricky movie character, Jack Sparrow because he doesn’t really have you know what they call the character arc. He learns nothing during his journey. He’s not richer for the experience..

This is really interesting. Thanks In-tooDepp ( and by the way sorry to hear that you are unable to see the film in the theatre, do take care :rosegirl: ).
DMTNT Is definitely different from the first three (I'll leave OST out of the comparison) in that there was a definite character arc both within COTBP which followed through to AWE (with ups and downs). Yes, Jack is always going to go off and do his own thing but I feel he learnt a lot from the events and from the relationships with Will and Elizabeth - culminating in him ensuring that it was Will's hand that stabbed the heart. Whether this approach was Gore's decision, the writers', Johnny's or a combination of all of them I wouldn't like to say, although it was obvious after COTBP that, although originally POTC was supposed to be about Will and Elizabeth, Jack was the main reason for the success so it was a logical move.
But this has changed in DMTNT - I feel the intention is to pull the focus away from Jack - but it's a hard task: it's practically impossible to take your eyes off him and he is so synonymous with the franchise. It would be interesting to hear the opinion of those less familiar with the previous films... do they still see Jack as the focus or just a part of the ensemble?
"If I'm going do to this for a living I want to at least provoke a thought or make someone look at something, however subtle, from another perspective." (JD on acting).

flo116

Unread postby flo116 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:58 am

I just made my third trip to see this film and I enjoy it more each time. I so agree that one can't take your eyes of off Jack. I especially like the young Jack scenes, How did they do that
the eyes and the mouth have to be Johnny's. The scene where Jack is in jail and Henry comes to talk to him just like when Will came to talk to him in the COTBP is so funny
One of the reasons I buy the DVD is so I can fast forward to all the :captainjack: scenes.
"What interested me was that he has so many faces" "But each one is completely pure & innocent" Francois Marie Banier about Johnny

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:04 pm

I saw the film during opening weekend here in the US. As some have mentioned, while a glorious romp, I felt a little disappointed at the overall story line. Guess it was just that it felt like a bunch of open story lines were neatly wrapped up and it's all over for the franchise. I did notice that a number of posters mentioned that the young Jack was ALL Johnny. Actually they had a young actor with the first name of Anthony... who portrayed the young Jack and it seemed to me to have Johnny do a voice over so the voice would be consistent. If this has been noted in previous posts, then I apologize for the repetition. It was a good movie, was surprised at the Barbossa parts and I do agree that there were barnacles at the post credits scene. I will probably buy the DVD when it comes out.
"You never stop learning"

Ade

Unread postby Ade » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:21 pm

Just seen it for a second time and enjoyed it even more. The moments when Captain Jack is more together are the best - just the small gestures like passing the sword to Barbossa or the book to Henry. And then the end when he has the Pearl back was wonderful. I loved it and it feels so great that we are going from this straight into MOTOE trailer excitement.

Pearlsgirl

Unread postby Pearlsgirl » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:37 pm

Ariel made an observation that I too would love clarification on. There is a "Young Jack Sparrow" listed in the credits as Anthony De La Torre. There is also a "Young Teague" listed as Alexander Scheer. But I know in a Disney clip and documentary they said young Jack was Johnny with CG work to make him look younger. I'd love to know the whole story there. And does anyone remember a mention of a young Teague in the movie? Curious minds want to know. Salute!
Gather yourself by the sea, I will love you there. Assemble yourself with wild things, songs of the sparrow and seafoam. Let mad beauty collect in your eyes - for I long for a man with nests of wild things in his hair. A man who will Kiss the Flame.

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:56 pm

This will answer the questions about Young Jack Sparrow.
Very interesting!

'Pirates' blew Johnny Depp away by making him '21 Jump Street' young again
Bryan Alexander , USA TODAY Published 1:09 p.m. ET May 29, 2017 | Updated 12:26 a.m. ET May 30, 2017

LOS ANGELES — The fountain of youth at last! Even Johnny Depp was floored by scenes showing his famed Jack Sparrow character as a young man in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales.

Pirates directors Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg turned back time on Sparrow, who is depicted in flashbacks meeting a young Captain Salazar (Javier Bardem), the villain in the fifth installment of the Disney franchise.

Depp, 53, loved seeing the young Sparrow saunter onscreen.

"Johnny was super-happy with it," says Sandberg. "He said, 'This adds years to my career.' "

"Imagine seeing yourself walking and talking like when you are a teenager. It's trippy," says Rønning. "He almost couldn't believe it."

The filmmakers spent a year working on the prolonged sequence that involved an extensive "de-aging" process by the visual effects company Lola. The goal: To bring Depp back to his heartthrob heyday as Sparrow to explain the origins of the Pirates legend.

"The age we went for is the end of his teens. It was like 21 Jump Street Johnny Depp," says Rønning, referring to the star's breakout role in the 1980s TV series (when Depp was actually 24).

The Pirates scene features a sea battle between Salazar's and Sparrow's rival ships. Depp shot his role in full Sparrow attire with image tracking dots on his face. A 23-year-old lookalike, Anthony De La Torre, was brought aboard, also in full Sparrow attire. This was another shocker for Depp.

"When I first turned around, Johnny looked at me and literally said, 'Bloody hell,' " De La Torre laughs.

De La Torre had to walk precisely through the scene that Depp had just filmed. He did a lot of prep work to serve as the young stand-in for Depp.

"You have to watch all the Pirates movies non-stop, you have to drink some rum, get the sea legs a bit, and do some salsa to loosen the hips, and you're ready," says De La Torre. "Then I'd watch (Depp) and mimic him, we'd do a little back and forth."

The young actor was needed, literally, for his skin, to use on Depp's face through computer effects.

"This sounds gruesome, but we use elements of the young actor like skin and tones and put them them on top of Johnny," Rønning says.

The technology has vastly improved since Lola worked on landmark films such as 2008's The Curious Case of Benjamin Button with Brad Pitt, which means Depp's true performance is seen during the battle scene. But it was complex, painstaking work for a team of 12.

“We are trying for that indescribable youthful quality people recognize," says Lola special effects supervisor Trent Claus. "The way (young skin) reflects light is different, the elasticity of the skin, the way it hangs on the bone structure is drastically different and a thousand other little things we keep track of.”

Claus says the challenge was greater because Depp is such a major superstar. But they got there.

"We are altering his appearance, but keeping his performance. He has a very definitive look, everyone knows what Johnny looks like," says Claus. "We're really happy how it turned out."

Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
~Euripides

Pearlsgirl

Unread postby Pearlsgirl » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:07 pm

Thanks, Joni! That really made it all clear. They used Anthony's skin for the CG work. He mimicked what Johnny was doing, to get the skin movement and such. Incredible what they can do these days!

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:11 pm

Pearlsgirl wrote:Thanks, Joni! That really made it all clear. They used Anthony's skin for the CG work. He mimicked what Johnny was doing, to get the skin movement and such. Incredible what they can do these days!

It certainly is incredible! And they did an awesome job!
Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
~Euripides

Bermuda

Unread postby Bermuda » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:02 pm

:thankyou: to everyone who has posted here about some of the things they personally noticed during the movie and other people might not have picked up on. I am definitely going back for a second viewing now, so I can see some of the interesting things I missed while I was :drool: and :-O at :capnjack: .
:grouphug: :thanks!:
"Shared laughter is love made audible."

~ Izzy Gesell ~

Return to “News & Views”