POTC5 Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers)

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
Peachy

Unread postby Peachy » Tue May 30, 2017 1:01 am

fireflydances wrote:I have to say however, that the old Jack was there increasingly as the climax built. Glimmers in his face, a sense of resolve returning -- very subtle changes, and very typical of Johnny's method of acting, so that by the end of the film it was clearly Captain Jack again.

I do think it is altogether unfortunate that anyone would think that the early on "drunken" Jack represents Johnny' in Austraila. That is absolutely nonsence. I really like what these directors have done -- they have created a more comprehensive look into the story and they've also built anticipation about the future. And to consider, for the flash of a second, that these talented directors couldn't get a decent Jack out of Johnny because he was drunk demonstrates a lack of understanding about how movies are filmed.

Well said firefly. It took me a second viewing to see some of those subtleties - and there are probably more that I missed, and I agree it was very definitely our Captain Jack Sparrow by the end. And yes, I too am dismayed by some "critics'" continual references to hypothetical circumstances which had nothing to do with the film. By all accounts from fellow actors over the years, Johnny on set is always described as a professional with utmost respect for cast and crew alike - and Javier's comments in a recent article back this up. To suggest otherwise and to somehow link this to Johnny's performance is, to put it mildly, disrespectful to all involved.
I will definitely be seeing the film again to savour more of the Captain Jack moments - it is a fun ride but multiple viewings do reveal that there is more to it than meets the eye at first.
"If I'm going do to this for a living I want to at least provoke a thought or make someone look at something, however subtle, from another perspective." (JD on acting).

e_phemera

Unread postby e_phemera » Tue May 30, 2017 3:24 am

Chiming in with a tiny tidbit to mull:
Upon learning Carina's mother's name was Margaret Smyth, I flashed back to Jack's arrival in COTBP, how he told the dock master that his name was "Smyth".

It doesn't strain credulity to imagine that Jack may also have been acquainted with Margaret Smyth, and given out her name the way that lovers do. As Elizabeth also did with Barbossa, taking Turner as her name.

I really loved how little details circled around to closure in this film. The satisfaction of open loops, closed.
"Between two worlds life hovers like a star, twixt night and morn, upon the horizon's verge."
~Lord Byron

reindeermoon

Unread postby reindeermoon » Tue May 30, 2017 4:20 am

I have watched it twice now and I think the movie is so brilliant you do not even need 3D. I love that shark scene and I jumped the second time as well. That wedding part is a bit out of the story, but my idea is that they are making fun of all the stories where the hero finds a secret island with a killer tribe who has to protect a treasure. In the end the hero will of course marry the beautiful princess.( And they both sail into the setting sun. ) :wave:
But I enjoyed the movie and I will go again and take all my friends with me.
:yahoo:

sparralet

Unread postby sparralet » Tue May 30, 2017 7:21 am

e_phemera wrote:I flashed back to Jack's arrival in COTBP, how he told the dock master that his name was "Smyth"

Jack didn't tell him his name was 'Smyth', he gave him 3 schillings to avoid revealing his name, then the dock master simply said to him: "Welcome to Port Royal, Mr. Smyth."
That's how it was, savvy :capnjack:

Pearlsgirl

Unread postby Pearlsgirl » Tue May 30, 2017 7:47 am

But Jack does name himself as "Smith" later on, talking to Murtogg and Mullroy...

Murtogg: Hey! You, get away from there!
Mullroy: You don't have permission to be aboard there, mate.
Jack Sparrow: I'm sorry. It's such a pretty boat... ship.
Mullroy: What's your name?
Jack Sparrow: Smith. Or Smithy if you'd like.
Mullroy: What's your purpose in Port Royal, Mr. Smith?
Murtogg: Yeah, and no lies!
Jack Sparrow: Well, then, I confess. It is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder, and otherwise pilfer my weaselly black guts out.
Murtogg: I said 'no lies'!
Mullroy: I think he's telling the truth...
Murtogg: If he was telling the truth, he wouldn't have told us.
Jack Sparrow: Unless of course, he knew you wouldn't believe the truth, even if he told it to you.

When I saw Dead Men Tell No Tales first time through, I wondered if they were going to reveal Carina as Jack's daughter. That would have made for an interesting twist, aye? But I'm glad it turned out as it was. Barbossa is a wonderful character, and remember, he's come back from the dead before. There could be a lot to play with in another movie...time will tell, as it always does.
Gather yourself by the sea, I will love you there. Assemble yourself with wild things, songs of the sparrow and seafoam. Let mad beauty collect in your eyes - for I long for a man with nests of wild things in his hair. A man who will Kiss the Flame.

e_phemera

Unread postby e_phemera » Tue May 30, 2017 1:05 pm

sparralet wrote:
e_phemera wrote:I flashed back to Jack's arrival in COTBP, how he told the dock master that his name was "Smyth"

Jack didn't tell him his name was 'Smyth', he gave him 3 schillings to avoid revealing his name, then the dock master simply said to him: "Welcome to Port Royal, Mr. Smyth."
That's how it was, savvy :capnjack:

Thank you! I stand corrected! :hatsoff:
"Between two worlds life hovers like a star, twixt night and morn, upon the horizon's verge."
~Lord Byron

e_phemera

Unread postby e_phemera » Tue May 30, 2017 1:15 pm

Pearlsgirl wrote:...
When I saw Dead Men Tell No Tales first time through, I wondered if they were going to reveal Carina as Jack's daughter. That would have made for an interesting twist, aye? But I'm glad it turned out as it was. Barbossa is a wonderful character, and remember, he's come back from the dead before. There could be a lot to play with in another movie...time will tell, as it always does.

I was thinking the same, and looking for similarities to Jack in her demeanor. After the reveal, I realized the ruby on the book was a hint as it is red. :petunia:
~Lord Byron

sparralet

Unread postby sparralet » Tue May 30, 2017 4:16 pm

e_phemera wrote:Thank you! I stand corrected! :hatsoff:

You're welcome, e_phemera! :toastingpirates:

bringmethathorizon

Unread postby bringmethathorizon » Tue May 30, 2017 8:13 pm

Oh thank you Pearlsgirl, I was trying to see Gore and Rob Marshall in those heads!! Also, thanks for your reply, maybe us older Pirate/Johnny fans see things alittle different, :lol: ..
"This is the one I'll be remembered for"
Edward D. Wood, Jr.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue May 30, 2017 8:16 pm

I went to see POTC5 today and I will make some remarks before I read this thread. It may be because I have had an over-busy several days or because of tree pollen allergies, but I kept falling asleep. I can't believe that happened because a movie with Johnny should have me completely rapt and wide awake. :-/ I will go see it again when I am not so tired.

Something was "off" with Captain Jack for a good part of the movie. His eyes were too wide open or something, didn't look right. I am still thinking about everything. I am not sure if it was the way the part was written and directed or if it was his less central role in the story or if it was just me having a bad day. But something just felt wrong most of the time. Sometimes I would see flashes of the old Jack, but it wasn't consistent.

Too much action for me. The whole dragging a bank through the village with all the destruction and rushing about and all the fighting etc. There was a good story in the movie, but I would have liked to see more story and less CGI. The movie was made to suit audiences these days, not an older viewer like myself.

I loved the flashback to Jack's early life and I was really impressed with the return of Orlando at the end.

Now I will read what the rest of you have posted. Maybe I missed something myself.

Pearlsgirl

Unread postby Pearlsgirl » Tue May 30, 2017 8:30 pm

Nebraska, you're right, the consistency of our lovable Captain Jack was off kilter. I wasn't going to comment on this but now I will since we're talking inconsistency. I saw too much the "Mad Hatter" in several of the scenes. It distracted me and, and then, Jack would be back, and all was fine. Just a little too much "goofy" I guess. Much of it was when he was portraying the drunk, and to me he was slipping in and out between the Hatter and Jack. The Hatter's fine - in Alice, but not in Pirates.

Just an observation. Still love the movie - back for my fourth time tomorrow!
Gather yourself by the sea, I will love you there. Assemble yourself with wild things, songs of the sparrow and seafoam. Let mad beauty collect in your eyes - for I long for a man with nests of wild things in his hair. A man who will Kiss the Flame.

e_phemera

Unread postby e_phemera » Wed May 31, 2017 12:28 am

Only one viewing so far for me. (Yes, I will see it again!) And now I have a pet theory I need help to prove/disprove...

Did Jack's acumen return after The Pearl was revived?

I was disappointed by his drunken somnolence. But I believe, in films of this caliber, there is always a reason. Our job as audience is to seek the why. (Compared to "critics" these days, who re-direct the entire production to suit their whims.)

So, trying to understand sleepy/drunk Jack I considered how Jack has always described himself as this way. But I do prefer clever, witty, scheming, secretly big hearted Jack. Where is that Jack?

For Jack, the past 18(?) years have no doubt been very dull for him. (Probably) no Elizabeth. No Will. No arch enemies surfacing. And no Black Pearl. She's been dormant in his pocket all this time! And Jack has gone dormant too!

His restoration is not dramatic, as with King Theoden in 'Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers'. But I think it gives a plausible understanding of how truly lost Jack is without his Pearl. :sailboat:

(Loved the moment when Barbossa rushes up to the stalled revival of The Pearl to declare, "She needs water!", and tosses her in the sea!)
~Lord Byron

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Wed May 31, 2017 1:06 am

I believe you're on to something, e_phemera. Your take on it makes a whole lot of sense to me.

(I also loved that scene with the Pearl!)

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed May 31, 2017 10:31 am

e_phemera wrote:For Jack, the past 18(?) years have no doubt been very dull for him. (Probably) no Elizabeth. No Will. No arch enemies surfacing. And no Black Pearl. She's been dormant in his pocket all this time! And Jack has gone dormant too!

His restoration is not dramatic. But I think it gives a plausible understanding of how truly lost Jack is without his Pearl. :sailboat:

I like this interpretation, it helps a lot of things make sense and be easier to watch. I will keep it in mind when I attempt a second viewing.

reindeermoon

Unread postby reindeermoon » Wed May 31, 2017 11:49 am

For me poor Jack was at the beginning of the movie nearly at his end, unlucky, no ship, even his men left him. The worst moment for me was in that pub, where he swept his compass for a bottle of rhum. Covered in mud from the pigsty. Here he was no more the captain Jack Sparrow. He had no real destination without the sea, he could not see the horizon anymore.
:tear:

Return to “News & Views”