POTC5 Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers)

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sun May 28, 2017 11:41 am

Pearlsgirl wrote:Pretty sure those are barnacles on the floor.

:ok:

ForeverYoung

Unread postby ForeverYoung » Sun May 28, 2017 7:41 pm

Another tidbit. The scene where they are on the beach and Salazar cannot come on land is the last scene that was shot in Australia. I saw a behind the scenes video last night of Johnny saying goodbye to Havier at that location. He called him his brother, hugged him and said to give his love to "Penelope and the babies." If I can find the video again I will post it here.
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Sun May 28, 2017 8:00 pm

I saw that too, Theresa has already posted it in the Video forum. Good behind the scenes shots.
Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
~Euripides

ForeverYoung

Unread postby ForeverYoung » Sun May 28, 2017 10:19 pm

Doug Stanhope said in a podcast that in one of the scenes on the ship Johnny blurts out him and his girlfriend Bingo's name when they were there visiting him on set.

Messiah

Unread postby Messiah » Mon May 29, 2017 3:44 am

I went to see the movies with my 9 and 7 year old nieces who watched the first four movies over the holidays and were looking forward to the 5th movie. I was at Sunday 3:30pm showing and it was announced that it was sold out 30 mins before the movie began My nieces seemed to enjoy the movie and I was glad. Unfortunately I couldn't really say the same.

Aside from the commercials I really knew nothing about the film going into it. I had no clue about the story or that Orlando and Keira had returned to wrap up their story so that was a nice a surprise. I think my biggest issue with the film was the portrayal of Jack. I really thought that he would be having a redeeming arc where he would have this climatic moment where he would overcome the drunk has been pirate storyline they had given him throughout the film and become the real hero Jack Sparrow he'd always become by the end of the first four films. Instead I just feel like he was there throughout the whole ride without really having his moment. I understand he wasnt stumbling around at the end and that he once again was in command of the Pearl by the end but it didn't feel like he had earned it to me. I thought his shining moment was actually in the flashback where he became Captain Jack Sparrow and showed off his cleverness which I thought lacked in modern Jack.

Peachy

Unread postby Peachy » Mon May 29, 2017 8:50 am

I have been to see it twice. On some levels I really enjoyed it - the effects, the music, Javier's Salazar, the references to the previous films (although there were a few missed opportunities - when Jack harnesses the Shark I was expecting some reference to it being faster than sea turtles.... :lol: ).
And of course I enjoyed the opportunity of being in Captain Jack's company for the best part of two hours , however I do tend to agree with Messiah
Messiah wrote: I think my biggest issue with the film was the portrayal of Jack. I really thought that he would be having a redeeming arc where he would have this climatic moment where he would overcome the drunk has been pirate storyline they had given him throughout the film and become the real hero Jack Sparrow he'd always become by the end of the first four films. Instead I just feel like he was there throughout the whole ride without really having his moment. I understand he wasnt stumbling around at the end and that he once again was in command of the Pearl by the end but it didn't feel like he had earned it to me. I thought his shining moment was actually in the flashback where he became Captain Jack Sparrow and showed off his cleverness which I thought lacked in modern Jack.

I noticed this very much after he first viewing and came away feeling a little bit sad for Jack. As Messiah said, in the previous 4, Jack usually had his own agenda that he would try to achieve via various plots and schemes whereas here I felt that was lacking. I get it that he is lost at the beginning and giving up the compass is also a metaphor for his lack of direction, but I kept hoping, just like Messiah did, that he would have his big redeeming moment, but it never really played out - yes he got the Pearl, the compass and the Monkey but it was all a bit of an anticlimax. On the second viewing I was hoping to see something that I had perhaps missed the first time round, and although I didn't feel quite so sad, I still feel there was a little something missing. Having said that I did enjoy it, there were lots of laughs and great scenes, I will probably try to see it again on the big screen and will definitely buy the DVD.
"If I'm going do to this for a living I want to at least provoke a thought or make someone look at something, however subtle, from another perspective." (JD on acting).

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Mon May 29, 2017 9:21 am

Interesting point the two of you make. I see what you're saying.

I think, perhaps, Jack's "moment" might have been giving Barbosa the sword to kill Salazar thus saving his daughter, similar to the way he helped Will kill Davy Jones, saving his life for Elizabeth.

That was Barbossa's moment to redeem himself and save his "treasure." And Jack's moment for another selfless act of kindness.

To me, he came full circle at that moment and showed signs of returning to his former glory.

flo116

Unread postby flo116 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:06 am

I saw it for the 2nd time yesterday and stilled missed the part where Jack gave Barbossa the sword, must have been in the restroom. :perplexed: One really has to pay close attention to catch all the wonderful dialogue and with all else that is happening it is not easy. I will be seeing it again this week.
"What interested me was that he has so many faces" "But each one is completely pure & innocent" Francois Marie Banier about Johnny

Peachy

Unread postby Peachy » Mon May 29, 2017 2:44 pm

SnoopyDances wrote:Interesting point the two of you make. I see what you're saying.

I think, perhaps, Jack's "moment" might have been giving Barbosa the sword to kill Salazar thus saving his daughter, similar to the way he helped Will kill Davy Jones, saving his life for Elizabeth.

That was Barbossa's moment to redeem himself and save his "treasure." And Jack's moment for another selfless act of kindness.

To me, he came full circle at that moment and showed signs of returning to his former glory.

Yes I did notice that on the second viewing, SnoopyDances, and it did make me feel slightly better, as did Jack's selfless gesture of giving the map book to Henry rather than directly to Carina...so there were a couple of redeeming Jack moments...it was just the lack of Jack weaving the threads that I missed...but perhaps this was intentional....
"If I'm going do to this for a living I want to at least provoke a thought or make someone look at something, however subtle, from another perspective." (JD on acting).

RumLover

Unread postby RumLover » Mon May 29, 2017 7:17 pm

Agreeing with some comments above about Jack in POTC5.
I think it was a mistake for the POTC5 script to make Capt Jack Sparrow so down on his luck for most of the film. I like Jack to be more like he might really be the best pirate ever.
With hindsight, drunk and arrogant Jack Sparrow is a problem as it seems that many reviewers are equating the state of Jack Sparrow with the state of Johnny Depp's personal life. Jack is drunk and mumbling so that means Johnny must have been a mess too.
Personally, I like these movies to be fun and so DMC and COTBP are my favourites.

ForeverYoung

Unread postby ForeverYoung » Mon May 29, 2017 7:53 pm

I saw the trailer at the end three times now and always thought the object was the tip of the trident but today my son thinks it is a lobster claw of Davy Jones. Any opinions? :perplexed: :perplexed2:

Pearlsgirl

Unread postby Pearlsgirl » Mon May 29, 2017 8:42 pm

Three times for me as well, ForeverYoung. The shadows we see on the floor as the door creaks open are clearly tentacles and the octopus head of Davy Jones. The claw is his "hand" that snaps shut. At first it seems a dream Will has had, but the tangible proof of Davy Jones' presence is seen on the floor - water and barnacles. I'm thinking he was somehow not "of this world" when the curses of the sea were broken. Creepy stuff.
Gather yourself by the sea, I will love you there. Assemble yourself with wild things, songs of the sparrow and seafoam. Let mad beauty collect in your eyes - for I long for a man with nests of wild things in his hair. A man who will Kiss the Flame.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon May 29, 2017 8:53 pm

I saw it on Saturday night, and I, too, had that somewhat sad feeling regarding the diminished status of Jack. I think it was a deliberate choice to widen the focus to other characters, and I think that was extremely successful decision and it truly bonded me to the storyline in a way that I don't think I felt by Pirates 4.

I have to say however, that the old Jack was there increasingly as the climax built. Glimmers in his face, a sense of resolve returning -- very subtle changes, and very typical of Johnny's method of acting, so that by the end of the film it was clearly Captain Jack again.

I do think it is altogether unfortunate that anyone would think that the early on "drunken" Jack represents Johnny' in Austraila. That is absolutely nonsence. I really like what these directors have done -- they have created a more comprehensive look into the story and they've also built anticipation about the future. And to consider, for the flash of a second, that these talented directors couldn't get a decent Jack out of Johnny because he was drunk demonstrates a lack of understanding about how movies are filmed.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

bringmethathorizon

Unread postby bringmethathorizon » Mon May 29, 2017 9:38 pm

I have read all your reviews and comments, some I don't see at all and others are pretty close to my thinking, We all have our own thoughts and opinions and we have been waiting for this movie for a long time. I went to regular IMAX today, right up front and loved it!! I looked for everything that has been mentioned, especially Jack.

I don't like to analyze and pick apart my favorite movies of all time, and I'm in my 60's , ao there has been many, None of them compare to the Pirates franchise, loved them all P4 the least, no magic in that one. One main thing I've noticed in all 5, is that Captain Jack and Barbosa play it totally different in each movie, there are many layers to both of them, and they have come full circle now. Jack was never a hero and never going to be, he had his own agenda and did what needed to be done to get it. He did have some redeeming moments as mentioned in other posts.

We all know Johnny will not play the same character over and over. Johnny has changed Jack , and part of Jack is a drunk pirate, a running and hiding pirate, a funny and clever pirate, he is totally unreliable, you never know what he will do next and that to me is Johnny's brilliance with this character and franchise that will go on for generations and that makes me very happy.

I have my grandkiddies, teenagers coming to see it with me next weekend, and when my 3 year old granddaughter is a couple years older, we will watch them together on my DVD. Right now, she loves my Pirate room, especially my treasure chest with Davy Jones heart in it!! and my Pirate bank, she gets to take some treasure out of it sometimes.

I wont let the critics and absurd Rotten tomatoes ruin my love for this movie. Of course I am human and there were a few parts I wondered "what The heck", but they were funny and made me feel good!! I will enjoy this movie as long as it plays in the theater and I'm sure Disney will have another billion dollar booty. People just need to see it, once they get in to see it, the audience loves it... Everyone enjoy and I'm going to check in daily to find out tidbits that I missed. I don't get the 2 heads in the basket? Now, I have a rendezvou beyond my beloved horizon !!
"This is the one I'll be remembered for"
Edward D. Wood, Jr.

Pearlsgirl

Unread postby Pearlsgirl » Mon May 29, 2017 10:23 pm

I agree with all you said, Bringmethathorizon. I'll continue to savor every moment of Captain Jack on the big screen as long as I can - and then on DVD. I too have a Pirate Den, with trinkets all around that are Jack oriented. My son was the one who introduced me to the dear Captain, in Curse of the Black Pearl, and now his children, all my grandchildren, and so on, will enjoy the treasures and the amazing tale of Jack Sparrow for many many years. My novel will go on - with a story line that takes Jack around the world. He lives on in my heart and always will. For me, his story has a long long way to go.

By the way, the two heads in the basket are likenesses of the two new directors.
Gather yourself by the sea, I will love you there. Assemble yourself with wild things, songs of the sparrow and seafoam. Let mad beauty collect in your eyes - for I long for a man with nests of wild things in his hair. A man who will Kiss the Flame.

Return to “News & Views”