POTC5 Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers)

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Sun May 21, 2017 12:26 am

I'm opening this thread in anticipation of professional reviews which usually start rolling in before we, the public, get to see the movie.

There will be Spoilers here, so please avoid this topic if you don't want anything revealed before you see the movie.

This thread is not only for professional reviews, but our reviews and comments as well.

Hopefully we will have a lively discussion! :captainjack:

redrascal1

Unread postby redrascal1 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:09 am

Can I just say he looks fabulous in it?

Gitane

Unread postby Gitane » Sun May 21, 2017 11:29 am

Got tickets for a preview on Wednesday. I'm very excited. Have rejected to watch trailer, interviews and other stuff :snoopydances:
I'm impossible to forget, but I'm hard to remember :cheers:

Maritza1

Unread postby Maritza1 » Sun May 21, 2017 12:38 pm

:yahoo: I went to a screening the movie is fantastic! If you can watch it on IMAX the special effects are incredible ! CGI young Captain Jack Sparrow looks real :popcorn: . The story is very entertaining keeps you wondering what will happen next :spin: Johnny's performance is very funny :harhar: and he looks great. :captainjack:

Paul McCartney is on a very small scene and he sings (he is Captain Jack's uncle ;) ) Keith Richards is not in the movie. Orlando has 3 scenes and Keira Knightley 1.

Stay after the credits there's a scene without Johnny but they hint that there is going to be another Pirates of the Caribbean :yahoo:

I liked it so much I will buy the movie when it comes out :ok: This is one of my favorites POTC :applause2: :captainjack: :potclogo: :toastingpirates: :dancingpirate:

sparralet

Unread postby sparralet » Sun May 21, 2017 2:25 pm

Maritza1 wrote:Stay after the credits there's a scene without Johnny but they hint that there is going to be another Pirates of the Caribbean

Wow, sounds promissing - I hope you're right! :loveshower:
Thank you for the report, I can hardly wait to see it myself!!!

ForeverYoung

Unread postby ForeverYoung » Sun May 21, 2017 4:28 pm

The younger co-star (sorry I can't remember his name right now) said he is signed on for five more POTC's .
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon May 22, 2017 1:41 pm

Looks like the review embargo has been lifted so there are lots of reviews online now. I don't intend to post the extremely negative one...there's enough negativity in this world without flooding the Zone with it.

Here we go!

Scott Mendelson
Forbes
MAY 22, 2017 @ 09:00 AM

'Pirates Of The Caribbean 5' Review: A Fitting Finale To Johnny Depp's Defining Franchise

The Box Office:

Walt Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (or, as it's known in the United Kingdom, Salazar's Revenge) is an oddity. There was a time, not so long ago, when the Johnny Depp-as-Jack Sparrow adventures were among the absolute cream of the blockbuster crop. The second and fourth installments earned over $1 billion worldwide while the third merely had to settle for being the year's biggest global grosser at $963 million worldwide. Dead Man's Chest (2006) broke the Fri-Sun opening weekend record with $135m while 2007's At World's End scored what was, for nearly nine years, the biggest Fri-Sun debut ($114m) for a film that was part of a long holiday weekend.

And yeah, we all hated On Stranger Tides, and it cost an insane $410 million (the most expensive movie ever), but it still snagged a $90 million debut, a $240m domestic total and over $1 billion worldwide just as the 3D boom was turning the unthinkable into a plausible high-end box office goal. It has been six years since the last film, and in that time Walt Disney has gone from a studio that constantly tried to replicate the Pirates formula (John Carter, The Lone Ranger, Tron: Legacy, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Prince of Persia) to a studio that now barely has a need for it.

Disney is now awash in MCU and Star Wars success. Their Walt Disney Animation division is as strong as it's been since the Sleeping Beauty era and they've slowly turned the success of Alice in Wonderland into a regular stream of popular live-action fairy tale blockbusters. To the extent that Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl was a groundbreaking blockbuster (proving you could make an acclaimed and successful franchise out of essentially any sort of IP), Jack Sparrow may find himself like the classic western gunfighter who made the west civilized only to find himself unfit to live there.

This has been pitched as "the final adventure," and no one is expecting a redux of the prior sequels' blowout box office. As such, the only thing at stake is Johnny Depp's star power, the money that Disney spent on this picture ($230 million plus marketing) and the viability of the Mouse House's Memorial Day launches.

The Review:

No, the world didn't need a fifth Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Dead Men Tell No Tales doesn't quite measure up to the gloriously gonzo original trilogy. But it still makes its mark as a grounded adventure, or as grounded as a supernatural pirate movie can be. If this is the start of a new series, it is a step in the right direction. If it indeed acts as a series finale as promised, then the franchise can exit stage left with honor. Best of all, this fifth offering allows viewers to forget that On Stranger Tides ever happened.

To the extent we even needed a second film after the shockingly good Gore Verbinski original, I will defend Verbinski’s trilogy's kitchen sink excess until the end. The filmmaker's seemingly jovial pirate adventure gave way to a grim and piercing piece of post-9/11 criticism, with the seemingly good British army using the threat of piracy to abuse power to such an extent that they became villains who murdered whistleblower politicians and hanged children. It wasn’t quite the carefree escapism that audiences wanted but, like the (also underrated) Matrix sequels, I admired the ambition and the refusal to give in to optimistic fantasy.

The picture, handsomely directed by Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg, gets off to a strong start with a prologue which reveals that our new young male lead (Brenton Thwaites) is the son of Orlando Bloom’s Will Turner. I thought the At World’s End post-credit scene implied that Elizabeth Swann’s decade of fidelity meant that Will’s curse as the Captain of the Flying Dutchman was broken, but I digress. Nonetheless, the film quickly establishes that this picture will be a direct sequel to the original trilogy while immediately winning our interest in young Henry’s quest to save his dad using the McGuffin (Trident of Poseidon).

Yes, it does play a little like a “remakequel.” Certain structural beats and story turns will feel familiar to fans of Curse of the Black Pearl. It’s not quite a Force Awakens or The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey-level rehashing, but it’s there if you’re looking for it. The story takes place 20 years after the events of the previous trilogy, with Jack Sparrow still bumbling along and yet again inspiring vicious pirates who can and will slaughter any number of folks to exact their revenge upon him. This time around, the haunted rogue is Armando Salazar (Javier Bardem), a Spanish Navy captain who was sent to his death by a young Jack Sparrow and has sought vengeance ever since.

There is a flashback sequence which details this original sin, and it again uses that “digital de-aging” effects work that Disney has been so keen to play with over the last few years. While I’m not saying I want a “young Jack Sparrow” prequel, it is a kind of thrill to see an “in his prime” Jack Sparrow not as a bumbling drunk but as a whip-smart and ruthless pirate if only for a moment or two. The film goes out of its way to be a relatively straightforward adventure story, with several parties (Jack, Henry, Kaya Scodelario’s Carina Smyth) all seeking Poseidon’s Trident for their purposes.

Geoffrey Rush returns as Hector Barbossa as the villain-turned-anti-hero gets unwillingly involved in the spat between Sparrow and Salazar. That’s pretty much all the story you need, as we get the usual assortment of chases, escapes, close calls and battles by sword and by ship. The special effects work is superb here, and if Salazar’s ghost crew isn’t all that different from Barbossa’s original skeleton crew the work is still imposing and impressive. There isn’t much here we haven’t seen before, but it’s delivered with enough style and grace to merit its existence.

Yes, Jack Sparrow is still a relative drag on the proceedings, as he’s been more “fly in the ointment” than “useful rogue” at least since Dead Man’s Chest. Depp is fine, but the character’s shtick is a lot less funny than it was 14 years ago when it was something of a surprise to see a respected thespian hamming it up in an otherwise straight-faced mega-budget action fantasy. Bardem chews exactly as much scenery as you’d expect, while Thwaites and Scodelario make a charming hero/heroine match. They don’t try to mimic Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley, and the movie is better for it.

There is a timely subtext about an educated woman facing persecution and then having to manage stupid men whose gender gives them authority and the presumption of competence. Aside from that, and the emotional pull of tying up loose ends in the Pirates of the Caribbean mythology, there isn’t much here beyond superficial pleasures. The pleasures are genuine, and those merely seeking a full-throated pirate adventure with good company will walk away satisfied. The film looks gorgeous, and the action (save for the somewhat murky and chaotic finale) is well-staged and coherent. Alas, I found the chases-to-swordplay ratios to be tilted in the wrong direction.

Dead Men Tell No Tales is miles better than On Stranger Tides, and those who wanted a more grounded and less fantastical adventure may prefer it to Dead Man’s Chest and At World’s End. I still adore those shoot for the moon blowouts, for their sheer chutzpah, for their grim political commentary and for that time not so long ago when we could never imagine a bigger and more obscenely overstuffed blockbuster than At World’s End. The film, under two hours and relatively level-headed, ends on an elegant and surprisingly moving note. If this is to be the end, it works as a fitting finale.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon May 22, 2017 1:45 pm

'Pirates 5' review: This time around, dead men tell good tales
The series rights its course and fills its fifth film with adventure and heart. A spoiler-free review!

by Ashley Esqueda
c|net
May 22, 2017 6:00 AM PDT

Here's the thing that endears me most to the original Pirates ride at Disneyland: You sit down in the boat, cast off and enjoy the journey. When you get out, you feel a sense of fun and adventure that leaves you with a smile on your face and swashbuckling in your heart.

For a while, I was worried about Pirates of the Caribbean as a movie franchise. While I loved "Curse of the Black Pearl" and "Dead Man's Chest," it felt like "At World's End" and "On Stranger Tides" spun a little too far out of control, turning to deeply convoluted magical MacGuffins and confusing plots. Instead of leaving with that happy feeling I mentioned earlier, I left scratching my head a bit and fearing the films had lost their way.

Fortunately, "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales" regains its bearings, sets a course for the franchise's north star and breathes new life into the series by getting back to what made the first two films so enjoyable.

It wouldn't be a Pirates film without a magical treasure, and this time, everyone is after the Trident of Poseidon. The keeper of the trident can lift any curse and control the seas, so everyone wants to get their hands on it: Henry Turner (Brenton Thwaites), the young son of Will and Elizabeth Turner (Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley in brief cameos), hopes to break Davey Jones' curse on his father so he can have a real relationship with him; Lovable scallywag Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) still hasn't figured out how to free the Black Pearl, which is still trapped in a tiny bottle.

He's also being hunted down by the terrifying ghost Captain Armando Salazar (Javier Bardem) and Captain Hector Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush), who's become rich in the wake of the previous film and commands a fleet of pirate ships full of treasures. Also on his tail are astronomer Carina Smyth (Kaya Scodelario), a young woman intent on following a diary left to her by her father, and Scarfield (David Wenham), an officer in the Navy intent on controlling the seas and ridding it of pirates for good.

Depp's Jack Sparrow is as delightful as ever. His shenanigans prove to be charming and funny and he's seemingly a more thoughtful pirate this time around. Rush brings more humanity and depth to grizzled old sea dog Barbossa than I ever imagined possible, and newcomers Scodelario and Thwaites add youthful joy to the film as Henry and Carina. We're also treated to Jack's origin story -- that's the "young Jack" you've seen in the trailers -- and I'm happy to report it doesn't feel forced or cliche. The CG here is pretty well done; I'd say it's better than the slightly odd young Leia in "Rogue One," and feels successful because it's not overused (not to mention Johnny Depp actually did the acting here, instead of a stand in).

Bardem, on the other hand, makes for the series' best villain as Salazar -- his, calm, collected exterior just barely unable to hide the menacing terror underneath. Wenham's turn as Scarfield is, sadly, only here to help the other key pieces on the board move into place. He does a nice job with the character despite how limited his role ends up being compared to Bardem, Depp and Rush.

Visually, this is the most beautiful Pirates movie by a landslide -- it's stunning. Cinematographer Paul Cameron, a newcomer to the series, should be incredibly proud of his work here. Salazar's crew truly have a mystical, cursed look to them. I was mesmerized by Bardem's perpetually underwater hair. The sets are more colorful and exciting than in any previous installment. That's a welcome change after four movies full of algae greens, filthy browns and dry, dark reds. It also lends itself well to the 3D treatment if that's your jam. Me? I'm just happy Barbossa got to trade up to a golden peg leg. That's basically #pirategoals, right there.

The movie finds a way to squeeze its large cast into a relatively tight story without many detours, and there's still great heart at the center of the adventure. A post-credits scene appears to act as a soft reboot of the series, and I'm curious as to what Disney will do next since it's likely this will successfully breathe new life into the story.

Without giving away too much, it's safe to say Pirates is at its best when it's not just about lost treasures and magic, but family. The making (and breaking) of pirate families, blood families and lifelong allies are the heart and soul of this franchise. If that sounds a little cheesy, that's because it is. But somehow, "Dead Men" takes those concepts and creates the very same feeling as its inspiration. This time around, be ready to sit down, cast off and enjoy the ride.

"Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales" opens May 25 in the UK and Australia and May 26 in the US. In the UK it's called "Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge."

Lbock

Unread postby Lbock » Mon May 22, 2017 2:09 pm

It's amazing (shocking) how you can read reviews with completely opposite opinions. Quite Suspect

flo116

Unread postby flo116 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:48 pm

Oh I am so excited opening day is almost here and when I read this
"Visually, this is the most beautiful Pirates movie by a landslide" I started jumping up and down and that is not easy for me. :loveshower: I will probably not leave the theater all weekend. :myheart:
"What interested me was that he has so many faces" "But each one is completely pure & innocent" Francois Marie Banier about Johnny

Sweeney Todd

Unread postby Sweeney Todd » Tue May 23, 2017 4:07 am

Lbock wrote:It's amazing (shocking) how you can read reviews with completely opposite opinions. Quite Suspect

That's exactly how I feel. Everything we'd been reading/hearing prior to the reviews had been positive..
:sweeneydepp: Never forget. Never forgive. :sweeneydepp:

Dusi

Unread postby Dusi » Wed May 24, 2017 6:13 pm

I have to say I simply love the movie. It's more like the first POTC movie. Captain Jacks first appearance is hilarious and I often though about Henry "just like his father dear William". I can't wait to see it again. Even if it'll be in German.
:loveshower: :captainjack: :toastingpirates: :loveshower:
Free lunch, final wisdom, total coverage... why not?
Couldn't resist mate!
A kiss without a beard is like an egg without salt. :-)

BonBon

Unread postby BonBon » Wed May 24, 2017 7:13 pm

Yeah, Jack is really back!!! It's an awesome and funny movie like the first and second one. I'll watch it again that's for sure! "Drink me up hearties, yo ho!" :toastingpirates: :ok: :goodvibes: :applause2:
He looked at my pictures then to me and he said "Oh very good" 14/12/2010 in Berlin... the day I met Johnny Depp. 8/11/2011 in Paris... I met him again...19/7/2013 in Berlin...I met him for the third time! UNBELIEVABLE

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Thu May 25, 2017 3:13 pm

I saw it today on an iSense screen - the sound was amazing and the picture quality breathtaking. I absolutely loved it, of the sequels I think it is the one closest in spirit to the original film. This is just my opinion, but for me it benefitted from a slightly shorter running time and a less convoluted plot. It moves along at a cracking pace - the script is very sharp and witty and contains some brilliant one liners, double entendres and laugh out loud funny moments. I liked all the new characters - the two young leads are attractive and engaging and Javier Bardem is excellent as Salazar. The stand out moment for me was the flashback to the battle between Jack and Salazar when Jack was young. The recreation of "young Johnny/Jack" is just amazing. These scenes are very clever, giving us a glimpse of Jack when young, showing his cunning and charisma. It made me want to go and read The Price of Freedom all over again. It is an interesting balance with the older Jack we now see, who is somewhat down on his luck and perhaps not as adept at solving every situation as he used to be. There is also an interesting back story for Barbossa. Geoffrey Rush is very good at stealing bits of the film - his scenes with the brilliantly deadpan Murtogg and Mulroy are especially funny. I think Will and Elizabeth fans will like their scenes - myself I always found their characters a bit dull but I know a lot of people feel they are just as interesting as Jack. The ending contains a couple of surprises, one sad, one happy, and does Jack get the Pearl back? I don't want to give too much away and spoil it for others.

The film has had a lot of negative reviews in the U.K., not sure why, even if I wasn't a loyal follower of the franchise I think I would still enjoy it. It's fun and entertaining on a number of levels and as ever the special effects are stunning. The costumes are also noteworthy, everything is done with such care and attention to detail.

I'll always love Captain Jack, I fell in love with him first, and then Johnny. So happy to get another chance to be in his world again. Hope everyone enjoys the film as much as I did.
:loveshower: :lovehearts: :flashingheart: :captainjack: :toastingpirates: :dancingpirate: :pirategunshot:
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

reindeermoon

Unread postby reindeermoon » Thu May 25, 2017 3:35 pm

The movie opend today in my town. I loved it and I must admitt that I jumped when that shark jumped out of the water. It was not 3D, but very impressiv. Salazar/Javier Bardem is a great villain.
Even when it is the "old" music it does fit very well. I will go and watch it again.
Poor captain Jack is so funny. :captainjack:

Return to “News & Views”