The Lawsuits Thread

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
User avatar
Chocolat
Posts: 8802
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:52 am
Location: Sleepy Hollow

Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread postby Chocolat » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:18 pm

In light of the recent lawsuit and information regarding Amber Heard's domestic abuse toward Johnny, there's been outright repercussions she's experiencing. The backlash from comments on her Instagram affected her current L'Oreal mention pic, "advertising" L'Oreal's new makeup line, Les Chocolats. Inconsistent with Instagram's practice, all of the comments were wiped clean on the L'Oreal mention pic with no click button for any additional comments. It's only speculation on my part, but my guess is that it didn't sit well with her new affiliation with L'Oreal execs when they learned Depp fans are using social media to boycott their products if they continue to use Amber Heard as a spokes person.
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

User avatar
SnoopyDances
Posts: 48287
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:12 pm
Location: Tashmore Lake

Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:55 pm

Judymac wrote:There has been a long period of time between the filming of Aquaman and the upcoming release. AH has been forgotton. She needs attention and this is her way of getting it.

She was at Comic Con with the rest of the Aquaman cast.
The Aquaman panel was held shortly after the FB panel with Johnny.

User avatar
jruoss
Posts: 1535
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Flagstaff, AZ

Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread postby jruoss » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:37 pm

Ruby Begonia wrote:London Fields is supposed to be releasing soon

You don't say? That situation seemed to be a hopeless mess, I'm pretty surprised it's going to be released? I guess whoever invested in it wants to get some of their money back, but at this point, seeing Johnny in the same movie w AH and Billy Bob Thorton would be thoroughly weird I think.
"There is certainly a part of me that tends to be that loner. You never find me in the center of the crowd. I just like to stay back a little and hang in the shadows."

User avatar
Ruby Begonia
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread postby Ruby Begonia » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:44 pm

Chocolat wrote:....her current L'Oreal mention pic, "advertising" L'Oreal's new makeup line, Les Chocolats.


Must have been extra- annoying for you, "Chocolat"! :freaked:

I was horrified to find out L'Oreal had hired her since I USED TO buy some of their cosmetics and sulfate- free hair products. The Guess label is also a turnoff due to her past representation of it (which was thanks to JD, of course).

User avatar
Ruby Begonia
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread postby Ruby Begonia » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:16 pm

jruoss wrote:
Ruby Begonia wrote:London Fields is supposed to be releasing soon

You don't say? That situation seemed to be a hopeless mess, I'm pretty surprised it's going to be released? I guess whoever invested in it wants to get some of their money back, but at this point, seeing Johnny in the same movie w AH and Billy Bob Thorton would be thoroughly weird I think.

:cheers: jruoss. IMDB shows a Sep 20, 2018 release date and, back in June, the Shockya website had a ticket giveaway contest. I wasn't able to find tickets on Fandango as of today, so who knows?

Do any legal minds here know if the studio could release the film if the suits and countersuits are still being litigated? Last info I saw was an article on The Blast back in Feb 2018 that Amber was sanctioned approx $7,000 by the court for avoiding giving her deposition.

The 2015 cut of London Fields is at 0% with 11 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. :lol: Some of the reviews are funny but scathing. The last one by The Independent calls the film " car- crash filmmaking" and that all the performances are terrible except the good one by Johnny, who is uncredited. Johnny was also doing this film for free, l believe. Since Johnny doesn't stand to profit from London Fields, this will be the first Depp film I will have no problem skipping should it ever appear in a theater.

User avatar
meeps
Posts: 2717
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:13 am
Location: Hiding in my imagination?
Contact:

Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread postby meeps » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:36 am

Curious question, but maybe a bit off topic :blush:
When a newspaper "obtain" court documents, what does that usually means? Can anybody (or just journalists) read any court documents pertaining to any case? Or have they got access in a more underhanded manner?
I am of course delighted, that we can read, what Johnny is stating. But it just made me curious.

User avatar
Judymac
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 6:23 pm

Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread postby Judymac » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:07 am

SnoopyDances wrote:
Judymac wrote:There has been a long period of time between the filming of Aquaman and the upcoming release. AH has been forgotton. She needs attention and this is her way of getting it.

She was at Comic Con with the rest of the Aquaman cast.
The Aquaman panel was held shortly after the FB panel with Johnny.


I know that but that was very recently. My point was that she has not been getting the attention that she craves. I meant in general over a long period of time.

User avatar
SnoopyDances
Posts: 48287
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:12 pm
Location: Tashmore Lake

Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:48 pm

Judymac wrote:
SnoopyDances wrote:
Judymac wrote:There has been a long period of time between the filming of Aquaman and the upcoming release. AH has been forgotton. She needs attention and this is her way of getting it.

She was at Comic Con with the rest of the Aquaman cast.
The Aquaman panel was held shortly after the FB panel with Johnny.


I know that but that was very recently. My point was that she has not been getting the attention that she craves. I meant in general over a long period of time.

She can manufacture her attention when she wants to. :bigwink:

User avatar
SnoopyDances
Posts: 48287
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:12 pm
Location: Tashmore Lake

Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:03 pm

meeps wrote:Curious question, but maybe a bit off topic :blush:
When a newspaper "obtain" court documents, what does that usually means? Can anybody (or just journalists) read any court documents pertaining to any case? Or have they got access in a more underhanded manner?
I am of course delighted, that we can read, what Johnny is stating. But it just made me curious.

In the States, most court records are public domain and can be obtained by just about anyone. There are several websites available. Sometimes there is a fee, sometimes not, depending on the information being obtained.

Criminal cases might be sealed, but most are not. Juveniles convicted of a crime have sealed records, but parts of that could become public if the juvenile continues to commit crimes as an adult or if he/she commits murder or some other highly publicized crime.

Rape/sexual abuse victims may remain anonymous unless they choose to go public or the crime/case is already public before knowledge of a sexual offence has occurred (such as a child abduction). The court records can still be obtained with a "Jane Doe" or some other name used for the victim(s).

Civil court cases, such as Johnny's divorce, can be sealed. But when the cases are filed, the court documents are in public domain, it's the ruling/evidence/testimony that may get sealed at a later time.



► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Chocolat
Posts: 8802
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:52 am
Location: Sleepy Hollow

Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread postby Chocolat » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:53 pm

Thanks SnoopyDances.
I was confused about how Johnny's statement was obtained for publication.
I was under the impression that it was part of the sealed documents.
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

User avatar
jruoss
Posts: 1535
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Flagstaff, AZ

Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread postby jruoss » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:17 pm

Ruby Begonia wrote:The 2015 cut of London Fields is at 0% with 11 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. :lol: Some of the reviews are funny but scathing. The last one by The Independent calls the film " car- crash filmmaking" and that all the performances are terrible except the good one by Johnny, who is uncredited. Johnny was also doing this film for free, l believe. Since Johnny doesn't stand to profit from London Fields, this will be the first Depp film I will have no problem skipping should it ever appear in a theater.


Well I know I'm off the lawsuit topic here, but in the context of everything that happened with AH, and how generally shaky London Fields sounds, and the notion that Johnny only did a bit part for free, it'd probably be better if it never does get an official release... Unfortunately that's not going to erase AH from The Rum Diary... :rolleyes:
"There is certainly a part of me that tends to be that loner. You never find me in the center of the crowd. I just like to stay back a little and hang in the shadows."

User avatar
SnoopyDances
Posts: 48287
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:12 pm
Location: Tashmore Lake

Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:15 pm

Chocolat wrote:Thanks SnoopyDances.
I was confused about how Johnny's statement was obtained for publication.
I was under the impression that it was part of the sealed documents.

I assume his statements from the sealed divorce case have been used in the Sun case as part of the initial filing or as part of his deposition, thus unsealing that part of the case. :spin:

I could be totally wrong, too. :lol:

Ragdoll
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:08 pm

Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread postby Ragdoll » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:04 am

SnoopyDances wrote:
Chocolat wrote:Thanks SnoopyDances.
I was confused about how Johnny's statement was obtained for publication.
I was under the impression that it was part of the sealed documents.

I assume his statements from the sealed divorce case have been used in the Sun case as part of the initial filing or as part of his deposition, thus unsealing that part of the case. :spin:

I could be totally wrong, too. :lol:


Is that the whole point of the court case then? ;)

I wonder if anything else will come out that will help prove his innocence

User avatar
meeps
Posts: 2717
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:13 am
Location: Hiding in my imagination?
Contact:

Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread postby meeps » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:55 am

Yes, thanks a billion for that explanation, Snoopy :airkiss2:
But does anybody knows, if the U.K. has the same rules for access to court documents?

User avatar
SnoopyDances
Posts: 48287
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:12 pm
Location: Tashmore Lake

Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:38 pm

meeps wrote:Yes, thanks a billion for that explanation, Snoopy :airkiss2:
But does anybody knows, if the U.K. has the same rules for access to court documents?

Not sure how much of this applies to Johnny's case, but this is what I found on the UK side.





The Civil Procedure Rules
CPR 5.4C allows certain documents filed at court to be accessed by non-parties (ie. those not involved in the proceedings). Whether a request requires the court's permission or not will depend on the type of document that the non-party is seeking to obtain.

CPR 5.4C(1) entitles non-parties to access statements of case (eg. Particulars of Claim, Defences and Replies) without the permission of the court. However, a party to the proceedings or any person identified may apply for an order restricting access (CPR 5.4C(4)) to documents. Such applications are usually made where the documents to be filed contain sensitive or confidential information.

Access to documents other than statements of case is governed by CPR 5.4C(2), which entitles a non-party to obtain a copy of any other document filed by a party or communications between the court and a party or another person, only with the permission of the court. As such, any documents filed on the record of the court fall within the scope of CPR 5.4C(2).

Documents filed on the record of the court and which are read, or treated as read, are subject to a default position in favour of the principle of open justice where the applicant requesting them has a legitimate interest. The Court must balance this principle against any harm that may arise to other parties' legitimate interests when deciding whether to grant permission for that document to be accessed.


Return to “News & Views”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests