The Lawsuits Thread

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
SnoopyDances

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:36 pm

Johnny filed the suit in the UK. Here are some articles related to UK libel laws and how they differ from US libel laws. Very interesting.

In American courts, the burden of proof rests with the person who brings a claim of libel. In British courts, the author or journalist has the burden of proof, and typically loses.

Under the new rules, libel tourism is less common. It is no longer as easy for people with little U.K. presence to bring these lawsuits in British courts. The law now says someone making a libel claim must demonstrate that a defamatory statement will cause "serious harm."

This one is interesting in that Johnny doesn't live in the UK, but Rowling does. Since she is mentioned in the original article, I wonder if she is considering a similar suit or just having her mentioned in the article will help his case.

HOW TO WIN A DEFAMATION LAWSUIT IN THE UK
In order for a claimant to succeed in a defamation lawsuit, the following must be true:

The statement in question must be a negative false statement of fact;
The statement in question identifies or refers to the claimant;
The statement in question was published.

DEFAMATION DEFENSES IN UK
Acceptable defenses in a U.K. defamation case are:

Justification (truth);
Qualified Privilege (defendant did not act with malice; reporting of proceedings in a foreign court);
Reynolds Privilege (subject matter was sufficiently in the public interest, journalists researched carefully and behaved responsibly);
Absolute Privilege (fair and accurate reporting of domestic court proceedings); or
Fair Comment (matters of legitimate public concern that constitutes a comment, rather than a statement of fact, which an honest person could make on those matters [i.e. critique or film review]).

JURY OR JUDGE UNDER UK DEFAMATION LAW
In the UK, most defamation cases are settled out of court. If parties can agree, the jury can be dispensed in favor of a single judge. There are statutory provisions permitting a trial by a judge alone, if the case involves a significant number of documents or complex technical issues.

LIBEL TOURISM AND THE UK
Why is the UK known as the “libel tourism” capitol of the world? Aside from a “no win, no fee” contingency, damages awarded to libel claimants are high. As the term suggests, libel tourism is the practice of non-UK citizens or companies using UK courts for defamation cases because existing laws in the British Commonwealth favor plaintiffs. However, since the passing of the UK Defamation Act of 2013, libel tourism is expected to decrease.

meeps

Unread postby meeps » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:18 am

I love your take on it, SnoopyDances; that Johnny wants to defend Rowling :airkiss2: It sounds right to me, that our gentleman would want to do that :smiliewithhearts:
But I kinda dislike, that this will give Ms Heard more publicity. Bad publicity, if he wins, yes. But some say, all publicity is good publicity ...
Oh well, I can live with that, if this court case could make the gossip journalists a bit more cautious in the future :heart:

Ade

Unread postby Ade » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:40 am

I think that article was - quite rightly - picked up by Johnny's team because the wording and tone are actually libellous - the many other articles that talk about it do say that there were allegations or claims of DV. There was one other article written from an interview with AH (where the journalist clearly got drunk) and wrote the words "that means he beat her" which I thought they would have sued over but good sense probably meant that they didn't because the article was about her and her interview and it would have therefore looked like it was attacking her and might have been tricky with the NDA they have; and secondly it was in a magazine no one reads.

Did you notice that People magazine said that he 'strongly denied' the allegations - some of the articles don't bother writing that he denied them - just by slapping down a law suit they've hopefully got some of the sloppy publications to tighten up a bit.

meeps

Unread postby meeps » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:03 am

If Johnny really behaved that way, why wasn't he arrested on the spot? And why is it only now the alleged victim sues?
Anyway here's yet another lawsuit :tear:

Ade

Unread postby Ade » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:34 am

A year and a half later? When the director and others have already said it's nonsense? But the guy has seen others suing? And it turns out he was fired ...... so yeah.

Horrible though.

justintime

Unread postby justintime » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:10 am

Horrible, yes, Ade. Actually, beyond anything I could have imagined. Calling it a feeding frenzy isn’t enough. I am, as I guess most of us are, very worried, especially about the toll this is taking on Johnny. I am so grateful for the emotional boost he received from the tour - I hope it will help him keep focused going forward. There is some kind of mediation meeting this Saturday, the 14th, I think. Perhaps Mr. Waldman will redeem himself now that it is time to show what he and his colleagues are made of . . .
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

reindeermoon

Unread postby reindeermoon » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:02 am

It is interesting how it is now in all those tabloids because it is not new. It really seems connected to the TMG lawsuit. Painting him as black as possible.

meeps

Unread postby meeps » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:32 am

Yes ... And if it is connected to the TMG lawsuit, as you say - and I actually don't doubt you - but the tabloids certainly forgot to mention that. I read three different versions of this to find the most informative. But they didn't mention that interesting tidbit either of them.

meeps

Unread postby meeps » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:05 pm

Ehm - just me again with a sarcastic ccmment to this. If Johnny really is as broke as the rumours will have it, then how will this guy expect to be paid if he wins? Has he thought of that, do you think? Or is Johnny only broke when it suits the tabloid's "narrative"?

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:17 pm

meeps wrote:Ehm - just me again with a sarcastic ccmment to this. If Johnny really is as broke as the rumours will have it, then how will this guy expect to be paid if he wins? Has he thought of that, do you think? Or is Johnny only broke when it suits the tabloid's "narrative"?

It's time for press junkets and promotions for City of Lies...everyone will be using their 15 minutes of fame to capitalize on the promotional tour/movie.

If the film does well, Johnny will be paid well (I'm sure he gets a portion of the gross receipts and all merchandise, etc.).
Folks are queuing up for "their share".

reindeermoon

Unread postby reindeermoon » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:06 pm

They had a few films with Johnny on German tv, Transcendence, Mortdecai and Edward. I do not know if Johnny gets money for it.
But did the lawyer not serve Johnny in time? So what about a lawsuit if that was not right?
And it seems he was lying about not knowing Johnny before, because he worked on The Brave. What would that mean for a trial if somebody is lying like this? And there is a new Lego figure, Grindelwald.
It seems everybody wants to put his hands into Johnnys pockets. Lawyer and client smell money I suppose

tralala

Unread postby tralala » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:28 pm

reindeermoon wrote:And it seems he was lying about not knowing Johnny before, because he worked on The Brave.

Lol, out of all Johnny's movies, that's the one that makes the statement of not knowing him the hardest to believe.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:14 pm

Here's the latest lawsuit filing. The crewman is not only going after Johnny, he's also included the director, the producer, and both production companies (Good Film Productions and Infinitum Nihil)

meeps

Unread postby meeps » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:46 am

One article yesterday about Fantastic Beast of course used this to practically claim, that Amber was right all along in her claims. And call - again - for Rowling and others to find another actor for Grindelwald :sad: 'Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law' must have been outlaw by some court or other, right :eyebrow: ?

Sweeney Todd

Unread postby Sweeney Todd » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:23 am

meeps wrote:One article yesterday about Fantastic Beast of course used this to practically claim, that Amber was right all along in her claims. And call - again - for Rowling and others to find another actor for Grindelwald :sad: 'Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law' must have been outlaw by some court or other, right :eyebrow: ?

They can't compare an allegation of getting into a fight with a man he doesn't know to withdrawn allegations of DV. Heard remains the only woman to ever accuse him of abuse, this recent lawsuit doesn't vindicate her in any way.
:sweeneydepp: Never forget. Never forgive. :sweeneydepp:

Return to “News & Views”