Johnny helps Make a Film Foundation grant film wishes

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:40 pm

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/d448c9ff3 ... 25c78c.jpg

Got another e-mail from Tamika Lamison. Wish I could share the whole thing, because it's got a trailer, some new images, and all the info about the April 22 premiere. But anyone planning to go to that can find out what they need to know on the Make a Film page. I think this is just the "poster" for the film...
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"I've got a lot of Barbies in storage..."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:00 pm

Well, here's one of those new images. Johnny remaining casual in the grip of a zombie.
https://gallery.mailchimp.com/d448c9ff3 ... 3b688.jpeg
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:17 pm

Nice...thanks for the pics, jruoss!

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:42 pm

Just watched the trailer- turns out it's on youtube. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/A1HHPcsl-PU

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:05 pm

:thanks!: jrouss!

Jcollection

Unread postby Jcollection » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:04 am

Some hour ago I could not sleep, looked around for some info about this day and come upon a live Periscop.
Saved upload, enjoy!
Sadly no Johnny Depp or the film, but a bit of talk before the film.
https://youtu.be/WVn8TK2f2iM

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:05 am

Jcollection wrote:Some hour ago I could not sleep, looked around for some info about this day and come upon a live Periscop.
Saved upload, enjoy!
Sadly no Johnny Depp or the film, but a bit of talk before the film.
https://youtu.be/WVn8TK2f2iM

:thanks!:

:welcome: Jcollection! :hatsoff:

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:02 pm

Here are some words from Leonard Maltin about The Black Ghiandola, taken from the Make a Film page. Apparently he hosted a panel after the premiere. Also, there is information on a limited edition run of the DVD featuring artwork by Guillermo Del Toro! See the website for details, but a $20 donation is all it takes to get a copy of the DVD, $100 to get one of the limited edition with Del Toro's artwork.

Less than a month ago Andy Shapiro over at Legendary put Jessie and me in contact with Tamika Lamison, founder and head of the Make a Film Foundation. As soon as I watched a TV news story about the organization, I was in. On Saturday night I moderated a panel following a screening of their newest film at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, hosted by actor Bruce Davison. It was an inspiring evening and I felt humbled to be a part of it. Once you learn about MAFF I think you’ll respond the same way.

In the spirit of the Make-a-Wish Foundation, this group helps kids with life-threatening diseases realize their dream of creating a movie. Their motto? “LIFE…Camera…Action!” Most youngsters want to tell their stories in short documentaries, and the organization has produced 100 of these to date. Others want to use drama and fantasy to express their feelings. MAFF’s latest endeavor brought together three A-list directors (Sam Raimi, Catherine Hardwicke, and Ted Melfi), an exceptional cast (including Johnny Depp, Laura Dern, David Lynch, and Richard Chamberlain) and a host of film industry professionals, from screenwriters and cinematographers to makeup artists and production assistants. Paramount Pictures, Technicolor, and other companies donated their services to create a professional 11-minute short. Oscar-winning composers Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross contributed a score. A popular television show generously provided fake blood. No one said “no.”

The impetus for this collaboration was an irresistible 16-year-old boy from Walpole, Massachusetts named Anthony Conti, who suffered from a rare cancer that attacked his adrenal glands. He was an aspiring filmmaker and a born storyteller–you can check out his colorful YouTube channel HERE. When he was diagnosed last July he submitted a proposal to Make a Film Foundation. Anthony’s sincerity and obvious passion for moviemaking sealed the deal. MAFF founder Tamika Lamison flew to Boston to meet Anthony and his family and invite them to Hollywood.

Tamika explained to the Academy audience that it usually takes months to pull a production team together. In Anthony’s case she knew she had to work faster–two weeks to be exact. Producer and casting director Adele Rene got busy actor J.K. Simmons on the phone. He had already appeared in an MAFF short and was happy to return, but only had one day free: that Friday. There was no alternative but to schedule a shoot with the Oscar-winning actor. Filmmaker Wash Westmoreland was recruited to help director Catherine Hardwicke craft a monologue Simmons could deliver to camera, without knowing what the rest of the script would look like! All they knew was that Anthony’s story involved zombies attacking adrenal glands.

In a similar vein, word came from Johnny Depp one evening that he would be on the set and ready to participate the following day at noon. Hardwicke furiously typed a speech for him to deliver. Anthony was weak but thrilled to be seeing his dream come true. His scene with Depp is a highlight, topped only by a lengthy out-take featuring the two of them that runs during the closing credits. (No matter how bad he felt on a given day, Anthony was no pushover. Several people on the panel told amusing stories about Anthony holding his ground to make the film just as he envisioned it. He also got two of his favorite actors on board: Chad Coleman from The Walking Dead and Jade Pettyjohn from the TV series School of Rock.)

The world premiere of Anthony’s film The Black Ghiandola was held in his hospital room–he was diagnosed in July 2016 and passed in January 2017. MAFF found a way to make his dreams come true in that small window of time.

Everyone who knew and worked with him was impressed with how “alive” he was, and agreed that this highly personal film, along with his YouTube videos, will keep him alive for years to come. Words can’t really capture this feeling; you have to see Anthony Conti for yourself.

Leonard Maltin

March 28, 2017
Guillermo Del Toro has just signed on to do the dream Limited Edition DVD art for Anthony Conti’s movie, THE BLACK GHIANDOLA

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:50 pm

A couple corrections to previous post:

Leonard Maltin moderated The Black Ghiandola panel, actor Bruce Davison was the host. I'm going to look on youtube again, but so far have found no video for this, and I don't know who all was part of the panel. (I'm not sure how Davison is connected to Make a Film, but I mainly know him from a great 1981 adaptation of Ursula K LeGuin's novel, The Lathe of Heaven. And that he plays a senator in the first 1 or 2 X-Men movies.)

Also, if you're interested in a regular version of the DVD, there is an add to cart option near the bottom of the page, which is an automatic $25 donation and $2 shipping, as opposed to the $20 minimum that I had thought it was.

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:53 pm

jruoss wrote:Also, if you're interested in a regular version of the DVD, there is an add to cart option near the bottom of the page, which is an automatic $25 donation and $2 shipping, as opposed to the $20 minimum that I had thought it was.

I got the $20 figure from the news article about Del Toro's limited edition DVDs, which pops up when the Leonard Maltin article is clicked on. There it says a $20 donation gets you a regular version of the disc. However, see above.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:20 pm

jruoss wrote:A couple corrections to previous post:

Leonard Maltin moderated The Black Ghiandola panel, actor Bruce Davison was the host. I'm going to look on youtube again, but so far have found no video for this, and I don't know who all was part of the panel. (I'm not sure how Davison is connected to Make a Film, but I mainly know him from a great 1981 adaptation of Ursula K LeGuin's novel, The Lathe of Heaven. And that he plays a senator in the first 1 or 2 X-Men movies.)

Also, if you're interested in a regular version of the DVD, there is an add to cart option near the bottom of the page, which is an automatic $25 donation and $2 shipping, as opposed to the $20 minimum that I had thought it was.

Thank you for the information. I should be getting the DVD. :cool:

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Fri May 05, 2017 5:27 pm

Me too, I hope. It was a little confusing, I didn't see that "add to cart" option right away, so I ended up doing two separate donations through the main MAFF donate option to total $27. I would have liked to get one of the limited edition copies with Guillermo Del Toro's artwork, but do not have the extra funds to splurge on that.

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Sat May 13, 2017 7:14 pm

nebraska wrote:Thank you for the information. I should be getting the DVD. :cool:

Hey nebraska, have you gotten any more news about this DVD? I haven't been able to find anything else about how soon they will be ready and shipped. But do me a favor, and let me know if yours arrives?
In the meantime, here is a link to a different BG trailer...
http://makeafilmfoundation.us15.list-ma ... d5f70a87b2

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun May 14, 2017 5:42 pm

jruoss wrote:
nebraska wrote:Thank you for the information. I should be getting the DVD. :cool:

Hey nebraska, have you gotten any more news about this DVD? I haven't been able to find anything else about how soon they will be ready and shipped. But do me a favor, and let me know if yours arrives?
In the meantime, here is a link to a different BG trailer...
http://makeafilmfoundation.us15.list-ma ... d5f70a87b2

I have not heard anything yet. My guess is that it will be a while. Weeks if not months. I trust you have looked at the website to see if anything has been updated there.

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:46 pm

nebraska wrote:I have not heard anything yet. My guess is that it will be a while. Weeks if not months. I trust you have looked at the website to see if anything has been updated there.

Got my copy in the mail yesterday! I haven't watched it yet, but I can tell you that the cover, besides the artwork, and the title "Anthony Conti's The Black Ghiandola", has a quote from Johnny: "The Make A Film Foundation I think is genius. I just think it is such a great idea. And for me to be chosen to be a part of this very personal moment for Anthony... I just tried to make him laugh."
Also there are some special features, which include some trailers, a behind the scenes documentary, and a MAFF Vidz For Kidz short doc "The Question". I searched to see if I could find any evidence of the limited edition cover that Guillermo Del Toro was slated for... none so far, so I'm not sure whether that happened. But I haven't been back to the MAFF page since the DVD arrived, there could be updated info about the Del Toro cover there. Could be that cover is only meant for the eyes of the $100+ donors, and MAFF is intentionally not going to put that image up.

Return to “News & Views”