Johnny Depp to Star in J.K. Rowling's 'Fantastic Beasts' Sequel

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
Johanna

Unread postby Johanna » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:33 am

flo116 wrote:OMG thank you Johanna I saw pictures and I thought that was Jamie Campbell Bower as young Grindelwald. That is just so right. :heartflower:
I hope to see Fantastic Beasts Friday.

You are very welcome. :hatsoff:

Have fun at the movie, I think you'll really enjoy it!
Hi Mom! (a.k.a. Radwen)

"Sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice Kingsley

"You may kill me, but you may never insult me." - Jack Sparrow

bringmethathorizon

Unread postby bringmethathorizon » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:58 pm

I am going to see it today, I was going to see this one before I knew Johnny would be in it, so super!! I love fantasy movies, like Pirates, Jurasic Park, Alice in Wonderland, a place to escape and dream about. I was not interested in Harry Potter, because it was full of kids, I know that sounds bad, but I also don't like robots, and space movies and Divergent and no superheros!! I love the creatures and the fantasy , it takes me away to a fun place. I swear I was a pirate or white queen in my past life. Makes me very thankful on this Thanksgiving weekend to see Johnny moving forward in a very positive way.
"This is the one I'll be remembered for"
Edward D. Wood, Jr.

FANtasticJD

Unread postby FANtasticJD » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:56 am

It was nice that Colleen Atwood won the Oscar for her costumes in Fantastic Beasts. :applause2: She always dresses Johnny so well.
“Who wants to be normal when you can be unique?”
Helena Bonham Carter

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:20 am

FANtasticJD wrote:It was nice that Colleen Atwood won the Oscar for her costumes in Fantastic Beasts. :applause2: She always dresses Johnny so well.

She really created some amazing costumes for the entire cast! I, too, am pleased she won.

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:15 pm

This isn't news, but I came across some videos from a little over a year ago where Terry Gilliam, while doing press for his autobiography Gilliamesque, talks about how he was sort of "in the running" to direct one of the Harry Potter films, how Rowling must have seen Python, etc., and how perfect he actually would have been for that material. I haven't read the books or seen the movies, but according to Terry, the third movie is the only one that lived up to what's in the books. He seemed satisfied that the third was close enough to what he would have done, can't remember the director's name. Anyway, I find it interesting that both he and Tim Burton came relatively close to doing a Harry Potter film, especially in light of the new opportunities that Fantastic Beasts present. I get the feeling that since these movies aren't being adapted from books, Rowling has more input into what the movies will be. I also get the feeling that she'd be delighted to have a Terry Gilliam or a Tim Burton get in on the action, which, with Johnny set to be a main character, doesn't seem completely outside the realm of possibility.
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"I've got a lot of Barbies in storage..."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:38 pm

I'll be honest, I hope not. I really loved what David Yates did with the first foray into this story. I see no point in moving away from that. I like Tim Burton, but let him continue his own creative path. And Gilliam, the same. Both of these men are fine artists but let's see where Yates goes next.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

justintime

Unread postby justintime » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:07 pm

Agreed - on all fronts, fireflydances, but (selfishly, perhaps) most importantly for Johnny.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:06 pm

Fair enough, but with 5 movies in the works, what are the chances that Yates will be directing all of them? Probably at some point it will be someone else. I have not yet seen Fantastic Beasts, so I can't comment one way or another on his direction. However, I did leave out a key part in my last post, which is that Rowling wanted Gilliam to do one of the Harry Potters, and the studio met with Terry just to show Rowling they were listening. But they were never planning to give Terry the job, and he knew that going in, but he went to the meeting and started getting excited about it anyway. Now whether J.K. Rowling would see Gilliam in the same light when it comes to these new movies I don't know, but I get the impression Beasts isn't all that different from Potter. Once again, Rowling sought Terry out for her material, it's not just me making plugs for my two favorite directors. Everyone else is entitled to their opinions, but I stand by mine. Gilliam is one of the geniuses in the history of film, and though his name comes up often here, Johnny's only done 1.5 movies with him.
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:11 pm

justintime wrote:Agreed - on all fronts, fireflydances, but (selfishly, perhaps) most importantly for Johnny.

For Johnny? He loves working with those guys. Are you just worried about the press getting on him if he ever works with with Burton or Gilliam again? I don't see how avoiding these guys is supposed to be a positive for Johnny.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:23 pm

jruoss wrote:Fair enough, but with 5 movies in the works, what are the chances that Yates will be directing all of them? Probably at some point it will be someone else. I have not yet seen Fantastic Beasts, so I can't comment one way or another on his direction. However, I did leave out a key part in my last post, which is that Rowling wanted Gilliam to do one of the Harry Potters, and the studio met with Terry just to show Rowling they were listening. But they were never planning to give Terry the job, and he knew that going in, but he went to the meeting and started getting excited about it anyway. Now whether J.K. Rowling would see Gilliam in the same light when it comes to these new movies I don't know, but I get the impression Beasts isn't all that different from Potter. Once again, Rowling sought Terry out for her material, it's not just me making plugs for my two favorite directors. Everyone else is entitled to their opinions, but I stand by mine. Gilliam is one of the geniuses in the history of film, and though his name comes up often here, Johnny's only done 1.5 movies with him.

David Yates will be directing the remaing four movies. He directed the last four of the Potter movies.

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:43 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:David Yates will be directing the remaing four movies. He directed the last four of the Potter movies.

Is that official, signed on the dotted line sort of thing? At first glance that doesn't sound like great news to me. I do trust my buddy Terry's opinions about film for the most part, so when he says the third Harry Potter movie is the only one that really got it, it doesn't fill me with enthusiasm about David Yates. Sorry.

Raven_Rock

Unread postby Raven_Rock » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:08 am

So I've just read that Johnny is being replaced by Benedict Cumberbatch in the sequal of Fantastic Beasts. Being a huge Potter fan I was not overally happy about Johnny being Grindelwald But i can't see Cumberbatch being a great Grindelwald especially as Martin Freeman being cast as Dumbledore. They work for the Sherlock story but the fantastic beasts stories ????? I don't know ...
You're entirely bonkers, but I'll tell you a secret, all the best people are ...

reindeermoon

Unread postby reindeermoon » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:25 am

Benedict Cumberbatch would not fit as Grindelwald.
It is a reason not to go and watch the films.
Is it really true or one of the fake news against Johnny?
:banghead:

Raven_Rock

Unread postby Raven_Rock » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:52 am

reindeermoon wrote:Benedict Cumberbatch would not fit as Grindelwald.
It is a reason not to go and watch the films.
Is it really true or one of the fake news against Johnny?
:banghead:

Not sure reindeermoon whether it's fake news or not. Read it on www.hypable.com, apparently J.K Rowling as tweeted about it to state how thrilled she is about them signing up however I follow her on twitter and can't find the tweet.
If I knew how to link things I would have!!! I'm hopeless with these things!
You're entirely bonkers, but I'll tell you a secret, all the best people are ...

humiliatedgrape

Unread postby humiliatedgrape » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:11 am

It was an April Fools joke
I think we are all somewhat screwy, every single one of us.
☆5/7/2011☆6/22/2013☆
http://www.dreamofdepp.tumblr.com

Return to “News & Views”