MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS Updates

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
emma

Unread postby emma » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:03 pm

Daisy Ridley, Johnny Depp and Judi Dench Enchant in First Footage From ‘Murder on the Orient Express’

CinemaCon 2017: Gorgeous footage has characters looking into who killed a train passenger
Beatrice Verhoeven | March 30, 2017 @ 12:12 PM
Murder on the Orient Express

Audiences at CinemaCon 2017 got to see an enchanting sneak peek of Fox’s “Murder on the Orient Express,” starring Daisy Ridley, Johnny Depp, Judi Dench and Michelle Pfeiffer.

The trailer for Fox’s remake of the 1974 mystery film is not yet available to the public. It opens with Ridley, Dench and Leslie Odom, Jr. sitting in the cafeteria wagon of the Orient Express. It’s lavish and beautiful and full of elegance, and the trailer soon skips to Depp and Michelle Pfeiffer making eyes at each other in the hallway of the train. However, the train soon comes to a screeching halt as it becomes evident there has been a murder on the train — and of course, everyone claims they are innocent.

At one point, the footage showed the perspective of detective Hercule Poirot (Kenneth Branagh), who is interviewing the main cast of the movie. There’s crying, reiterations of innocence and pure shock as the passengers learn what has occurred on the train.

Branagh is directing the remake. Ridley Scott of Scott Free and Simon Kinberg of Genre Films are producing with Mark Gordon and Branagh. Michael Green, who wrote the new “Blade Runner” movie for Scott, is adapting Christie’s 1934 detective novel.

The story follows gifted detective Hercule Poirot as he investigates the murder of an American tycoon aboard the titular train. Branagh stars as the detective, while Depp plays Ratchett, the murdered man.

Pfeiffer plays Mrs. Hubbard, a passenger aboard the train. Previously, Angelina Jolie had been attached to the role. Ridley stars as Mary Debenham and Dench portrays Princess Dragomiroff. Odom Jr., Lucy Boynton, Tom Bateman and Derek Jacobi are also part of the ensemble.

Christie’s novel was published in 1934. James Prichard and Hilary Strong of Agatha Christie Ltd. will executive produce.

The film is set for a November 22 release.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:27 pm

:omg: I hope the trailer will be out soon.

Thanks emma!

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:56 pm

The release date for the movie has shifted a couple of weeks...

Slashfilm
Saturday, April 22nd, 2017

Taking Red Sparrow‘s old November 10, 2017 release date will be the remake of Murder on the Orient Express, starring Kenneth Branagh (who also directs), Daisy Ridley, Penelope Cruz, Willem Dafoe, Judi Dench, Johnny Depp, Josh Gad, Leslie Odom Jr., Michelle Pfeiffer, Lucy Boynton and more. It could be one that goes for some awards, especially in the acting department.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:02 pm

:giddy:

Lbock

Unread postby Lbock » Wed May 03, 2017 10:39 am

Orient express is on entertainment weekly cover. I don't know how to post an image...

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Wed May 03, 2017 1:12 pm

:giddy:

Thanks lbock!
The pics look fabulous. Looks like Johnny won't play an "old" man, like the book described and other versions have shown.
And they seem to have added more characters than the book.
I'm really looking forward to this one. :-O

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Wed May 03, 2017 10:42 pm

Here are the pics from the EW link that Lbock posted.

:pc3:

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Wed May 03, 2017 10:43 pm

:pc2:

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu May 04, 2017 12:14 am

:thanks!: Theresa!
Great pics of each cast member.

Love the artistic/vintage styling. Glad they're keeping it in the original time period.

emma

Unread postby emma » Sat May 06, 2017 4:39 am

All-Star ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Cast Assembles in London

Robert Mitchell

MAY 5, 2017 | 07:22AM PT

Director Kenneth Branagh and the starry cast of his new version of “Murder On the Orient Express” gathered in London on Friday to show off new footage from the upcoming adaptation of Agatha Christie’s classic whodunit. Almost the entire ensemble cast, which includes Oscar winners Judi Dench and Penelope Cruz, “Star Wars” actress Daisy Ridley, BAFTA winner Olivia Colman and Tony winner Josh Gad, was on hand, with only Johnny Depp and Michelle Pfeiffer notable absentees.

They were later followed onstage by director Francis Lawrence, who introduced 18 minutes of footage from his upcoming spy thriller “Red Sparrow,” starring Jennifer Lawrence, which is currently shooting in London.

Branagh, who plays Belgian detective Hercule Poirot, introduced about 10 to 15 minutes of work-in-progress footage from the Fox film, saying: “This is the very first time any of this footage has been seen in this way. We’re very excited to share the promise and potential of this work.”

The footage featured four brief scenes that introduced the central characters, established the murder of one of them, and showed off the film’s epic vistas of snow-capped mountains. The footage was followed by the film’s trailer, which was first unveiled at CinemaCon in March.

Branagh and the cast spoke of the camaraderie on set, with Derek Jacobi, who plays the butler to Depp’s Edward Ratchett, describing the ensemble as having “a wonderful company feel about it.”

“What was very extraordinary was that we were all together,” added Dench, who plays Princess Dragomiroff. “It wasn’t like a film where you all do different bits. In this case we were all there all the time.”

Gad, who plays Depp’s assistant, said the backgrounds that were shot rolled by the windows of the on-set railway carriage during filming in England, “so it really felt like we were there.”

“I found myself going to the end of the train to watch the scenery go by as if I was on a real train, and I wasn’t the only one,” Branagh said, adding that the impression was so real to the cast and crew that it caused some ill effects. “Quite a few of us got motion sickness,” he said.

Gad said the production design was equally important to getting in character and into the story. “It was surreal. I just had the opportunity to go on the real Orient Express, and the detail that the production team brought is unreal, exquisite. It is so spot-on,” said Gad. “For us that intimacy really lends itself to Ken’s vision. When you’re in a confined environment, it creates a sense of unease, even if you have nothing to hide.”

The film, currently in post production and set for a Nov. 10 release, is the first big-screen treatment of Christie’s famous 1934 novel since Sidney Lumet’s 1974 version, which won a best supporting actress Oscar for Ingrid Bergman.

At the London event, Christie’s great-grandson James Prichard, who chairs the company that controls her estate, said the story was probably born of the prolific crime writer’s first trip on the legendary train in 1928 and that securing Branagh to direct and star was “awe-inspiring.” “He gets the grandeur of the work, and his vision as he first told it us made my hair stand up,” said Prichard.

Branagh said he made a conscious decision not to watch Lumet’s version, and that he had advised the cast also to avoid watching it. “Our goal is to try and find a new approach. That’s why classic stories are worth retelling,” he said, adding that “there are some surprises.”

Speaking later in the day about “Red Sparrow,” Francis Lawrence said he had about a week left to shoot on the film, which is due for release March 2, 2018.

The director said the film, which re-teams him for a fourth time with Jennifer Lawrence following the three “Hunger Games” sequels, was “definitely a hard R [rating].” He said the biggest thrill for him was working with Lawrence on a role that he described as “very brave and very different for her.”

“She was willing to take some risks in this movie I think she might not have been willing to do for someone she didn’t know,” said the director.

He also said the film’s Russian spy narrative became “more politically relevant the more we worked on it.” “One of the questions we had originally was that thematically it didn’t seem as relevant as it could, but that had completely changed in the past year. It rings very true now,” said Lawrence, who first read the book while in post production on the “Hunger Games: Mockingjay” films.

Although the film is based on the first book of a trilogy, he said there were currently no plans to do sequels. But he added: “If this were to work, it would be fantastic to do another one.”

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Sat May 06, 2017 5:40 pm

The footage featured four brief scenes that introduced the central characters, established the murder of one of them, and showed off the film’s epic vistas of snow-capped mountains.

Gad, who plays Depp’s assistant, said the backgrounds that were shot rolled by the windows of the on-set railway carriage during filming in England, “so it really felt like we were there.”

“I found myself going to the end of the train to watch the scenery go by as if I was on a real train, and I wasn’t the only one,” Branagh said, adding that the impression was so real to the cast and crew that it caused some ill effects. “Quite a few of us got motion sickness,” he said.

Sounds nice and atmospheric. Impressive how the moving scenery was so convincing to those on set. Does anyone know what mountain range(s) the Orient Express passes through? I'm thinking Himalayas...
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"I've got a lot of Barbies in storage..."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

FANtasticJD

Unread postby FANtasticJD » Sat May 06, 2017 5:56 pm

jruoss wrote:
Sounds nice and atmospheric. Impressive how the moving scenery was so convincing to those on set. Does anyone know what mountain range(s) the Orient Express passes through? I'm thinking Himalayas...

This has always been a European line. It originally ran from Istanbul to Paris with an interim stop in Venice. That was the route during the time of the film's setting. It went through the Alps
“Who wants to be normal when you can be unique?”
Helena Bonham Carter

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Sat May 06, 2017 6:07 pm

Thanks FAN. The Alps were my second guess...
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"I've got a lot of Barbies in storage..."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sat May 06, 2017 9:51 pm

Not sure if you want this in the video thread or not...it's two guys who saw a preview at CinemaCon in March giving a very enthusiastic review. :popcorn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdxBRY3bKww

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sat May 06, 2017 10:00 pm

I looked for the magazine today, but couldn't find it. Perhaps tomorrow or Monday. :waiting:

Murder on the Orient Express director Kenneth Branagh geeked out over Johnny Depp

Murder on the Orient Express director Sir Kenneth Branagh has worked with a lot of very well-known actors during his career including Robert De Niro, Tom Cruise, Anthony Hopkins, and Cate Blanchett. But Branagh admits that even he gushed (his word!) when he first met Johnny Depp, who plays the character of Ratchett in the Agatha Christie adaptation (out Nov. 10).

“When I first met Johnny, I remember just giving a list of the performances of his that I admired, including one particular favorite in Ed Wood,” says Branagh, who himself plays Belgian detective Hercule Poirot in Orient Express. “I must have gone on for 10 minutes about a performance that almost no other actor in our business could give, that I thought was so beautiful and unique. So, yeah, I was a gusher in that regard. But the great thing about all the greats that I’ve worked with is that they immediately become collaborators and companions, and all of that falls away for the period while you’re working.”

Last edited by SnoopyDances on Sat May 06, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “News & Views”