MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS Updates

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
jruoss

Johnny Depp & Michelle Pfeiffer Reportedly Eyed For Kenneth Branagh’s ‘Murder On The Orient Express’

Unread postby jruoss » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:36 pm

I don't know this one, But when I first saw the title, I thought of a Ray Bradbury short story called "On The Orient Express North", where a lady befriends an old man who turns out to be a ghost. That would be an interesting role for Johnny, but I'll watch this if he's in it...
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"I've got a lot of Barbies in storage..."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

meeps

Johnny Depp & Michelle Pfeiffer Reportedly Eyed For Kenneth Branagh’s ‘Murder On The Orient Express’

Unread postby meeps » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:51 am

That does sound like a great story, yes. But the Murder On The Orient Express is another good yarn and written by Agatha Christie :airkiss2:

emma

Unread postby emma » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:27 am

Patrick Doyle to Score Kenneth Branagh’s ‘Murder on the Orient Express’
Posted: October 10, 2016 by filmmusicreporter in Film Scoring Assignments

Doyle confirmed in a recent interview with BBC Radio 3 that is reteaming with Kenneth Branagh on the upcoming new film adaptation of Murder on the Orient Express. The film stars Branagh as detective Hercule Poirot, alongside Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer, Daisy Ridley, Judi Dench, Lucy Boynton, Tom Bateman, Derek Jacobi, Michael Peņa and Leslie Odom Jr. The movie is based on the novel of the same title by Agatha Christie and follows Poirot as he investigates the murder of a wealthy American traveling on a train. Michael Green (Blade Runner 2, Green Lantern) has written the screenplay. Branagh is also producing the project with Ridley Scott (Gladiator, Alien, The Martian), Simon Kinberg (X-Men: Days of Future Past, Deadpool) and Mark Gordon (Steve Jobs, Grey’s Anatomy). Doyle has previously scored most of Branagh’s directorial efforts, including Henry V, Much Ado About Nothing, Hamlet, Thor and last year’s Cinderella. Murder on the Orient Express is set to be released on November 22, 2017 by 20th Century Fox

Johanna

Unread postby Johanna » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:02 pm

That all sounds AMAZING. Can't wait - I love Murder on the Orient Express, and mystery in general. :applause2:
Hi Mom! (a.k.a. Radwen)

"Sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice Kingsley

"You may kill me, but you may never insult me." - Jack Sparrow

cussot

Unread postby cussot » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:20 am

Aren't there any new stories worth doing? This is such an old chestnut. :bored:

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:44 pm

cussot wrote:Aren't there any new stories worth doing? This is such an old chestnut. :bored:

Not sure what you mean. :perplexed2:

Johnny's involvement, as well as the rest of the cast, are fairly new revelations for this movie.
And, I believe, filming starts soon.

flo116

Unread postby flo116 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:51 pm

YES it has a release date in Nov. 2017. I just watched the 1974 version with Ms Bacall I think that is the part Michelle Pfeiffer plays, it is good Ms Bacall is really good. I really enjoy her movies and I think JD does too.
"What interested me was that he has so many faces" "But each one is completely pure & innocent" Francois Marie Banier about Johnny

cussot

Unread postby cussot » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:38 pm

Johnny's involvement, as well as the rest of the cast, are fairly new revelations for this movie.

Sorry, I was just feeling a bit bad-tempered about the project itself. I confess I'm not an Agatha Christie fan and there's already a star-studded movie version.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:49 pm

cussot wrote:

Sorry, I was just feeling a bit bad-tempered about the project itself. I confess I'm not an Agatha Christie fan and there's already a star-studded movie version.

:cool: I misunderstood.

I enjoy the Christie films, so I'm a bit excited about this one. I liked the 70s version, but doing a reboot 40 years later isn't too bad. As I understand it, Hollywood is rebooting several of Christie's works.

emma

Unread postby emma » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:36 am

Deadline

Josh Gad Boards Fox’s ‘Murder On The Orient Express’

by Patrick Hipes
October 20, 2016 3:27pm

Josh Gad is joining the cast of Murder On The Orient Express, the 20th Century Fox remake of the Agatha Christie classic that is being directed by Kenneth Branagh. Gad joins a killer cast that includes Johnny Depp, Daisy Ridley, Michelle Pfeiffer, Judi Dench, Michael Pena and Branagh as famed detective Hercule Poirot. The pic is aiming to begin production in November.

Gad will play Hector McQueen, the role Anthony Perkins portrayed in the Sidney Lumet’s 1974 movie adaptation. McQueen is a nervous, skittish man who drinks too much but is gifted with languages and works as an assistant/translator to Ratchett (Depp). Blade Runner 2 scribe Michael Green adapted from Christie’s novel.

Ridley Scott, Simon Kinberg, Mark Gordon and Branagh are producing along with Michael Schaefer, Aditya Sood and Judy Hofflund. Agatha Christie Ltd’s James Prichard and Hilary Strong are executive producing, and Steve Asbell overseeing for Fox.

Gad is repped by WME, Lighthouse and attorney PJ Shapiro.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:41 am

:thanks!: emma!

emma

Unread postby emma » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:28 am

The Hollywood Reporter

Actor Marwan Kenzari Joins Johnny Depp in 'Murder on the Orient Express' (Exclusive)

10:29 AM PDT 10/27/2016 by Borys Kit

The actor, who appeared in MGM's Ben-Hur and had a role in Universal's The Mummy, has joined the all-star cast of 20th Century Fox's Murder on the Orient Express.

Kenneth Branagh, Michelle Pfeiffer, Daisy Ridley, Johnny Depp, Michael Pena, Josh Gad, Leslie Odom Jr. and Judi Dench are among those taking a ride on the Orient Express, with Branagh also directing.

The story centers on a murder onboard the famous train and introduces Belgian detective Hercule Poirot (Branagh), who must solve the case while being surrounded by duplicitous passengers.

Kenzari will play the French conductor of the train.

The actor stars opposite Noomi Rapace and Glenn Close in What Happened to Monday, which will air on Netflix, and appears with Christian Bale and Oscar Isaac in Terry George's The Promise, which premiered in Toronto.

He is repped by ICM Partners and Janey van Ierland at Nummer19 Films in Holland.

emma

Unread postby emma » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:43 pm

Deadline.com

Penelope Cruz Joins ‘Murder On The Orient Express’
by Anita Busch
and Mike Fleming Jr
November 11, 2016 10:56am

EXCLUSIVE: Penelope Cruz is boarding Murder on the Orient Express with a growing and powerful ensemble cast that now includes Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer, Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, Judi Dench and Josh Gad along with Kenneth Branagh who is starring as detective Hercule Poirot and also helming the film.

Based on the beloved 1934 Agatha Christie novel, the mystery begins after an American businessman is murdered aboard the train and the investigator tries to solve the murder, finding out eventually that 13 people all had something to do with the murder victim.

Branagh will produce with Ridley Scott, Simon Kinberg and Mark Gordon. Michael Schaefer and Aditya Sood are also expected to have a producing credit. James Prichard, the author’s great grandson and chairman of Agatha Christie Ltd., and Hilary Strong, CEO at Agatha Christie Ltd., will executive produce.

Cruz is currently shooting Escobar with husband Javier Bardem in the movie that examines the love affair between the drug lord Pablo Escobar and Colombian journalist Virginia Vallejo. She is repped by CAA, Untitled Entertainment and Kuranda Management.

meeps

Unread postby meeps » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:52 am

I do hope this is true :truefan:

Penelope Cruz Has Joined Murder On The Orient Express
BY ADAM HOLMES

Murder on the Orient Express is one of the most famous mystery tales of the 20th century, making it ripe for a cinematic adaptation back in 1974 that starred Albert Finney, Sean Connery and Vanessa Redgrave among others. Over 40 years after that movie's release, Hollywood is gearing up to remake the story for release in 2017. The new Murder on the Orient Express already has an immense cast assembled, and the lineup just grew bigger with the addition of Academy Award-winning actress Penelope Cruz.

Cruz is the latest actor to join Murder on the Orient Express, although Deadline didn't provide any information about who she will play. This will be her latest high profile movie, with her more recent appearances on the big screen including Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, The Brothers Grimsby and Zoolander No. 2. Cruz joins a cast that includes Kenneth Branagh (who is also directing the movie), Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer, Dame Judi Dench, Daisy Ridley, Josh Gad and Michael Pena, to name a few.

Although the report didn't say which character Penelope Cruz will play in Murder on the Orient Express, there are two major candidates left over who haven't been accounted for in the cast, and like the majority of the story's players, they're both murder suspects. The first is Hildegarde Schmidt, the maid to the wealthy Princess Dragomiroff. The second character is Greta Ohlsson, a Swedish missionary. Since the remake is making changes with some of the characters' ethnicities and backgrounds, it stands to reason that one of the women mentioned could be adjusted to fit Cruz. That said, since Michael Pena has been cast as Marquez, a character who didn't appear in the original story, there's always the possibility that Cruz is also playing someone brand new.

Based on the Agatha Christie-penned novel released in 1934, Murder on the Orient Express will follow the detective Hercule Poirot, arguably Christie's greatest creation. While stuck on a train that's been delayed due to unfortunate weather, Poirot must solve the murder of one of his fellow passengers. Accomplishing this is easier said then done, though, as not only is he without certain resources because of being on a stranded train, but all of his fellow passengers in the coach are suspects. Using his intellect and deductive reasoning, he'll soon pieces together the real identity of the deceased and how the other passengers are connected to the man. Although this remake is only the second time Murder on the Orient Express is being told on the big screen, it's not the most recent adaptation of the story, as the TV series Agatha Christie's Poirot tackled the tale in 2010.

Murder on the Orient Express is expected to hit theaters on November 22, 2017.

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:12 pm

emma wrote:Cruz is currently shooting Escobar with husband Javier Bardem in the movie that examines the love affair between the drug lord Pablo Escobar and Colombian journalist Virginia Vallejo.

She should be getting pretty good at pretending to be in relationships with cocaine kingpins...
Kind of hope they don't make her a love interest for Johnny's character though :-O
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"I've got a lot of Barbies in storage..."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

Return to “News & Views”