MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS Updates

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
emma

MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS Updates

Unread postby emma » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:48 pm

Johnny Depp & Michelle Pfeiffer Reportedly Eyed For Kenneth Branagh’s ‘Murder On The Orient Express’

Kevin Jagernauth
September 28, 2016 10:50 am

With a release date just over a year from now, the clock is ticking on Kenneth Branagh‘s “Murder On The Orient Express,” and at the moment he has everything in place except for one major thing: a cast. Previously set to star Angelina Jolie, the actress dropped out of the project over the summer, and while Charlize Theron was eyed as a possible replacement, not much has been heard about that. However, a couple more names have surfaced as possible additions to what’s expected to be a star-studded ensemble.

THR reveals that Johnny Depp and Michelle Pfeiffer (who previously starred together in Tim Burton‘s “Dark Shadows“) are “names of interest” for ‘Express,’ although they are not officially attached at the moment. It would be Branagh’s first time working with either star, but they would certainly bring some shine to his film (and it seems Depp’s career is having no ill effects from the charges of domestic abuse that came up earlier this year). * Edited to read:(and it seems Depp’s career is having no ill effects from the allegations of domestic abuse that came up earlier this year). And as for the reason why we need a new ‘Express’ (and “Witness For The Prosecution,” with Ben Affleck directing and starring) considering there’s already Sidney Lumet‘s acclaimed 1974 version, Hilary Strong, CEO of Agatha Christie Limited, says contemporary audiences won’t look them up.

“One of the criticisms that I keep getting levied at me is that [the previous film adaptations] were so amazing. ‘How can you remake ‘Murder on the Orient Express’?’ ” she told THR. “They’re iconic films, but they are of their time, and there is a new cinema audience that won’t watch films that were made in 1957 or 1974, and we want them to hear her stories.”

I certainly hope that’s not the case, and I always want to give movie watchers more credit, but for every cinephile eager to do a deep dive, there are probably a few more who just want to watch what’s new.

“Murder On The Orient Express” opens on November 22, 2017.

Last edited by Joni on Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gilbert's Girl

Johnny Depp & Michelle Pfeiffer Reportedly Eyed For Kenneth Branagh’s ‘Murder On The Orient Express’

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:19 pm

The 1974 version is often on UK tv not sure we do need another. Not sure even a new younger audience would watch it would they. It is the sort of film that has room for an all star cast, but these days most directors would be unable to populate their films with that sort of cast.

tocnavforjd

Unread postby tocnavforjd » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:23 pm

Would be nice if this came to be but I greatly object to the phrase "charges of domestic abuse". They weren't charges, they were accusations made in the process of a divorce....from a narcissistic, hateful woman!
"This is exactly what makes the two sides of your personality. You do not know what you want to be in life, dramatic actor, or crazy person"---J.Depp

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:07 pm

tocnavforjd wrote:Would be nice if this came to be but I greatly object to the phrase "charges of domestic abuse". They weren't charges, they were accusations made in the process of a divorce....from a narcissistic, hateful woman!

I also object to his wording. I sent him an email suggesting a correction is in order.
Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
~Euripides

ibbi 3

Unread postby ibbi 3 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:43 pm

Joni wrote:
tocnavforjd wrote:Would be nice if this came to be but I greatly object to the phrase "charges of domestic abuse". They weren't charges, they were accusations made in the process of a divorce....from a narcissistic, hateful woman!

I also object to his wording. I sent him an email suggesting a correction is in order.

:ok:
Joel:"That's the movies, Ed. Try reality." Ed:"No thanks." Northern Exposure

sofia

Unread postby sofia » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:17 pm

Joni wrote:

Thanks Joni.
He already corrected this for "allegations"

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:25 pm

sofia wrote:
Joni wrote:

Thanks Joni.
He already corrected this for "allegations"

That's very good. I added the correction to the text above.
Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
~Euripides

meeps

Unread postby meeps » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:42 am

I would love to see that movie and with Johnny, Pfeiffer and Branagh involved :loveshower:
Yes, it has been done before - even more than once, I believe - and done very well. But I would love a take on the story, which concentrated on the psychology of the different characters and made in a way, so we forget all about the stars playing the roles and dive into the tale instead.
I wonder though - is Johnny intended to play Hercule Poirot? And will he be a good Poirot if he is?

Sweeney Todd

Unread postby Sweeney Todd » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:05 am

Can we please stop using "The Playlist" as a source? Ugh. Every other article I read about this does not mention anything relating to Johnny's personal life.
:sweeneydepp: Never forget. Never forgive. :sweeneydepp:

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:41 am

meeps wrote:I would love to see that movie and with Johnny, Pfeiffer and Branagh involved :loveshower:
Yes, it has been done before - even more than once, I believe - and done very well. But I would love a take on the story, which concentrated on the psychology of the different characters and made in a way, so we forget all about the stars playing the roles and dive into the tale instead.
I wonder though - is Johnny intended to play Hercule Poirot? And will he be a good Poirot if he is?

Branagh would likely play Poirot...he is slated to direct and star in the movie. Everyone else is speculation right now.

The Hollywood Reporter

'Murder on the Orient Express' Adding Tom Bateman (Exclusive)

Kenneth Branagh is directing and starring in the adaptation of Agatha Christie's classic story.
British actor Tom Bateman is in negotiations to join Fox's adaptation of Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express.

Kenneth Branagh is directing the mystery ensemble film, which has Hamilton star Leslie Odom Jr. attached.

The classic Christie story centers on special detective Hercule Poirot (Branagh), who boards a train from Jerusalem to Europe only to have a murder committed in the car next to his during a snowstorm. Poirot tries to discover the murderer or murderers before there's another victim.

Bateman will play Bouc, Poirot's companion and sidekick, who works at the train company that runs the Orient Express.

The Fox film, set for release on Nov. 22, 2017, is being produced by Branagh, Ridley Scott, Simon Kinberg and Mark Gordon. Aditya Sood and Michael Schaefer are executive producing.

Bateman, who next will be seen in the untitled Amy Schumer comedy that Jonathan Levine is directing, had previously worked with Branagh on The Winter's Tale alongside Judi Dench on the West End in London, and so the director brought him in for Murder on the Orient Express. Bateman also previously starred on the British series Jekyll & Hyde. He is repped by CAA, United Agents in the U.K. and attorney Patti Felker.

meeps

Unread postby meeps » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:53 am

Yes, Branagh will probably be a better Poirot. I just hope then, that Johnny doesn't have to play the American millionaire murder victim, so we only get to see him a bit at the start of the story :)

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:46 pm

Sorry Meeps!

Branagh is doing double duty by also starring as detective Hercule Poirot and leads a cast that includes Johnny Depp, who will play Ratchett, the man who is murdered...

Michelle Pfeiffer, Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, Judy Dench Board 'Murder on the Orient Express' (Exclusive)

Kenneth Branagh is starring in and directing the adaptation of Agatha Christie's classic tale.
Michelle Pfeiffer, Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena and Judi Dench have a ticket on Fox’s Murder on the Orient Express.

The studio has enlisted a cavalcade of A-listers for its ensemble adaptation of Agatha Christie’s acclaimed mystery novel that is being directed by Kenneth Branagh.

The classic murder mystery centers around a murder onboard the famous train, and introduces Belgian detective Hercule Poirot who must solve the case while being surrounded by duplicitous passengers.

Branagh is doing double duty by also starring as detective Hercule Poirot and leads a cast that includes Johnny Depp, who will play Ratchett, the man who is murdered, Hamilton star Leslie Odom Jr., who is playing Doctor Arbuthnot, and Tom Bateman, who will play the Frenchman Bouc. Also in the cast are Lucy Boynton and Derek Jacobi.

Pfeiffer will play Mrs. Hubbard, a glamorous and opinionated passenger with a secret.

Ridley will play Mary Debenham, a working class woman in love with Arbuthnot.

Dench will play Princess Dragomiroff, who hails from Russian royalty while Pena plays a Cuban passenger named Marquez.

"Christie's Murder is mysterious, compelling and unsettling," said Branagh. "I'm honored to have this fantastic group of actors bring these dark materials to life for a new audience."

Ridley Scott, Simon Kinberg, Mark Gordon and Branagh are producing the movie, which begins production in London in November. Michael Schaefer, Aditya Sood and Judy Hofflund will also produce.

Michael Green (Blade Runner sequel) wrote the script. Steve Asbell is overseeing for Fox.

"It is always thrilling for us to see the stellar casting that Agatha Christie film adaptations attract," said James Prichard of Agatha Christie Ltd., who is executive producing with Hilary Strong.

Pfeiffer, most recently seen in The Family and People Like Us, is repped by CAA, Management 360 and Hirsch Wallerstein.

Ridley, the star of J.J. Abrams’ Star Wars: The Force Awakens, has been quickly building up her projects. Along with Star Wars: Episode VIII, she’s attached to YA adaptation Chaos Walking, Fox Searchlight’s Peter Rabbit and indie The Lost Wife. She’s repped by CAA and Sloane, Offer.

Pena will next be seen in the new CHiPs film with Dax Shepard, and Collateral Beauty with Will Smith. He’s repped by CAA, Management 360 and Stone, Genow.

Dench appears in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, which opens this weekend. She’s repped by Parseghian Planco and Julian Belfrage Associates in the UK.

Last edited by SnoopyDances on Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:47 pm

Johnny Depp in Talks to Star in 'Murder on the Orient Express'

Kenneth Branagh is directing and starring in the adaptation of the Agatha Christie classic.
Kenneth Branagh's star-studded adaptation of Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express is coming together with a big name: Johnny Depp.

Depp is in talks to star, along with Branagh, who is directing. Hamilton star Leslie Odom Jr. also is attached.

The classic Christie story centers on special detective Hercule Poirot (Branagh), who boards a train from Jerusalem to Europe only to have a murder committed in the car next to his during a snowstorm. Poirot tries to discover the murderer or murderers before there's another victim.

The Fox film, set for release on Nov. 22, 2017, is being produced by Branagh, Ridley Scott, Simon Kinberg and Mark Gordon. Aditya Sood and Michael Schaefer are executive producing.

Depp was most recently seen in Black Mass and Alice Through the Looking Glass. He's repped by UTA.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:53 pm

Another source:

Johnny Depp To Star in ‘Murder On The Orient Express’ At Fox

UPDATE: Studio has announced that Michelle Pfeiffer, Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena and Judi Dench will join the picture in supporting roles. Studio’s release is included under Deadline’s original scoop on Johnny Depp.

EXCLUSIVE: Johnny Depp is in talks to star for director Kenneth Branagh in the Murder On The Orient Express remake. This comes after Angelina Jolie stepped out. The pic is moving fast: Depp will star with Branagh, who’ll play detective Hercule Poirot in a script that Blade Runner 2 scribe Michael Green adapted from Agatha Christie’s novel. Steve Asbell overseeing the production for Fox.

The film is based on one of Christie’s best-known books. First published in 1934, the novel tells of the intrigue that begins after an American businessman is murdered aboard the famed train. Poirot tries to unravel the whodunit. Branagh will produce with Ridley Scott, Simon Kinberg and Mark Gordon. Michael Schaefer and Aditya Sood will also produce in some capacity. James Prichard, the author’s great grandson and chairman of Agatha Christie Ltd., and Hilary Strong, CEO at Agatha Christie Ltd., will executive produce.

UTA reps Depp.

An all-star cast, led by Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer and Daisy Ridley, is joining director Kenneth Branagh on 20th Century Fox’s new feature film adaptation of Agatha Christie’s acclaimed mystery Murder on the Orient Express, it was announced today by TCF president Emma Watts.

In addition to directing the film, Branagh, a five-time Academy Award®-nominee, will star as detective Hercule Poirot. Depp portrays Ratchett; Pfeiffer is Mrs. Hubbard and Ridley plays Mary Debenham.

Oscar winner Judi Dench portrays Princess Dragomiroff, while Lucy Boynton is Countess Andrenyi. Tom Bateman plays Bouc, acclaimed stage actor and Tony winner Derek Jacobi portrays Masterman, Michael Peņa is Marquez, and Hamilton star Leslie Odom Jr. plays Doctor Arbuthnot. The ensemble is nearly complete, but there are still a few key roles left to cast.

Murder on the Orient Express begins production in November, in London.

Commented Kenneth Branagh: “Christie’s ‘Murder’ is mysterious, compelling and unsettling. I’m honoured to have this fantastic group of actors bring these dark materials to life for a new audience”.

Ridley Scott (The Martian), Simon Kinberg (The Martian, X-Men: Days of Future Past), Mark Gordon (Steve Jobs) and Branagh will produce the film. Michael Schaefer, Aditya Sood and Judy Hofflund will also produce. Michael Green (Blade Runner 2) wrote the screenplay, with Steve Asbell overseeing the production for Fox.

Agatha Christie’s novel, published in 1934, is considered one of the most ingenious stories ever devised. It revolves around a murder onboard the famous train, and Belgian detective Hercule Poirot must solve the case – but there are a number of passengers who could potentially be the murderer.

James Prichard and Hilary Strong, both of Agatha Christie Ltd., will executive produce.

Prichard commented: “It is always thrilling for us to see the stellar casting that Agatha Christie film adaptations attract. It is fantastic to have Kenneth Branagh at the helm of this new adaptation of Murder On The Orient Express and we are extremely excited about the cast he is bringing aboard”

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:14 pm

Well I can certainly see Judi Dench in that part, I'm sure she will have alot of fun with the character. Lauren Bacall played Mrs Hubbard in the 1974 version that Michelle Pfifer will play, and Ratchett was played by Richard Widmark. As to how much screen time Johnny would get may depend on the way the film unfolds, as alot of flashbacks were used in the previous versions

Return to “News & Views”