LABYRINTH Updates

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
jruoss

LABYRINTH Updates

Unread postby jruoss » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:32 pm

emma wrote:
Brian B.Hen Henry
29 January at 01:43 ·

Grateful to pay homage to these legends on the turntables. Word to #ForrestWhitaker! Stay tuned - this film is on the way

Curious what this guy played to "pay homage to these legends"...
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"I've got a lot of Barbies in storage..."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

Lbock

LABYRINTH Updates

Unread postby Lbock » Fri May 12, 2017 11:25 am

USA Network is going to run a TV series on Tupac unsolved murder. I wonder if this will help or hurt Johnny's movie. Will it create more interest or over saturation,

What do you think?

Lbock

LABYRINTH Updates

Unread postby Lbock » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:30 pm

https://youtu.be/sVq9FwAhe-w

You tube audio conversation. Said could be Johnnys finest performance

Sweeney Todd

LABYRINTH Updates

Unread postby Sweeney Todd » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:01 pm

I hope that's not true about it being released in the first quarter of 2018, especially if it's a really good performance from Johnny. After the Black Mass snub it would be sad to see another Oscar-worthy performance goes unrecognized.
:sweeneydepp: Never forget. Never forgive. :sweeneydepp:

jruoss

LABYRINTH Updates

Unread postby jruoss » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:50 pm

Lbock wrote:https://youtu.be/sVq9FwAhe-w

Kind of ballsy of Sullivan to tell Johnny face to face that he didn't know if Johnny could underplay the part enough. I guess I could understand his concern if there's nothing about Poole that immediately sets him apart. Johnny is quite adept at playing characters who are extreme in some way, but he hasn't done "understated" all that much. On the other hand, given that there's probably a decent amount of audio and maybe video of Poole, I wouldn't dare doubt Johnny's ability to do a reasonable portrayal of the guy...
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

LABYRINTH Updates

Unread postby Joni » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:06 pm

jruoss wrote:

Kind of ballsy of Sullivan to tell Johnny face to face that he didn't know if Johnny could underplay the part enough. I guess I could understand his concern if there's nothing about Poole that immediately sets him apart. Johnny is quite adept at playing characters who are extreme in some way,but he hasn't done "understated" all that much. On the other hand, given that there's probably a decent amount of audio and maybe video of Poole, I wouldn't dare doubt Johnny's ability to do a reasonable portrayal of the guy...

Your comment got me thinking jruoss!

I don't want to take this thread off topic, but just wanted to say that I think Johnny's performance in The Man Who Cried was nicely understated, as well as those in Edward Scissorhands, Donnie Brasco, Dead Man, The Brave and Whats Eating Gilbert Grape. There are probably more (Finding Neverland, Chocolat).
Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
~Euripides

nebraska

LABYRINTH Updates

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:49 pm

jruoss wrote:

Kind of ballsy of Sullivan to tell Johnny face to face that he didn't know if Johnny could underplay the part enough. I guess I could understand his concern if there's nothing about Poole that immediately sets him apart. Johnny is quite adept at playing characters who are extreme in some way, but he hasn't done "understated" all that much. On the other hand, given that there's probably a decent amount of audio and maybe video of Poole, I wouldn't dare doubt Johnny's ability to do a reasonable portrayal of the guy...

When he plays an understated character as he did in the Tourist he gets a lot of criticism. But doing that takes a lot of control.

jruoss

LABYRINTH Updates

Unread postby jruoss » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:11 pm

Almost immediately after I posted, I began thinking of roles where his character was not particularly extreme, mostly pre-FALILV, but there have been a few, Gilbert Grape, Deadman, and The Brave certainly stand out. I was forgetting about The Tourist, nothing too flashy about that guy until his true identity is revealed, but I think Poole probably required a different type of restraint than Tupelo, and probably different from most of Johnny's 90's characters. In the 90's, understated was sort of Johnny's niche, with a few loud exceptions, that was a very prevalent part of his acting persona.
The main difference here, other than Johnny's personality having grown since then, is he's playing a real life person, one who sounds somewhat more restrained than Joe Pistone. Anyway, it sounds like he did okay, I'm looking forward to the movie!

Return to “News & Views”