ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS Movie Discussion/Media Reviews/Zoner Reviews *SPOILERS*

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
tocnavforjd

Re: ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS Movie Discussion/Media Reviews/Zoner Reviews *SPOILERS*

Unread postby tocnavforjd » Thu May 26, 2016 10:17 pm

Just got back from my first viewing - magical movie! It was very fast paced and colorful and a really great tie-in to the first film. The characters, especially the Hatter, were much more vivid. That took some getting used to. Loved the character of Time. The tea party was very funny. Overall though I come away feeling very sad because the main message of the film was the importance of family and belonging to a family and Johnny's current situation is just heartbreaking. His scenes with Mia were so sweet and he does this kind of character so well. You can feel what he is feeling so strongly. I know I will come to love this movie but right at this moment it is just so sad in context with what is happening in Johnny's real life.

I really liked how they did the dedication of the movie to Rickman - it was really nicely done. My viewing showed the whole music video of Pink prior to the movie - that was really nice. The theater was not quite half full - not surprising though as this was the first show the night prior to the actual opening day. Those in the theater were very into the movie throughout - even a group of talkers next to me shut up as the movie progressed. I saw the 3D version - great experience. I'm going again on Saturday with a friend. There is a lot to take in so I'm looking forward to seeing what I missed this time along.
"This is exactly what makes the two sides of your personality. You do not know what you want to be in life, dramatic actor, or crazy person"---J.Depp

SnoopyDances

Re: ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS Movie Discussion/Media Reviews/Zoner Reviews *SPOILERS*

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu May 26, 2016 10:47 pm

tocnavforjd wrote:Just got back from my first viewing - magical movie! It was very fast paced and colorful and a really great tie-in to the first film. The characters, especially the Hatter, were much more vivid. That took some getting used to. Loved the character of Time. The tea party was very funny. Overall though I come away feeling very sad because the main message of the film was the importance of family and belonging to a family and Johnny's current situation is just heartbreaking. His scenes with Mia were so sweet and he does this kind of character so well. You can feel what he is feeling so strongly. I know I will come to love this movie but right at this moment it is just so sad in context with what is happening in Johnny's real life.

I really liked how they did the dedication of the movie to Rickman - it was really nicely done. My viewing showed the whole music video of Pink prior to the movie - that was really nice. The theater was not quite half full - not surprising though as this was the first show the night prior to the actual opening day. Those in the theater were very into the movie throughout - even a group of talkers next to me shut up as the movie progressed. I saw the 3D version - great experience. I'm going again on Saturday with a friend. There is a lot to take in so I'm looking forward to seeing what I missed this time along.

:thanks!: Glad you enjoyed it. I'm going this weekend.
Can't wait.

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Thu May 26, 2016 11:26 pm

Nice review, thanks tocnavforjd! And thanks for mentioning how much you enjoyed it in 3D. I've been waffling over seeing the movie in 3D Imax, 3D, or the regular old ordinary showing. So I've narrowed it down to two choices! :spin:
Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
~Euripides

marija

Unread postby marija » Fri May 27, 2016 12:27 am

:signhi: I would like to tell that I watched AIW Through The Looking Glass for my first time. I agree at all what tocnavforjd wrote befor...especially at the point about the sadness which comes from the similarities to Johnnys real life.
It's a very lovely movie with brilliant performances of everyone...have two another appointments to go to the cinema with my daughters and friends. :heartflower:
...it's not easy, to be different..."

magpie

Unread postby magpie » Fri May 27, 2016 12:32 pm

I saw the movie last night in 3D. I didn't think it added much to the first movie, but was done more effectively in this one.

I really enjoyed the movie, and seeing my favorite characters again. I think my favorite scene was where the Hatter becomes himself again. I know we always talk about Johnny's facial expressions, and I loved watching during that scene.

I liked the way the storylines were resolved, and I'm glad Alice's mother found her 'muchness' too!
I'm having a thought here. . . .
. . if you simply try to tell the truth you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it.
--C.S. Lewis

DebbieJCDFan

Unread postby DebbieJCDFan » Sat May 28, 2016 4:30 am

Sadly, there are people calling for a boycott of the movie to show support of Amber because they're convinced (although I'm not) that Johnny is guilty of all of the abuse charges.
What a misguided idea! What a terrible injustice to everyone who worked on this movie! :soapbox: :twocents:
I look forward to seeing the movie multiple times! :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Wait for the Opportune Moment!
DebbieJCDFan

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun May 29, 2016 4:58 pm

I went to a 12:05 (noon) viewing today. The theater was almost empty, but the parking lot wasn't very full, either, so maybe not many folks were going to the cinema in the middle of a holiday weekend.

The movie is visually amazing. The 3D is so much nicer than in the first one, not distracting at all, and some of the scenes, like the hanging watches that represent the living in Underland, are breathtakingly beautiful! There are some great special effects, for instance the clockworks in Time's brain. This is one of those movies a person would need to watch numerous times to see all the details. All of this is good news because the plot is terrible, and all this whipping around from time period to time period -- now, before, now again, before before -- is confusing.

It was fun to see Bayard and the rabbits and the mouse again along with the Tweedles and Humpty. They are delightful and they add so much joy to the film. I liked the more mature Alice. But many of the other returning characters were not as enjoyable as the first time -- did I read somewhere that they were less vibrantly colored because this showed their early life when events had not made them so strongly who they became? The Red Queen seems like a shadow of her nasty self and the White Queen was only half as nice. The Hatter, too, was much less interesting as a sane man. The Hatter's sadness was palpable, possibly because I was watching with recent events on my mind.

Sacha Baron Cohen was outstanding! He may just have stolen the whole movie.

I would like to see the movie in the cinema again, maybe not in 3D the next time just to compare.

bringmethathorizon

Unread postby bringmethathorizon » Sun May 29, 2016 5:22 pm

I went big yesterday and saw Alice in IMAX 3D, loved it, felt like I was in the movie, visually spectacular! I really loved the movie, I loved seeing all the characters again and Alice going through the looking glass instead of the rabbit hole, fantastic. The story line is so touching, I teared up a few times with the scenes of Hatter and Alice are so genuine. With all the superhero movies out there now, to me Alice is a true hero/heroine and such a positive influence for young women, as is Alice's mom. I will not read any reviews from critics regarding this movie as I have a wonderful review and feeling about it myself. With all that is going on with Johnny now, I think the story line really got to me and touched me so deeply. I am going to see it again tomorrow in just a regular viewing, no 3D. I did also love the tea party when Time showed up, cracked me up. A must see multiple times.
"This is the one I'll be remembered for"
Edward D. Wood, Jr.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Mon May 30, 2016 10:55 pm

Just saw Alice this afternoon, at the 4 p.m. IMAX showing.
I must say....not very many people at the cinema in general. I went to a 20-screen megaplex that was half X-Men (really--10 screens!) and half other movies, including Alice. I think Alice was in three or 4 screens...2D, 3D, and IMAX. Even when I left about 6:30, there weren't many people for the later showings of any of the movies. Could be people were winding down after the holiday weekend or went out of town and were traveling back. There were only about 6 or 7 of us in the IMAX screening.

But I enjoyed the movie....very different from the darker Tim Burton movie, this one did have more of a "Disney" feel-good appeal. More live action and real people as opposed to the animated characters. And a very different-looking Underland...more realistic villages and town squares and such. Not as much forestry and wonder.

The visual effects were extremely good, though I don't think the IMAX part made much of a difference. Only one scene where she is sailing the ship did I feel it coming off the screen toward me with the waves crashing. Otherwise, the 3D and IMAX effects didn't impress or distract. Visually, the animated characters were much clearer but had less of an animated look about them. I think this is the same guy that directed The Muppets movies...so it felt kind of like that.

The story was very familiar...sort of a Disney does Back to the Future. The scene between the Hatter and Time is way too short and uninteresting. After listening to them in interviews, I was hoping to see more of the spontaneous banter between the two. Maybe that will be on the DVD extras. :hope: Otherwise, there wasn't much interaction between the two characters in the film. :-/

Sasha, Mia, and Helena were very good. The Hatter was a bit wasted, though, but I guess he lost his muchness grieving for his family. And I never quite understood the White Queen's role, either in the first movie or this one. She just kind of floats in and out.

There is definitely a theme of family togetherness and time marching on, so make the most of it. Not a bad way to spend less than two hours. All of the families (Hatter, Alice, and the queens) needed to settle some issues and realized how much they need and love each other.

Sadly, not enough of Alan Rickman's magnificent voice, though. The film does have a dedication to him at the end. :namaste:

And Pink's new song, Just Like Fire, played during the closing credits, but they never used White Rabbit. I guess that was just for the trailer. I think that song would've been better suited for the first, darker movie and not the happy Disney movie. :cool:

flo116

Unread postby flo116 » Tue May 31, 2016 9:54 am

"And Pink's new song, Just Like Fire, played during the closing credits, but they never used White Rabbit."
Oh shoot, I was hoping that White Rabbit would be used in the movie. :sad:
I haven't seen the film yet, this week. Thanks everyone for your reviews. :rosegirl:
"What interested me was that he has so many faces" "But each one is completely pure & innocent" Francois Marie Banier about Johnny

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:16 am

Has anyone else seen the movie yet? :popcorn:
What did you think? :press:

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:14 am

I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it. Sasha was fantastically good as Time (though he reminded me of my least favorite tennis player, Djokovic), Mia was a wonderful heroine and it was good to see a fearless woman as the lead. The visuals were stunning even though I saw it in regular, non-IMAX, non-3d film.
Only 14 people in the theater, half of them small children under 8 or 9, during the day. I found the theme of time passing and death depressing, although a lot of the dialog (tea party) was amusing, and I think the back stories with father issues need to end. Also did not understand why it was necessary to transport Alice back to London mid-adventure.
I felt like the Hatter was the least successful character. Part of his charm is that he is wise and sly despite his foolishness; here he was dependent and weak. But Johnny's bone structure rocks; it was highlighted by the make-up, and I'm happy to see anything he creates.
The previews were all for kids movies, and there was a short welcome from the director, thanking us for coming to see the movie. Never seen that before, but I don't go to many movies in the theatre. Only Johnny's.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

Anne

Unread postby Anne » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:36 am

My husband and I saw it yesterday and loved it. The film was beautiful, and Johnny once again got lost in his character. I'm sure he really enjoyed being the Hatter and getting to wear that crazy makeup!

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:39 am

stroch wrote:I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it. Sasha was fantastically good as Time (though he reminded me of my least favorite tennis player, Djokovic), Mia was a wonderful heroine and it was good to see a fearless woman as the lead. The visuals were stunning even though I saw it in regular, non-IMAX, non-3d film.
Only 14 people in the theater, half of them small children under 8 or 9, during the day. I found the theme of time passing and death depressing, although a lot of the dialog (tea party) was amusing, and I think the back stories with father issues need to end. Also did not understand why it was necessary to transport Alice back to London mid-adventure.
I felt like the Hatter was the least successful character. Part of his charm is that he is wise and sly despite his foolishness; here he was dependent and weak. But Johnny's bone structure rocks; it was highlighted by the make-up, and I'm happy to see anything he creates.
The previews were all for kids movies, and there was a short welcome from the director, thanking us for coming to see the movie. Never seen that before, but I don't go to many movies in the theatre. Only Johnny's.

Interesting. I didn't see that at the screening I went to.

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:52 am

nebraska wrote:The movie is visually amazing. This is one of those movies a person would need to watch numerous times to see all the details. All of this is good news because the plot is terrible, and all this whipping around from time period to time period -- now, before, now again, before before -- is confusing.

many of the other returning characters were not as enjoyable as the first time -- did I read somewhere that they were less vibrantly colored because this showed their early life when events had not made them so strongly who they became? The Red Queen seems like a shadow of her nasty self and the White Queen was only half as nice. The Hatter, too, was much less interesting as a sane man. The Hatter's sadness was palpable, possibly because I was watching with recent events on my mind.
Sacha Baron Cohen was outstanding! He may just have stolen the whole movie.

SnoopyDances wrote: The scene between the Hatter and Time is way too short and uninteresting. After listening to them in interviews, I was hoping to see more of the spontaneous banter between the two. Maybe that will be on the DVD extras. :hope: Otherwise, there wasn't much interaction between the two characters in the film. :-/

The Hatter was a bit wasted, though, but I guess he lost his muchness grieving for his family.
Sadly, not enough of Alan Rickman's magnificent voice, though.

Saw it 3D on Tuesday night. Much of my initial impressions are echoed in the above quotes. I thought the first half was especially full of breath taking scenes, which the 3D only intensified. The Hatter has some interesting moments, I like his line near the end about a "garden of dreams", and the scene where he goes all white and "evil" for a second was a surprise.
Some of the trailers led me to imagine things about the story that weren't in it. I thought there'd be more of a union between the Red Queen and Time for example, and I don't even remember what else. There was much I liked about the movie, but it maybe wasn't quite as great as I was hoping. I remember Bobin talking about incorporating some kind of Ruins, but I didn't really notice that. Id like to see it at least once more while it's out. (Just some impressions, not any sort of thorough review.)
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"I've got a lot of Barbies in storage..."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

Return to “News & Views”