ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS Movie Discussion/Media Reviews/Zoner Reviews *SPOILERS*

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
shaman-art

Re: ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS Movie Discussion/Media Reviews/Zoner Reviews *SPOILERS*

Unread postby shaman-art » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:56 am

Two days ago I finally managed to watch "Through the Looking Glass". My expectations weren't very high because the first one isn't really my favorite JD-movie. It was too much of everything: colors, make-up. I like the new one much better. Here and there it's like a mixture of Metropolis, Modern Times,Transformers and Disney's version of Back to the Future. While for the first one 3D didn't do much, it worked pretty well for this one. Usually I forget that I'm watching a 3D movie within 10 minutes, but this time I enjoyed it throughout the whole movie. Could I please have one of those little oilcans? They are sweet!

jruoss

Re: ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS Movie Discussion/Media Reviews/Zoner Reviews *SPOILERS*

Unread postby jruoss » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:52 am

To add to my previous post, as a few things came back to me...
As to the plot, I guess I found it annoying how everything led to everyone reconciling with someone else... the Red and White Queen's relationship should remain an enigma of polar opposites imo. Instead the movie spent a lot of time undoing that enigma. Between that and the Hatter's family thing, and then Time and Alice, and the Hatter and Alice, Alice and her mother, it seemed like the last 25 minutes of the movie was an extended barrage of apologizing, forgiving, and "you're not so bad".
And the chromosphere travel began to get a little monotonous, the places they went to not as visually interesting as what is seen earlier in the movie. It also seemed like there was a marked difference in the way both Hatter and Red Queen spoke in this movie compared to first, sort of for the worse I thought. It's sort of a strange role for the character of the Hatter in this movie. But who knows what Bobin left on the cutting room floor. For all the hype that Sacha and Johnny's scene got, it seemed like barely any of the improv was included. I did notice going back to watch that Tea and Time clip that Johnny gives Sacha this sort of strange expectant look after the Door Mouse or someone cracks a time joke, that I hadn't caught in the theater.
I guess maybe I'd have been happier if the plot hadn't been so focused on family reunions and such. I though the first half or so of the movie was a brilliant set up for all kinds of things to happen. I love the new perspectives of Underland, and the Hatter's house is a great addition to the world. And there's this mystery as to why he's acting so unusual. Anything could have happened from there. That being said, it was kind of interesting to see the Hatter in new moods and modes (wish he wouldn't have been in that safari hat for so long.)
Bobin did say during the junket that most of Johnny and Sacha's improv scene would be on the dvd extras, hopefully along with some other goodies.
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"I've got a lot of Barbies in storage..."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:51 pm

I went to see Alice this afternoon and was nicely surprised. I purposely avoided spoilers and preview clips (well, I did watch one or two) so had no real idea of what to expect.

I don't delve too deeply into movies, I just go to be entertained, and Alice did just that for me.

I enjoyed it much more than the first Alice movie. I liked the back stories and the travelling around in time didn't bother me at all.

I thought Johnny did a wonderful job in this more subdued version of the Hatter.

Sacha Baron Cohen was outstanding as Time! Also got a real kick out of his helpers, especially the little Second who ran around calling out tick, tick, tick all the time. :lol:

Although they weren't a big part of the story line, it was nice to see all the familiar characters back from the first movie. It wouldn't be right without them! Loved the Tea Party!

One of my favourite parts was at the end when Alice said goodbye to Time. Time said something like I'll never forget you Alice, but don't come back. :lol:
Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
~Euripides

flo116

Unread postby flo116 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:16 pm

Just returned from seeing Alice for the first time... I thought it was wonderful magical sad and beautiful. :heartflower: How could you not like it, seems to me like there was something in it for everyone even transformer fans. :biggrin:
I loved the beginning I kept thinking Captain Jack would show up. :spin: The ending was beautiful :twohearts: especially when the Hatter was talking about the importance of family,
I could go on but I won't. If you haven't seen it go.
"What interested me was that he has so many faces" "But each one is completely pure & innocent" Francois Marie Banier about Johnny

nebraska

ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS Movie Discussion/Media Reviews/Zoner Reviews *SPOILERS*

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:56 pm

I attended a 9:30 Saturday morning showing of Alice today. For movies that start before 11 AM Mon-Sat tickets are sold at a bargain price, but there weren't many cars in the parking lot. We are in the middle of a heat wave, so more people may show up in the hotter part of the day. The audience was made up of teen/preteen kids, an adult with elementary aged children, and a group of people in my age group (senior citizens).

This was my second viewing of Alice. This time I watched it in standard format. I liked the 3-D a little better but even without the 3-D it is a stunning movie -- the scenery and costumes are just beautiful! I am not a fan of mechanical characters or fire breathing dragons that roar, but I suppose most movies need some of those these days. :rolleyes: At least the robots and dragons weren't the main feature of the movie.

I liked the movie better this time because I knew what to expect and I wasn't as busy comparing this movie to the first one. It really is a charming movie, worthy of becoming a Disney classic, in my opinion. I will definitely buy the DVD when it comes out.

flo116

Unread postby flo116 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:31 am

Alice is no longer in my area :bawl: I wanted to see it again on the big screen.
It is still number 9 on Mojo's daily boxoffice but it is down to less than 500 theaters seems Johnny's movies always leave the theater so fast. :perplexed:
"What interested me was that he has so many faces" "But each one is completely pure & innocent" Francois Marie Banier about Johnny

reindeermoon

Unread postby reindeermoon » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:45 am

I have watched the movie twice and I really loved the sea of time. But the travel was for me a bit too long the second time.
The castle of the Red Queen was horrible as it should be and the vegetable people were fantastic.
I have watched the movie in German and the Little chief robot was a Swiss with a real Swiss dialect. :biggrin:
Unfortunately I cannot watch it in English, because they do not give the English version any more.
I have to wait for the DVD.

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:05 am

I don't expect anyone else is suddenly of a mind to discuss this movie again, but I just gave it my first attentive viewing since seeing it once in the theater. I appreciated it much more this Time around, as a story that is both a carefully crafted sequel and an homage to Carroll's books in its own right. The main "weakness" in the plot now seems to me not so much that the Hatter's family is still alive, but that Alice didn't give him the benefit of the doubt to begin with. He had a legitimate reason to believe so, which he explained clearly enough to Alice, complete with physical "evidence", and she just assumes he's delusional. But once you accept that that is her reaction, the rest of the story fits together rather nicely from there. The part with the younger sisters didn't seem as unnecessarily long and drawn out as it did first time through, and I noticed some things I hadn't before. When Iracebeth falls and hits her head, there are white roses on the statue, and she says "stupid roses!", a clear reference to the literary Red Queen's obsession with "painting the roses red". When Alice first gets inside the chronosphere, there's a pulley that says "Pull Me"... Anyway, my appreciation for what Bobin and Co. did with this has just taken a quantum leap. I wish I would have been more attuned to its thorough cleverness on the first go, but I'm Late, I'm late......
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"I've got a lot of Barbies in storage..."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

Return to “News & Views”