Hollywood Vampires--All the latest news

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
AdeleAgain

Re: Hollywood Vampires--All the latest news

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:22 am

Thank you SnoopyDances but I couldn't really sleep.

Right where to begin? (As an aside - fun supporting bands.) Ok he came on stage in a sort of very humble way - he was last on I think but no 'rockstar-look-at-me' swagger. Of course he got a huge reception and his way of acknowledging is just adorable. He looked amazing. Part gypsy, part pirate, part rockstar. I cannot imagine anyone else could pull that look off. He had what I think is a new jacket - a sort of tail coat (what in the UK we would call a morning suit). But it was amazing - anything but traditional. I love the hair hanging down.

Their playing is just amazing. So it's a very heavy, guitar, blues sound which I love but they can really, really play. Their musicianship and interaction is fantastic they have clearly played a lot together and speaking to a friend of mine who is a musician - part of it is that all of them play with a range of people so they are very instinctive at melding into one another's styles. It was very loud but melodic and the notes and harmonies so clear that you just felt ecstatic and happy.

He moved around the stage a lot - his crowd engagement really marks him out as something special. He literally makes eye contact with people and when he moves into a new area he waves to the crowd and of course everyone goes mad. This will sound weird but there is something about the way he does it that you think he is waving and saying hello to you. Only everyone thinks it. Lots of people who have met him say that he has a way of making you feel special and as if he is really listening to you - so imagine that same trick but with thousands of people. Alice is an amazing front man but he, Mick Jagger, Bono, others I've seen perform and engage with the crowd. It is like Johnny is connecting with each individual member of the audience rather than the whole crowd. I hope I've given the sense of that because it was the most special thing about the evening. I was really reminded of a comment Paul Bettany made once when he said that when you are with Johnny you know that there is nowhere better and no one is having more fun than you. Ok that was what it was like being there. And he did this the whole show, even though for the first few numbers there was a huge bank of photographers between the band and the audience (a smaller group of photographers didn't get ushered out and stayed the whole time).

One surprise - he didn't smoke! At least I don't think he did.

When he sang Heroes it was incredibly emotional. People were expecting it and waiting for it - it's got around now that he does it and I had texts from friends telling me that it was coming (like really? You think I didn't know?) So I thought there would be a big build up but Alice just said something about a Hero and the next thing they are playing into it and Johnny was front and centre stage singing. I nearly cried because there was a tiny, faltering moment (at least in my mind) where I thought he was overwhelmed and wouldn't get through it but he did and oh my goodness. He closed his eyes a lot of the time when singing it and it was as if he was taking us all somewhere else. Beautiful. His voice really does Bowie justice. Idiot that I am it only just occurred to me last night how much Bowie must have influenced both Johnny and Marilyn Manson.

I also loved People Who Died. I wasn't actually familiar with the song before hand but have had it on my play list since they started this tour. Try singing along - it is impossible. Although (unlike on Heroes) he didn't/couldn't enunciate every word (there are too many) - he sang it fantastically, especially the chorus. It was very upbeat. I also loved, loved, loved his singing on The Jack. Another absolute highlight was Bad As I Am. I've always like the song but live it is brilliant - like it's meant to be played on a big stage.

There was not a single moment where the energy on stage or amongst the audience dipped. Very interesting crowd - not what I was expecting. So I read the Times review from Denmark which said it was a very young crowd. I was surprised by the number of young people there who were a huge range in themselves including sort of goths, very, very sexily Johnny-please-notice-me dressed girls who moved into various groups to vantage points where they might be seen. A lot more men than I thought - maybe I've just been to lots of concerts where the majority were women. But groups of friends in their 20s, 30s, 40s seem to dominate and there were some older, Alice Cooper fans. Bunch of people behind us had been at the Marilyn Manson show in December which Johnny played at and said it was incredible. They'd gone because they had a good feeling Johnny would come on-stage and weren't really expecting to enjoy the rest of it but said it was brilliant.

School's Out was a stomping finale - and then everyone else left the stage and you know normally how quickly the crowd disappears? Johnny stayed so we stayed. He walked the edge of the stage trying to throw guitar picks far and wide - more waving, acknowledging, touching his heart etc. Almost reluctantly he left us, waving. Lots of people have written about him that you can tell he appreciates feeling loved and supported by the fans - but for me it went both ways. We left feeling a bit more loved and special as a result of having been there.

In-too-Depp

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:59 am

Thanks Jackslady and Ade for your wonderful thoughts on the night, I'm so glad you got to go and had such a great time. Alot of talent in the group but Johnny does love those that support him and he's obviously showing it. Imagine the thrill for him, with so many friends around him he can be himself for a while in front of so many people and feel free to enjoy it. He doesn't get that freedom in the acting world.
And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:54 pm

Hollywood Vampires review: Johnny Depp, Alice Cooper and Joe Perry's supergroup has plenty of bite
Reviewed by RICK PEARSON

Hollywood Vampires are a supergroup starring Alice Cooper, Aerosmith’s Joe Perry and, er, Johnny Depp.

The name comes from a drinking club, founded by Cooper in the Seventies, whose past members include John Lennon and Keith Moon of The Who. Unlike traditional vampires, this Hollywood variety are not interested in prolonging their own existence, but exhuming the work of rock’s dearly departed. Or, as Cooper put it, “our dead, drunk friends”.

Of course Depp is not the first A-list actor to migrate towards the rock arena — here’s looking at you, Russell Crowe — but in his case it’s more than a dalliance. Indeed, when Depp first moved to LA it was in the hope of becoming a rock guitarist rather than an actor. And he did, of course, base Captain Jack Sparrow on Keith Richards.

Depp, 55, can play, too. While Perry, 67, handled most of the widdly stuff, he was tight and tasteful, even offering a vocal on a cover of David Bowie’s Heroes.

Hollywood Vampires do, of course, have a fabulous frontman of their own. Cooper, 70 years young, offered up blood-curdling vocals and rotated his cane like Hell’s own circus master. “We drink and we fight and we puke and we die,” he sang on a rare Vamps’ original, Dead Drunk Friends, much to the delight of a Wembley crowd, not composed entirely of teetotallers.

While some of these songs might be better left to die in peace, there was plenty of gold here: a riotous take on The Who’s Baba O’Riley; the heavy-riffin’ guitars of AC/DC’s She’s Got The Jack. If there’s something a little self-indulgent about millionaire rockers celebrating the work of other millionaire rockers, there was something genuinely touching about it, too: a reminder of the many talents, such as The Doors’ Jim Morrison, who pushed on through to the other side — and paid the ultimate price.

Suffice to say, Hollywood Vampires are unlikely to leave the same indelible mark. But that’s not the point. They’re a whole lotta fun — and sometimes that’s enough.

Mrs.Nobody

Unread post by Mrs.Nobody » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:12 am

Hi, I haven't really been on in well years but I got to see Johnny last night in Frankfurt. The concert was about 8 miles from my house. I got my ticket at the show, standing room but that was ok I got pretty close! Since I had not been on here nor really following Johnny too closely of late it was a surprise to see him sing. Always moving forward! Loved the concert. Still love Johnny. Following him all those years ago inspired me to move to Europe. I love raising my son here and I've never looked back. Waited at the stage door but everyone just drove by and waved. Cheers. I have video and pictures but nothing better than what is all ready on here. :bigwave:
He has a way of huddling down under his hat and his totemsBut when the camera was on him, some of the times, he kind of beamed Johnny out It was striking, like one of those magic powers in those hobbit movies.John Richardson Esquire Magazine

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:50 am

Mrs.Nobody wrote:Hi, I haven't really been on in well years but I got to see Johnny last night in Frankfurt. The concert was about 8 miles from my house. I got my ticket at the show, standing room but that was ok I got pretty close! Since I had not been on here nor really following Johnny too closely of late it was a surprise to see him sing. Always moving forward! Loved the concert. Still love Johnny. Following him all those years ago inspired me to move to Europe. I love raising my son here and I've never looked back. Waited at the stage door but everyone just drove by and waved. Cheers. I have video and pictures but nothing better than what is all ready on here. :bigwave:
:girlwave:

How cool is that!!! Right down the street from you and able to get a ticket.

Thanks so much for sharing the experience.
Lovely to see you here again.

gipsyblues

Unread post by gipsyblues » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:36 am

:agreesign: :hug3:

Wow ...... that's really cool and I'm happy for you Mrs. Nobody. We ( my husband and I ) were also in Frankfurt, unfortunately our journey took three hours on the highway. But that was completely forgotten when we saw the Vampires live. To experience it live is indescribable. I can only recommend anyone who loves rock music. We also had a standing room, so our pics are not good. Johnny sings Heroes so well and I hope he sings more . :namaste: I realy love his guitarplay !!!
All members of the Vampires are real good musicans !!! :ok:
But also the darkness was very good and the athletic handstand of the guitarist was funny :applause2:
I'm still so happy that we could see the Vampires. :yahoo:

Mrs.Nobody

Unread post by Mrs.Nobody » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:00 am

I liked the blue skin tight track suit! :rotflmao: Sadly I was on the wrong side of the stage I thought Johnny would be in front of the skull and cross bones. Oh well it was truly a great show with or without Johnny. He just added to it. And it was nice to see how healthy and handsome he looked. :captainjack:
I think I got one of the last tickets as soon after I purchased mine I started seeing people with signs looking for tickets in the line.
Cheers
He has a way of huddling down under his hat and his totemsBut when the camera was on him, some of the times, he kind of beamed Johnny out It was striking, like one of those magic powers in those hobbit movies.John Richardson Esquire Magazine

Ruby Begonia

Unread post by Ruby Begonia » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:19 pm

:thankyou: For the great Frankfurt show stories, everybody! Glad to hear the Vampires are having such a successful tour and bringing much joy to the crowd. Since I couldn't make it to any of the Vampires U.S. shows this year, I hope to be able to see Alice Cooper's annual Christmas Pudding charity concert in Phoenix. It's usually the first weekend in December. Johnny came in 2016 ( it was great and he helped Alice raise a huge amount for teens).

gipsyblues

Unread post by gipsyblues » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:03 am

Ruby Begonia wrote::thankyou: For the great Frankfurt show stories, everybody! Glad to hear the Vampires are having such a successful tour and bringing much joy to the crowd. Since I couldn't make it to any of the Vampires U.S. shows this year, I hope to be able to see Alice Cooper's annual Christmas Pudding charity concert in Phoenix. It's usually the first weekend in December. Johnny came in 2016 ( it was great and he helped Alice raise a huge amount for teens).
Thank you Ruby Begonia, I hope you can be at Chritmas Pudding charity concert in Phoenix and wish you a great time there . :hello2:

stroch

Unread post by stroch » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:44 pm

Alice Cooper Interview; Johnny mention.
I thought the highlighted quote was interesting, and look forward to hearing the album.
Alice Cooper is having a typically busy 2018. Having wrapped a Hollywood Vampires tour back in July, he's gearing up to release a live album, A Paranormal Evening at the Olympia Paris on Aug. 31, and just kicked off another solo headlining tour.
Exclusive: The New Hollywood Vampires Album Makes Alice Cooper 'Uncomfortable' - and 'That's a Good Thing'

During a recent appearance to dedicate a new pinball exhibit, "Part of the Machine: Rock & Pinball," at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Cooper gave UCR some exclusive details on yet another project: a new Hollywood Vampires studio album.
"The funny thing is, I’m not doing any writing on it," he says. "Johnny Depp, Joe Perry [and] Tommy Henriksen have written almost 90 percent of it. I come in and do a little surgery on the lyrics. But it’s interesting for me to be singing about Johnny’s angst."
Cooper laughs. "But I wanted it that way. It stretches me a little bit, because I have to listen to the lyrics and go, 'Oh, okay, I see what he’s saying here.' For once, I’m not really doing all of my songs. I’m doing somebody else’s songs."
That's the only JD mention, but here is the link:
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

gipsyblues

Unread post by gipsyblues » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:19 am

:thanks!: Storch

Judymac

Unread post by Judymac » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:26 am

I know I am a little late with this but thank you Ade for your description of the concert. It sounded like an incredible experience! What a wonderful memory.

jruoss

Unread post by jruoss » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:15 pm

stroch wrote: new Hollywood Vampires studio album.
"The funny thing is, I’m not doing any writing on it," he says. "Johnny Depp, Joe Perry [and] Tommy Henriksen have written almost 90 percent of it. I come in and do a little surgery on the lyrics. But it’s interesting for me to be singing about Johnny’s angst."
It's exciting enough that the new album is all (or mostly?) HV originals, but it sounds like Johnny may have written a good portion of the lyrics too? Really looking forward to this one. I wonder if he does any lead vocals this time...
"There is certainly a part of me that tends to be that loner. You never find me in the center of the crowd. I just like to stay back a little and hang in the shadows."

gipsyblues

Unread post by gipsyblues » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:35 am

Oh, I miss the Hollywood Vampires so much. :lovedrunk: Hopefully the new album is coming soon. I'm so impatient, curious and excited. :heart:

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:16 am

Ade wrote:It is like Johnny is connecting with each individual member of the audience rather than the whole crowd. I hope I've given the sense of that because it was the most special thing about the evening. I was really reminded of a comment Paul Bettany made once when he said that when you are with Johnny you know that there is nowhere better and no one is having more fun than you. Ok that was what it was like being there. And he did this the whole show, even though for the first few numbers there was a huge bank of photographers between the band and the audience (a smaller group of photographers didn't get ushered out and stayed the whole time).
Yes, so he's exactly the right person to play Grindelwald. Except that Johnny uses his charisma all for good, and Grindelwald - not so much :love:
Last edited by Joni on Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Ade's words put in quotations to avoid confusion.