WAITING FOR THE BARBARIANS Updates, Reviews and Discussion

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
Ruby Begonia

Re: WAITING FOR THE BARBARIANS Updates, Reviews and Discussion

Unread postby Ruby Begonia » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:48 am

:hatsoff: Thanks to Nebraska and Fireflydances for their interesting input! The book opening with the focus on Joll's sunglasses reminds me of the opening to OUATIM, which I loved. Kind of sad it's not going to be how this film begins, but I'm sure it will be good. I'll definitely read the novel but not until after I see the film story with fresh, unspoiled eyes. And then I'm sure I'll see the film again taking into consideration the novel and the ONBC insights. I want to be surprised the first time.

I hope Coetzee has written a good part for JD. I think it will be very different from the jail captain JD played in Before Night Falls.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:52 am

Isn't it interesting (and wonderful) what a different approach we take. As my uncle once told me, if we are both alike one of us isn't necessary. :cool:

meeps

Unread postby meeps » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:18 am

I love your uncle's saying :loveshower: May I use that in the future :love: ?

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:44 am

meeps wrote:I love your uncle's saying :loveshower: May I use that in the future :love: ?

Yes absolutely!

meeps

Unread postby meeps » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:56 am

Thanks a billion for that :airkiss2:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:49 pm

I found three reviews -- Variety, Hollywood Reporter and The Guardian:

Variety:

Hollywood Reporter:

The Guardian:

The first two are the most thoughtful and both writers give good reviews. I was not impressed by the reviewer at The Guardian who found it necessary to make a cutting personal remark about JD. Nothing to do with his performance. The guy just thinks he's too skinny. (what an industry!)

I figure you might want to move these elsewhere. And I will probably have a question about the reviews in ONBC.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:40 pm

Overall positive comments for Johnny :applause2: and for Rylance. Can't hurt!

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:04 pm

Another review, IndieWire. Gives the film a "C"

"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:19 pm

fireflydances wrote:I found three reviews -- Variety, Hollywood Reporter and The Guardian:

Variety:

Hollywood Reporter:

The Guardian:

The first two are the most thoughtful and both writers give good reviews. I was not impressed by the reviewer at The Guardian who found it necessary to make a cutting personal remark about JD. Nothing to do with his performance. The guy just thinks he's too skinny. (what an industry!)

I figure you might want to move these elsewhere. And I will probably have a question about the reviews in ONBC.

Thanks firefly! I merged your Review topic with the existing Updates topic, and threw in Discussion as well, as it's pretty hard to separate the three once the discussions begin.

People trying to avoid Spoilers should maybe watch out for them now in this thread.
He has a way of huddling down under his hat and his totems. But when the camera was on him he kind of beamed Johnny out. It was striking, like one of those magic powers in those hobbit movies.
~John H. Richardson

meeps

Unread postby meeps » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:33 am

This is not so much about the movie, but among other things about Johnny being a very sweet daddy: :truefan:

Ade-ele

Unread postby Ade-ele » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:15 am

As Reuters has put it to its 20+ million twitter followers - it was Depp-mania in Venice yesterday.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1170123262296113152

PS why does Robin Baum always look so worried and serious? You only see her back here but in other clips yesterday she always looks worried bless her.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:44 pm

Yet another review. As Stephen Deuters tweeted, "they know. a cracking good review"

BFI

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:34 pm

Another really good review. This reviewer -- Luke Hicks -- knows the book well and that makes a tremendous difference in what he sees.

The Playlist:

Ruby Begonia

Unread postby Ruby Begonia » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:16 pm

Ciro Guerra • Director of Waiting for the Barbarians
“Some people have called this novel unfilmable, but I could see it very clearly”
by Jan Lumholdt

Interesting interview with Ciro Guerra linked above. Excerpt of his great comments about Johnny:

Johnny Depp liked both the novel and my previous work, and was very positive. He’s a sweet man, Johnny, with a lovely disposition, and he was very happy to work with actors again – when you do special-effects films, it can be lonely with all the green screens. So he jumped at the opportunity from page one. For me, it was new to work with actors who are really at the top of their game, and it was very rewarding. They became good friends along the way.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:35 pm

I found this little hopeful sliver over at The Playlist which also contains the first (and very short and limited) clip of Johnny and Marc.

But first the sliver I mentioned: Currently, ‘Barbarians’ has no U.S. release date or distribution, but it smells like one of those artful indies that come out in Spring, so hopefully, someone acquires it for 2020. There’s no trailer out there, but Venice has released the first clip from the film that will tide us over until then. :hope:

Here is link to the article and the tiny clip:

Return to “News & Views”