THE PROFESSOR (Richard Says Goodbye) Updates

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
Sweeney Todd

Unread postby Sweeney Todd » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:11 pm

justintime wrote:I’ve noticed there are now some rumblings about a proper theatrical release in n the US and UK for City of Lies

Really? Where did you read that
:sweeneydepp: Never forget. Never forgive. :sweeneydepp:

justintime

Unread postby justintime » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:51 pm

Sweeney Todd wrote:
justintime wrote:I’ve noticed there are now some rumblings about a proper theatrical release in n the US and UK for City of Lies

Really? Where did you read that

Rumblings, SweeneyTodd, rumblings. I came upon a comment from someone in the industry (non-JD “fan”) that was actually positive toward the film and expressed a hope it would receive a wide release in the two countries - the US and England - where, I imagine, the subject matter could reasonably be expected to fare well. It was picked up by IFOD and some other pro-JD twitter sites. Sentiments like these seemed non-existent for The Professor so I thought it was worth mentioning:

Sean Bradley
@SeanB102

'#CityOfLies': Johnny Depp and @ForestWhitaker are great in this biographical drama about the investigation into the murder of Biggie Smalls. Cinematography was good. Structure was pretty solid. Let's hope for general release in England and the US. 7/10

@CityofLiesMovie
9:13 PM · Jul 9, 2019 · Twitter for Android

https://twitter.com/SeanB102/status/1148762247147204608
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

Ruby Begonia

Unread postby Ruby Begonia » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:58 pm

The Professor was sold out at my local Redbox today, so there is interest :-). I wish that both The Professor and City of Lies would get released to theaters but, if I had to choose, my opinion is that The Professor is a better movie. Johnny was able to display a wider range of emotions and activities in The Professor, the humor helped, and I especially enjoyed his scenes with his best friend, Peter. The students were great, especially the dour, sarcastic girl.

I liked both films but each could have benefited from development of other characters to make the stories more interesting. I get the sense those were cut for run time, leaving us with scene after scene of Johnny or, in the case of City of Lies, Johnny and Forest Whitaker.

One rumor as to why City of Lies hasn't been released in US theaters to date is topical given yesterday's LA Times article about possible gangs existing within the LA Sheriff's Dept. The Guardian reported on it last year: .
This could generate interest and a theater audience for City of Lies, but the version I viewed seemed to have many interesting parts cut: Poole's relationship with his family (allowing him to show a wider range of emotions and more energy), development of the characters and the background story. One good thing I found while watching: Those stories that JD was drunk while filming are clearly not true per his performance.

Return to “News & Views”