FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD Updates

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
justintime

Unread postby justintime » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:48 pm

SnoopyDances wrote: . . . Cost/Not necessary: The cost of security, traffic, lodgings, etc., vs the "need" for a US premiere. Producers/studios probably felt that it wasn't necessary. The buzz is out, the fans are excited, and advanced ticket sales are going well. . .

Ade wrote:. . . I do hope Johnny is going to the premiere - I know he is filming in Morocco but fingers crossed, if he doesn't go - even for the perfectly legitimate reasons that he is working and hates doing them - the haters will say that WB didn't want him promoting it (which is clearly rubbish after the ComicCon performance) or that he's hiding.

Thank you, SnoopyDances and Ade. Logical thinking, Snoopy. And yes, Ade, I do hope he attends the London premiere for exactly the reason you’ve stated. Guess I’m just overreacting. Very quiet here even with so many critical legal issues still festering and no official reviews yet.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

Chocolat

Unread postby Chocolat » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:57 pm

Yes, cost would be a major factor. Also, I understand that there is a FB screening in NYC tonight where, originally, the red carpet was supposed to take place. Being that it's election day, my guess is that voting could have played into the final decision of omitting NYC from a red carpet event.
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:16 pm

Fantastic Beasts Premiere in Paris

Not sure how long with will last...LIVE video of the event.

EDIT: Leaky Cauldron just announced that Johnny is NOT at the Paris premiere. :sad:

meeps

Unread postby meeps » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:59 am

Review - not exactly as positive as the fans the other day, but not bad either. And if I understand it correctly it doesn't criticise Johnny?

In-too-Depp

Unread postby In-too-Depp » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:33 am

Review from Screendaily.com

By Fionnuala Hannigan, Film Critic

8th October 2018

Questions of family and identity swirl around the heart of Harry Potter relative Fantastic Beasts, which is increasingly – and thrillingly – beginning to reveal itself as a parent. J. K. Rowling’s five-film ‘Wizarding World’ franchise is slowly shaping up as a dark blockbuster with sharply political teeth: children who started out in Hogwarts back in 2001 will find themselves reflected in this story of young adults facing down a blonde-haired demagogue who seduces his acolytes with stories of a master race.

Narrows its focus very sharply to effectively set up a chess board for the future three films left in the series.

Efficient, yet loose, Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them grossed just short of $815m worldwide in exactly the same release slot two years ago: a disappointment in Harry Potter world. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald, however, should easily lift this new franchise back towards the commercial performances of the past (ie, Harry Potter’s combined, eight-film $6.5bn gross). Rowling’s script plays down the sweet beasts and jokey romance to transport viewers into a story which is explicitly and visually linked to the rise of fascism in Europe and all the more chilling for it.

Grindelwald feels very fluid. The main cast returns, but shifts, while significant new characters are introduced, and also shift. The story is distributed more evenly and the running time seems less bloated as a result. Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne) is awarded a brother, Theseus (Callum Turner), and their relationship and interaction with Newt’s former Hogwarts classmate Leta Lestrange (Zoe Kravitz) gives the film a warm anchor against the return of dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald (played by Johnny Depp as a Billy Idol gone to ruin) and the desperate hunt for powerful orphan Credence (Ezra Miller).

It should first be acknowledged that The Crimes Of Grindelwald is a film of considerable technical wizardry. David Yates returns as master of ceremonies: he has directed four Harry Potters and will helm all five Fantastic Beasts films. His skill and experience, coupled with production designer Stuart Craig’s singular and consistent vision over nearly two decades allow Rowling’s fierce imaginings to take life. The film is an elegantly-paced thread of mirrors into past glories (a Diagon Alley-style set in Paris, Newt’s Tardis-like home as a spectacular retort to Hogwarts) coupled with set-pieces which explosively punctuate a story that starts out loosely but narrows its focus very sharply to effectively set up a chess board for the rest of the series.

Grindelwald starts with a typically bravura opening sequence in New York’s Ministry of Magic in 1927. The wizard Grindelwald, previously played in disguise by a rather flat Colin Farrell before revealed to be the considerably peppier Depp, is being transported to Europe to pay for his crimes there when he stages a thrilling escape. Three months later, in London, Newt is told by his brother at the hardline Ministry of Magic that Grindelwald’s pure-blood movement – over the ‘non-maj’ or ‘can’t spell’ muggles – is gaining strength and the time has come where “everyone has to pick a side”. Happy with his animals, Newt doesn’t see things that way.

As the battle lines harden on either side, Hogwarts master Albus Dumbledore (Jude Law) comes to ask another favour of Newt, and his New York friends Jacob (Dan Fogler) and Queenie (Alison Sudol) return to lead him back to auror Tina (Katherine Waterston).

The feeling here is dark throughout, with a trip to Hogwarts allowing some rare open skies. Fascist trappings lend the 1920s art deco-influenced sets a sinister air. Street scenes are lit like postcards of the time which fade in and out of colour. Grindelwald’s predictions are chilling. When Dumbledore conjures up a fog across London to shadow his conversation with Newt, it’s a reminder how the repeated sequels, theme parks, fake platform at Kings Cross and wand box sets have also overshadowed the exacting creative genius that lies at the heart of Harry Potter and all its cinematic iterations and spin-offs. There’s real magic here, and nothing fake about the emotions which guide it.

And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

meeps

Unread postby meeps » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:08 am

It's a nicely under-played performance by Johnny Depp as the persuasive villain, who is trying to establish a new world order with himself at the pinnacle. Emphasising his humanity makes him a much more interesting bad guy than the all-powerful Lord Voldemort from Harry's day.

Have that from the Mirror:

In-too-Depp

Unread postby In-too-Depp » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:34 am

Another review from weliveentertainment.com. I'll just post a link to this one as it does mention some of what happens and not everyone wants to read anything regarding content until they see the film. So much positivity for Johnny though!

Johnny Depp as Gellert Grindelwald is perfection. Depp disappears into this role and becomes a villain whose is not only terrifying in his appearance but whose rhetoric makes you question your judgment. And because of that, I do believe that Grindelwald is a superior villain to that of Lord Voldemort. You understand what Grindelwald is fighting for and why he is fighting for it. You can see his side of the argument which is what makes him such a powerful leader.

In-too-Depp

Unread postby In-too-Depp » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:35 am

Thanks Meeps, I love the positive reviews for Johnny's performance. :heart2:

In-too-Depp

Unread postby In-too-Depp » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:36 am

SnoopyDances wrote:Fantastic Beasts Premiere in Paris

Not sure how long with will last...LIVE video of the event.

EDIT: Leaky Cauldron just announced that Johnny is NOT at the Paris premiere. :sad:

Apparently he's going to be at the London one.

In-too-Depp

Unread postby In-too-Depp » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:47 am

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald review – An astonishing level of visual detail and inventiveness

Geoffrey McNab: The Independent
8th November 2018

You need to be good at family trees to keep up with the second Fantastic Beasts feature. JK Rowling has written a fantastically complicated screenplay, full of brothers, sisters and star-crossed lovers who all have fraught relationships with one another. An explosive final reel, set around the Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris, only goes a certain distance toward making matters clearer.

Like its predecessor, The Crimes of Grindelwald has some very dark moments which veer off into the realm of Fritz Lang-like film noir. These are interspersed with plenty of knockabout comedy. The performances are every bit as vivid as the special effects. Director David Yates and his team show their now expected levels of virtuoso craftsmanship. In terms of production values, this is Rolls Royce filmmaking. The film boasts an astonishing level of visual detail and inventiveness. The only drawback is that Rowling has included so many different characters and sub-plots that the narrative momentum is sometimes lost.

The film opens a year on from its predecessor, in New York in 1927. Dark wizard Grindlewald (Johnny Depp) is under lock and key. The American Ministry of Magic has gone to extreme lengths to stop him escaping.

Over in London, 13 months later, Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne) is busy with his magical beasts. He’s a Gerald Durrell-like figure, never happier than when he is feeding or exercising his animals – his beloved nifflers, kelpies and assorted other creepy-crawlies. After the happenings in the last movie, he is still deeply distrusted at the British Ministry of Magic where his more straitlaced brother Theseus (Callum Turner) works. Newt is banned from travelling aboard. However, with the 100 year peace between wizards and non-wizards under severe threat from Grindelwald, Newt’s services may well be needed. When he is approached by his old teacher, Albus Dumbledore (Jude Law looking very dashing and Richard Hannay-like in a tweed suit), he reluctantly agrees to help.

Newt may seem chaotic and impractical but he is just as courageous as he was in the first film. As Dumbledore notes of him, he doesn’t seek favour or popularity but simply asks if a thing is “right”. Redmayne plays him in sly fashion, making sure that we are always aware that, for all his bumbling, he is practical, resourceful and principled.

Many of the protagonists from the first film re-appear. Jacob Kowalski (Dan Fogler), the rotund and cheery bakery owner, hasn’t had his memory “obliviated” after all. He is still in love with Queenie (Alison Sudol, who delivers her lines in a breathless, Marilyn Monroe-like gasp), even if she has been using her wizarding powers to keep him besotted.

Romantic misunderstandings abound. Queenie’s sister Tina Goldstein (Waterston) isn’t at all sure that Newt loves her any more. Leta Lestrange (Zoë Kravitz) is engaged to Theseus but it’s hinted that Newt may be her real sweetheart. Lots of the characters here are searching for answers about their true family identities or the real feelings of their loved ones. Dumbledore has “history” with Grindelwald. They were once very close indeed. Now, the evil wizard seems like his dark reflection.

The casting of Depp was criticised in certain quarters following his divorce from Amber Heard amid allegations of domestic abuse. Whatever the upheavals in his private life, Depp is still a consummate screen actor. His portrayal of Grindelwald rekindles memories of his old mentor, Vincent Price, in some of his more outré roles. White haired, softly spoken and with very pale skin, he dresses in black and looks from a distance like a New Romantic pop star. In his restraint and quiet malevolence, he is the utter antithesis of Depp’s Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean films. Depp features far more prominently here than in the first film – but he is one character among many.

This is an ensemble piece. At times, it becomes very cluttered. There are flashbacks to school days in which we see Newt as a youngster and Leta Lestrange using her magic to silence the school bullies. We are whisked from New York to London and then on to Paris. The plot has circus scenes, including South Korean actress Claudia Kim as the shape-shifting Nagini undergoing an extraordinary transformation, as well as chases and explosions. In one ill-judged montage, we peer into the future and the characters catch glimpses of the Second World War and of atomic bombs. With so different narrative strands, the storytelling risks becoming tangled. Even so, The Crimes of Grindelwald is rich and intriguing fare that will leave viewers impatient for the next sequel (if only so they can make more sense of what has been going on here.)

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald is released in UK cinemas on 16 November

Ade

Unread postby Ade » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:25 am

Thank you In-Too-Depp - it is my favourite review so far, I guessed at least one reviewer would say something like - he is burying Jack Sparrow. Whatever. He has amazing range.

Also liked this review:

And the Mirror - goodness!

Even the snarky ones which I read last night which take delight in having a go at JK Rowling and David Yates seemed to like Johnny's performance.

The reviews don't bother me - I just know I am going to love this and this time next week I will have seen it!

Ade

Unread postby Ade » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:34 pm

And more are out - I need to lie down, for the second film in a row, the Daily Mail praises Johnny (they liked him in MOTOE if you remember).

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:25 am

Whatever the upheavals in his private life, Depp is still a consummate screen actor. His portrayal of Grindelwald rekindles memories of his old mentor, Vincent Price, in some of his more outré roles. White haired, softly spoken and with very pale skin, he dresses in black and looks from a distance like a New Romantic pop star. In his restraint and quiet malevolence, he is the utter antithesis of Depp’s Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean films.

I haven't followed links for all these reviews, but this bit alone is music to my ears. Remember that scissors-thingy Johnny did back in 1990? For Johnny to earn comparison to his "creator" nearly 3 decades later is truly high praise. Like Johnny, Vincent had a style, a charisma, an intelligence and eccentricity that can't be taught.
"There is certainly a part of me that tends to be that loner. You never find me in the center of the crowd. I just like to stay back a little and hang in the shadows."

momindeppcamp

Unread postby momindeppcamp » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:25 am

jruoss wrote:
Whatever the upheavals in his private life, Depp is still a consummate screen actor. His portrayal of Grindelwald rekindles memories of his old mentor, Vincent Price, in some of his more outré roles. White haired, softly spoken and with very pale skin, he dresses in black and looks from a distance like a New Romantic pop star. In his restraint and quiet malevolence, he is the utter antithesis of Depp’s Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean films.

I haven't followed links for all these reviews, but this bit alone is music to my ears. Remember that scissors-thingy Johnny did back in 1990? For Johnny to earn comparison to his "creator" nearly 3 decades later is truly high praise. Like Johnny, Vincent had a style, a charisma, an intelligence and eccentricity that can't be taught.

Wow!!!!!! Johnny is not unlike a diamond. He has many facets. And that is what makes him great. This film will not go unseen. :thanks: :-O
What is that? It is a Terrible Towel ,Chuckle A Terrible Towel?, Yes it is a Terrible Towel for you and your son. Over this left shoulder it went. Never to be seen or heard from again. I am always so misunderstood.

Sweeney Todd

Unread postby Sweeney Todd » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:41 pm

Great review of Johnny's performance by IGN:

Johnny Depp is instantly captivating as the titular villain and damn creepy, too, complete with sunken cheeks, a ghostly complexion, and haunting mismatched eyes. It’s no easy task being the new villain on the Harry Potter block, especially after Ralph Fiennes so memorably nailed his role as Lord Voldemort. But instead of going for the familiar, over-the-top Jack Sparrow-theatrics, the thrice Oscar-nominated actor gives a subdued performance that, in many ways, outshines any role he’s had in recent memory. Sure, he’s the quintessential bad guy here, but Rowling smartly gives him some much-needed moral ambiguity which makes Grindelwald a fascinating character to follow.

His emotional depth is enhanced by complementary performances from some welcomed new additions to the cast – most notably Jude Law as a slightly less gray-haired Albus Dumbledore. The powerful wizards share a bond that helps humanize Grindelwald’s hostile disposition, and the fact that Dumbledore had some affection for him in the past helps to prevent Depp’s character from becoming another mustache-twirling magical psychopath.

In typical Jude Law fashion, his performance is full of charm and even a nice bit of humor whenever he’s having a chat with Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne). However, as charismatic as Law is, he doesn’t add anything unique to the legendary wizard’s legacy we hadn’t seen from the late Richard Harris and Michael Gambon’s portrayals in the Harry Potter movies. At the same time, perhaps due to in part to our familiarity with the actor, it never feels like he’s embodying that established Dumbledore persona. Especially when Depp is able to impressively disappear into his portrayal of Grindelwald while being as big a movie star as they come, it’s quite a contrast.

:sweeneydepp: Never forget. Never forgive. :sweeneydepp:

Return to “News & Views”