Bad Press re Johnny appearing in Fantastic Beasts

For more relaxed conversation about Johnny Depp, to share favorite Depp photos & scans, have themed pic parties, or to identify unknown pics
gipsyblues

Re: Bad Press re Johnny appearing in Fantastic Beasts

Unread postby gipsyblues » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:28 am

:thankyou: director David Yates !!!! Well said !!! :applause2:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:08 am

Lbock wrote:Perez is running a poll in his article re Johnny as Grindewald. I hate giving him clicks, but he does have a huge following. Up to you if you want to vote

It’s letting me vote multiple times if I wait awhile

I refuse to support any of the haters with clicks and attention.

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:34 pm

This idea that some people now have of boycotting films or other works of art due to the supposed private lives of those who are involved in the work is weird to me. I suppose they like to be part of the virtue signalling club on twitter or something. Even vile as Weinstein appears to be I’m not going to suddenly throw all my Miramax dvd’s in the bin. These are strange times, I hope these people have got some films left to enjoy by the time they have discarded most on the basis of hearsay.

I don’t read Twitter very much nowadays as there seems to be a lot of hate there for Johnny at the moment.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:40 pm

bpearloz wrote:
Lbock wrote:
bpearloz wrote:Please delete if the tone of this post is wrong.

I would just love to say that I am enjoying reading the support everyone has here for Johnny. I live in a fandom community what could be best described as Ground Zone for Potterverse "Anti Johnny Depp stance. The emotional abuse (verging on hatred) that my sister and friends have had directed at us, just because we are Depp fans and if they had their way the closure of a group that does charity work.

I am strong and know that their is a real world outside of their soapbox rants but I would be interested to know if anyone else has suffered just because they don't believe in trial by social media.

Is it a few people against him or do you feel you are in the minority and the large part of your potterverse hates him?

I know it is only a few in potterverse, however I just happen to the know some of the most vocal that have turn their anger towards other fans. One of them ever went as far as to compare JD to Kevin Spacey :mad2: Misandry Feminism that gang up online against anyone that doesn't share their view. I am a Feminist that understands that women can be abusive too and victims can be either sex.

Sorry to learn about your experience bpearloz. I agree with you about the Misandry Feminism. We are living in a dangerous world when innocent until proven guilty is thrown by the wayside. The idea that the potential victim must always be believed without question and prior to further investigation is morally wrong in my opinion.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

Judymac

Unread postby Judymac » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:50 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
nebraska wrote:I am not sure the general public takes all this as seriously as we do.

Exactly. If you want to go looking for bad press you will find it most people don't.

I completely agree, Thank you!

Ade

Unread postby Ade » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:37 am

I had a really heartening experience last night at a Christmas party. Got chatting to a bunch of 20-somethings who all said they were huge Harry Potter fans, loved JK Rowling. I was curious what their view would be on Johnny and was amazed that the whole furore had passed them by. Couldn't care less - glad to see two quality actors in the shape of Johnny and Jude law taking such important roles in the franchise. Just excited about the film next year.

We spend so much time wrapped up in the detail, I suppose we get obsessive and hurt by all the lies. But worth bearing in mind most people just don't bother reading this stuff. I think I mentioned before that I went out with colleagues for lunch a few months ago and some of them had never even heard of AH.

I've read some of the twitter fuss over a fan who ranted about JK Rowling blocking her for 'asking a question' about Johnny. Actually very amusing how some of these people not only turn on JK Rowling (when it is HER twitter account and HER franchise) but really quickly turn on each other.

gipsyblues

Unread postby gipsyblues » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:13 am

Ade.... thank you! :winterwave2:
I also think that many Harry Potter fans are happy about Johnny !!! Those who write about him negatively are paid trolls! :bigwink:

sleepy
JDZ Founder

Unread postby sleepy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:08 pm

The thing about twitter...it seems to be a forum to vent hatred, much more than anything positive. People who are not really angry and vicious don't spend much time there. Twitter probably isn't really accurate of the majority opinion.
Funny ol' world, innit?

gipsyblues

Unread postby gipsyblues » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:27 pm

:agreesign: sleepy !!!
That's why I do not have a twitter account and facebook. The hatred in the social media is increasing in the last years !!! Often this has nothing to do with the real world !!! So it's just my perception and opinion.

justintime

Unread postby justintime » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:22 pm

I, too, have never had accounts with Facebook, Twitter, or any other social media. I am particularly glad now that such is the case. Although I have to admit to lurking occasionally on two other sites, JDZ is the only forum where I actually consider what I’m reading seriously enough to post. I am grateful for the links provided here - they are enough, it seems, to keep me informed - and riled up (ha!) sufficiently to follow through a bit further at times on my own. I can’t imagine what Johnny’s state of mind would be if he allowed himself access to the social media minefield, even sporadically.

Heartfelt thanks to Theresa, Joni, and our Founder, sleepy, always . . .
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

Lbock

Unread postby Lbock » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:34 pm

JK Rowling posted her comment on her mainwebsite

7 DECEMBER 2017
Grindelwald casting

When Johnny Depp was cast as Grindelwald, I thought he’d be wonderful in the role. However, around the time of filming his cameo in the first movie, stories had appeared in the press that deeply concerned me and everyone most closely involved in the franchise.

Harry Potter fans had legitimate questions and concerns about our choice to continue with Johnny Depp in the role. As David Yates, long-time Potter director, has already said, we naturally considered the possibility of recasting. I understand why some have been confused and angry about why that didn’t happen.

The huge, mutually supportive community that has grown up around Harry Potter is one of the greatest joys of my life. For me personally, the inability to speak openly to fans about this issue has been difficult, frustrating and at times painful. However, the agreements that have been put in place to protect the privacy of two people, both of whom have expressed a desire to get on with their lives, must be respected. Based on our understanding of the circumstances, the filmmakers and I are not only comfortable sticking with our original casting, but genuinely happy to have Johnny playing a major character in the movies.

I’ve loved writing the first two screenplays and I can’t wait for fans to see ‘The Crimes of Grindelwald’. I accept that there will be those who are not satisfied with our choice of actor in the title role. However, conscience isn’t governable by committee. Within the fictional world and outside it, we all have to do what we believe to be the right thing.

Lbock

Unread postby Lbock » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:02 pm

JK Rowling, Warner Bros Stand By Johnny Depp In ‘Fantastic Beasts,’ Despite Allegations In Marital Breakup

by Mike Fleming Jr
December 7, 2017 8:46am

In an unusual wrinkle in this ongoing harassment mess that has engulfed Hollywood, Harry Potter creator JK Rowling and Warner Bros and Fantastic Beasts director David Yates and producer David Heyman have issued statements in support of Johnny Depp, whose character Gellert Grindelwald was introduced in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and takes center stage in the sequel, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald. Usually, these statements follow investigative articles baring assault allegation, and the statements are generally about cutting ties. This one was provoked, apparently, by Rowling feeling she needed to back the star after a fan appealed to her on Twitter to recast the role.

RelatedDirectors UK Launches New Minimum Contract Terms With Key Industry Support
Rowling wrote: “When Johnny Depp was cast as Grindelwald, I thought he’d be wonderful in the role. However, around the time of filming his cameo in the first movie, stories had appeared in the press that deeply concerned me and everyone most closely involved in the franchise.

Harry Potter fans had legitimate questions and concerns about our choice to continue with Johnny Depp in the role. As David Yates, long-time Potter director, has already said, we naturally considered the possibility of recasting. I understand why some have been confused and angry about why that didn’t happen.

The huge, mutually supportive community that has grown up around Harry Potter is one of the greatest joys of my life. For me personally, the inability to speak openly to fans about this issue has been difficult, frustrating and at times painful. However, the agreements that have been put in place to protect the privacy of two people, both of whom have expressed a desire to get on with their lives, must be respected. Based on our understanding of the circumstances, the filmmakers and I are not only comfortable sticking with our original casting, but genuinely happy to have Johnny playing a major character in the movies.

I’ve loved writing the first two screenplays and I can’t wait for fans to see ‘The Crimes of Grindelwald’. I accept that there will be those who are not satisfied with our choice of actor in the title role. However, conscience isn’t governable by committee. Within the fictional world and outside it, we all have to do what we believe to be the right thing.”

Warner Bros echoed Rowling’s sentiment, in a statement:

“We are of course aware of reports that surfaced around the end of Johnny Depp’s marriage, and take seriously the complexity of the issues involved.

This matter has been jointly addressed by both parties, in a statement in which they said “there was never any intent of physical or emotional harm.”

Based on the circumstances and the information available to us, we, along with the filmmakers, continue to support the decision to proceed with Johnny Depp in the role of Grindelwald in this and future films.”

Lbock

Unread postby Lbock » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:02 pm

Above from Deadline.com

Warner Brothers has finally spoken. The perfect quote I believe

Sweeney Todd

Unread postby Sweeney Todd » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:29 pm

Perfect statements by everybody involved. Sadly, those who have made up their minds long ago choose to attack them instead of consider the possibility his ex lied.
:sweeneydepp: Never forget. Never forgive. :sweeneydepp:

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:48 pm

Glad to see the positive tone here. I was a little taken aback just discovering that Rowling and Warner, etc. felt compelled to issue statements in regards to Johnny's participation. All I can say is I hope that's in response to the fanatical, loud few and not the majority of the Harry Potter fan base. I wasn't a Harry Potter follower in the first place, but now that Johnny's committed to this series, I want to see it work out for the best.
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"I've got a lot of Barbies in storage..."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

Return to “DeppChat & Pic Parties”