MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers)

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
justintime

Unread postby justintime » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:41 pm

Haha! “. . . there are a few shots where Johnny is so beautiful he can’t help himself!” The story of his life,eh?

You are making me jealous, Ade, but I do appreciate having particular Johnny-scenes to look out for sort of tabbed in my head. So, thanks! Hoping to go this weekend, at least once!
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

shaman-art

Unread postby shaman-art » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:17 pm

MOTOE starts today here in Germany. I saw a late afternoon 70 mm screening in English and the cinema was surprisingly full. I watched the trailer but I refused to read any reviews. I was familiar with the story since I'd read the book and I know two of the older movies. So no surprise here. When I first heard about this project I thought 'why another one?' but I'm quite happy with it. Slowly paced but never boring. The train itself, the clothes and all the details are amazing. Somehow I prefer Johnny playing bad guys. I wish there had been more of the black and white scenes. I don't know if somebody else has written it before: At the end when everyone is seated at the large table at the entrance of the tunnel the first thing that came to my mind was Da Vinci's Last Supper. What do you think?

Ade

Unread postby Ade » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:06 pm

Yes it is a beautifully staged scene isn't it? Kenneth Branagh's films are real works of art, so beautiful to look at. So glad you enjoyed it, you are right it is slow but never boring. Also agree I could have watched a lot more black and white scenes in fact an entire film of Johnny doing things in black and white would be just fine. But I'll just enjoy this for now - hoping to see it again next week (all of my friends know I am their film buddy for Johnny Depp's movies - an excellent excuse to go multiple times).

tralala

Unread postby tralala » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:15 am

Hi guys! First of all, hello to everybody. I'm new to the board and it's nice to meet you all.
Secondly, I've been scrolling thorugh the reviews for MOTOE and I've come across one that bothers me greatly:
http://www.laweekly.com/film/murder-on- ... ng-8832728
The author doesn't just make a personal jab at Johnny (sadly, I've come to expect these from time to time), she drags AH's allegations into her review and presents them as facts. Now, even if I didn't like Johnny, I firmly believe in the "innocent until proven guilty" rule, which is one of the foundations of the fair legal system, so I find this kind of behaviour simply unethical for a journalist. I know it's upsetting, but I'm sharing this with you so you can leave a comment if you have a facebook account. It troubles me that someone unaware of the whole case could read this review and get the wrong idea.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:25 am

tralala wrote:Hi guys! First of all, hello to everybody. I'm new to the board and it's nice to meet you all.
Secondly, I've been scrolling thorugh the reviews for MOTOE and I've come across one that bothers me greatly:
The author doesn't just make a personal jab at Johnny (sadly, I've come to expect these from time to time), she drags AH's allegations into her review and presents them as facts. Now, even if I didn't like Johnny, I firmly believe in the "innocent until proven guilty" rule, which is one of the foundations of the fair legal system, so I find this kind of behaviour simply unethical for a journalist. I know it's upsetting, but I'm sharing this with you so you can leave a comment if you have a facebook account. It troubles me that someone unaware of the whole case could read this review and get the wrong idea.

:welcome: tralala!

Thanks for sharing the article.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:16 am

tralala wrote:Hi guys! First of all, hello to everybody. I'm new to the board and it's nice to meet you all.

The remark was absolutely unethical! Thank goodness it was a sentence buried in a much bigger article, hopefully not many people actually see it!

Ade

Unread postby Ade » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:00 pm

Tralala hello!

Agreed Nebraska - I almost gave up reading it and only carried on because I was looking for it. Irrelevant to the review - just stupid and ignorant.

Has anyone else seen the movie yet, I'm desperate to hear more thoughts!

tralala

Unread postby tralala » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:48 pm

nebraska wrote:The remark was absolutely unethical! Thank goodness it was a sentence buried in a much bigger article, hopefully not many people actually see it!

Yeah, she crossed the line. That's why it angered me so much: there is a difference between writing an essay where you express your opinions and beliefs on your private blog and disguising them as established facts in an article where you're representing an institution and you should remember to separate definite statements from allegations. I can respect people I disagree with if they respect me and the truth. But as you said, thankfully, the article is long and there are so many reviews now that it will probably simply get lost among the other texts.
I can't wait to see the movie myself, but it's still not in the theatres in my country. Ugh.

marija

Unread postby marija » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:45 pm

:wave: Hello
I'm back right now( after a glass of red wine with my friend) from the second time of 'meeting' Monsieur Poirot and Mr. Rachet and all the suspects.
I love this movie. It's so beautiful and detailed made. If you're a Johnny or Agatha Christie fan or not, you'll love it. Simply gorgeous. My family and friends where very impressed at all. They all don't knew wether the story nore they are a fan of Johnny or anyone else in the movie...so there comments were objectively.
Yes, it's a fine movie and everyone is the very right cast for their characters, but most outstanding are Kenneth Branagh and yes ...Johnny. I think that the gangster pcharacters suits him...he IS the evil in his role in a very smart way. Oooh I love his ( to few) performances!
Ladies...go to watch this movie. It's worth in every way. :smiliewithhearts:
...it's not easy, to be different..."

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:09 pm

I saw the movie last week, :popcorn: but want to see it again before reviewing here. So much was happening, I want to make sure I didn't miss anything, which I probably did. :agree2:

They did change the characters quite a bit from the book and added more action. Christie's book focused more on Poirot's powers of deduction, rather than a lot of distracted movement and red herrings to chase. So I can't agree with the critics who said it dragged in the middle. :nosmile: There was a definite strategy to prevent that.

I do agree with the comment here about the last supper. I thought that when I saw the trailer and again during the movie. Good catch. :ok:

tocnavforjd

Unread postby tocnavforjd » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:04 am

Finally got to see it - I thought it was really well done. The acting was very good by all and the scenery was spectacular. Johnny was very good in his role - naturally wanted more but appreciated what there was. I disagree with the few negative reviews I've seen (that is pretty typical though as I view them now as idiots and they prove that time and time again). I had seen the earlier movie version but I guess that version didn't stay with me as I was surprised by the solving of the murder. I had to laugh at that. Anyway - a movie well worth the money to see it in the theater.
"This is exactly what makes the two sides of your personality. You do not know what you want to be in life, dramatic actor, or crazy person"---J.Depp

gipsyblues

Unread postby gipsyblues » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:36 pm

:agreesign: marija!!! The movie is so good and I love it !!! Ladies please go to the cinema !!! Johnny plays his character so good! :applause: :spin: :flashingheart:

marija

Unread postby marija » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:16 am

gipsyblues wrote::agreesign: marija!!! The movie is so good and I love it !!! Ladies please go to the cinema !!! Johnny plays his character so good! :applause: :spin: :flashingheart:

...and it becomes better and better. I was in the cinema for the second time but not for the last :lolsign:
...it's not easy, to be different..."

Ade

Unread postby Ade » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:11 am

This is interesting - Mark Kermode is a quite influential film critic in the UK - has a slot on BBC news. He is often critical of Johnny - he has said it's because he thinks Johnny is such a brilliant actor he shouldn't waste his talent doing Pirates films - I am sure you are all familiar with him.

Anyway - he liked it!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... -christmas

meeps

Unread postby meeps » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:24 am

Ade wrote:This is interesting - Mark Kermode is a quite influential film critic in the UK - has a slot on BBC news. He is often critical of Johnny - he has said it's because he thinks Johnny is such a brilliant actor he shouldn't waste his talent doing Pirates films - I am sure you are all familiar with him.

Anyway - he liked it!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... -christmas

That is great new :truefan: Did he also like Johnny in it?
I'm asking, because I am way over here in Denmark, and am not allowed to watch the video on the BBC site :blush: That's only for the Brits themselves, it says :sad:

Return to “News & Views”