POTC5 Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers)

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
redrascal1

Unread postby redrascal1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:02 pm

I saw this film on Tuesday and it helped me through what has been a dark period of my life recently.

I've loved every one of the POTC films. What I liked about this one was most of our old friends got what they wanted. I was surprised how much I liked Henry and Carina. Barbossa...wow. Really shed a tear there.
BUT.....
My favourite part was how Young Jack outwitted Salazar - that little glimpse of a harder, darker Jack reminded me of the deleted scene from CoTBP when he showed his scars to Elizabeth. And I actually wish they would make a film where Jack is the prime focus. There is so much more to his character.
And Who cares how 'old' Johnny is - he's ageless as Jack, he could play him forever!

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:18 pm

Vanillababe wrote:(..) Johnny said he saw this Pirates and we know he hates watching himself. Maybe he needs to watch the 1st one and see why we all fell in love with this character in the first place (..)

I thought what Johnny said on Kimmel about having watched this to see what it is and being happy with it rang true with my experience of the movie. I think he "felt good" about the 4th one, but maybe was made aware in retrospect that it wasn't quite the gem he was going for, and thus felt compelled to actually watch the 5th. As far as Johnny watching COTBP, maybe it slips his mind when people ask him about seeing his own movies that he actually did a commentary for COTBP with Gore. But personally I don't think he needs to be reminded of anything when it comes to playing Jack.
Interesting insight by SnoopyDances about Jack's situation at the start of DMTNT being related to the voodoo doll at the end of 4, makes good sense though it's never mentioned. I notice a lot of lamenting about Jack not being more "on it" in this one; well, his "luck" has always been somewhat mixed, it's not like in the previous movies he could just do whatever he wanted without problems. I think it's a very interesting point to start from, Jack being at the point where his crew, even Gibbs, walk away from him. Seeing Jack in that situation didn't make me sad, it drew me right in to the story. We all know Jack likes his rum, no great surprise that he wants to over indulge when things don't seem to be going his way, and so I thought it was a fairly 'realistic' portrayal of what Jack would be like near rock bottom, which to me made for some really good cinema, and a far more interesting look at the guy than what we see in 4.
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"I've got a lot of Barbies in storage..."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

Moonbeam

Unread postby Moonbeam » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:12 pm

:captainjack: :toastingpirates: :dancingpirate: I just watched it!! WOOHOO! I Loved it!!!
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't.- -- Johnny ...Life's pretty good, and why wouldn't it be? I'm a pirate, after all." -- Johnny ...You cannot close your heart to the things you do not want to feel. --Johnny Depp

bringmethathorizon

Unread postby bringmethathorizon » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:48 pm

I went to my 4th viewing today with my family and they loved it and picked up on everything!!! No one understands my Captain Jack/Johnny obsession like they do, its like Johnny is part of my family. I still can't figure out why I am so emotional about this movie, wept like a baby again today..It is touching my heart and soul like COTBP did. I'll just keep going as long as its in the theaters and feed my obsession ,now, I have a rondevous beyond my beloved horizon!!!
"This is the one I'll be remembered for"
Edward D. Wood, Jr.

sparralet

Unread postby sparralet » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:18 pm

redrascal1 wrote:I saw this film on Tuesday and it helped me through what has been a dark period of my life recently.

I had the same experience with COTBP, and now with DMTNT too, interesting! You gotta experience it yourself to really understand it, aye? :pirategunshot:

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:12 pm

I went for a third viewing today and was really into it. Enjoyed it so much and picked up on some plot points and nuances that I'd missed before.

I stopped minding that Jack isn't always in control, instead I let the story carry me along and there's so much subtlety in Johnny's performance that it's interesting to see Jack in low place. At moments when I thought Jack was supposed to be drunk I realised that he actually isn't, and is instead already thinking one step ahead.

There are lots of other lovely performances in the film as well, some of the comedy scenes are quite masterful.

It is visually stunning, seeing the resurrected Pearl sailing in the evening light is so moving! So much care has gone into every aspect of the film, and the CGI is incredible.

I will probably leave it at three viewings as I want to leave it on a high and not see it so many times it loses its impact. Hope we don't have to wait too long for the DVD! I wish they would make a "young Jack" prequel too. :toastingpirates: :dancingpirate: :pirategunshot:

Does anyone know how old Jack is supposed to be? I always assumed that he was around 35-40 years old in CotBP, so am thinking he is supposed to be over 50 years of age in this one? That would be an unusual and remarkable age for a real pirate, most of whom died young, either from battle or disease. I think they have quite cleverly hinted that Jack is older, with his appearance, his attitudes and his increased need for rum!
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

flo116

Unread postby flo116 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:57 pm

I just saw this amazing film for the 3rd time each time I enjoy it more and see things I missed before. This time I cried when Hector died. The theater was full for both afternoon shows. :lovehearts:
"What interested me was that he has so many faces" "But each one is completely pure & innocent" Francois Marie Banier about Johnny

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:09 pm

Just got to say, one thing I really appreciate about this one, besides the story, the humor, the atmosphere, is the fact that there aren't epic battle scenes that go on and on. I love the fact that Gore is willing to get fairly abstract, but the marathon action sequences in P2 and 3, no matter how well they might be done, just aren't that exciting to me. I'm so glad that DMTNT, in addition to being a great "day in the life" peek at these characters, doesn't fall into that trap.
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"I've got a lot of Barbies in storage..."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:23 pm

jruoss wrote:Just got to say, one thing I really appreciate about this one, besides the story, the humor, the atmosphere, is the fact that there aren't epic battle scenes that go on and on. I love the fact that Gore is willing to get fairly abstract, but the marathon action sequences in P2 and 3, no matter how well they might be done, just aren't that exciting to me. I'm so glad that DMTNT, in addition to being a great "day in the life" peek at these characters, doesn't fall into that trap.

:highfive:

justintime

Unread postby justintime » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:16 am

I would welcome the thrill of a well-choreographed, fast-paced sword fight, however, with Captain Jack center stage! Epic battle scenes do not always require multiple ships and dozens of nameless crew members hacking each other to pieces . . .
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

sparralet

Unread postby sparralet » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:46 pm

justintime wrote:I would welcome the thrill of a well-choreographed, fast-paced sword fight, however, with Captain Jack center stage!

My thoughts exactly! That's what I miss in DMTNT :dancingpirate:
I like it a lot, but I'd also like to see some good old swashbuckling action, savvy

redrascal1

Unread postby redrascal1 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:22 am

sparralet wrote:
justintime wrote:I would welcome the thrill of a well-choreographed, fast-paced sword fight, however, with Captain Jack center stage!

My thoughts exactly! That's what I miss in DMTNT :dancingpirate:
I like it a lot, but I'd also like to see some good old swashbuckling action, savvy

I can't help but wonder if Johnny's hand injury meant they couldn't have many sword fights in this one?

justintime

Unread postby justintime » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:01 am

You know, redrascal1, I never even thought of that, but it sure is a reasonable conclusion. He recently was wearing a brace on his right hand (in the pics w/Robin Baum before Japan), so maybe he's still feeling the effects of that injury . . .
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

bringmethathorizon

Unread postby bringmethathorizon » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:32 pm

Went to my 5th viewing yesterday by myself and for some reason, I focused in on Captain Jack's performance. The good Captain was definitely at a very low point and had been for a while, while Barbosa was able to release all the ships held by Blackbeard and reaping all the spoils of pirating, Jack and crew were unable to pilfer anything and his beloved Pearl still in the bottle held close to his heart. He looked so down and out and so sad when the crew left him, even Gibbs and he took his precious Pearl and sat it on his not so nice ship and the way he looked at it longingly and with such love was brilliant acting on Johnny's part, never have seen the Captain that low. The bar scene when he gave away the compass, even worse, I felt his desperation. I also felt Jack getting some hope back when Gibbs and the crew came back to save him and he had a plan again with Henry and Corina. He started scheming again, getting some life back, also brilliant acting. I really watched Johnny/Jack reaction to Barbosa's fate, heartwrenching!! I truly believe that Barbosa's death had a huge impact on Jack, along with Elizabeth and Will reuniting. So anyway, the complexity of Captain Jack was brilliantly on display in this movie. It has truly touched me in the same way that COTBP did and it could not have come at a better time in my life once again.
"This is the one I'll be remembered for"

Edward D. Wood, Jr.

Ade

Unread postby Ade » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:29 pm

I feel like a bit of an amateur after your fifth viewing - I just saw it again for the third time. Each time I've also honed more and more in on his performance as Jack and I do think they have set up beautifully another film this time with Jack at the helm of the pearl, What was nicest was that I expected my small group of friends to be the only people in the cinema since it's been out a while but in fact there was a good crowd, clearly all of whom were Johnny fans. They laughed, cheered etc every time he said something vaguely funny and every single person stayed for the post credit scene. I like that the film isn't overly long, fast moving and just fun. There are moments when Johnny's timing is just so perfect - the horologist conversation and also the end scene on the Pearl. I maintain its my favourite ever ending. I am so hoping that for the final one or two, they bring back everyone including Penelope and Javier.

Return to “News & Views”