Foreword (and scans) of Disney Pirates: The Definitive Collector's Anthology

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
meeps

Unread postby meeps » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:52 am

Yes, thank you ever so very much for both pictures and words :truefan:
And one of those pics proves it! Jack is a pirate treasure :heart: :lol: :heart:

gipsyblues

Unread postby gipsyblues » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:12 am

Wow...... thank you coolcat ,for the pics !!! :loveshower: :smiliewithhearts: :yahoo: :capnjack:

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:49 am

What an interesting read! Such a treat to be able to get his own views rather than that of a critic or a biographer.

Thank you, coolcat328!
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

justintime

Unread postby justintime » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:09 pm

SnoopyDances wrote:I think that's as close to an autobiography as we're going to get. :lol:

:thankyou: coolcat!
Great stills, too. :captainjack:

I think you're right on the money, Snoopy!

And thank you, coolcat, as well. Johnny's writings are always so full of brutal honesty and humor - he seems to take you by the hand and paint a picture of an episode in his life with words. I've not even heard of this book; I will buy it just for the forward (well, the pics are in a class lby themselves)!
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:17 pm

This is the first I've heard of this book as well. It sounds like a movie companion book on steroids, or some kind of growth hormone, to cover all 5 Pirate movies as the title implies.
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"I've got a lot of Barbies in storage..."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:43 pm

coolcat328 wrote: FOREWORD
The stern and bitter type folks, incapable of drudging up a smile that hadn't been born out of their own perverse notion that they held the monopoly on the 'power.'

What a line.
Very interesting how he immediately knew that Jack was a chance to embody in a character the same anti-authoritarian instincts he'd had since childhood. I think of that one still shot that Jerry took in TCOTBP extras where Johnny-as-Jack appears to be deep in reverie, perhaps focused on the connection between Jack and something deep within...
(see new avatar for reference)
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:59 pm

jruoss wrote:This is the first I've heard of this book as well. It sounds like a movie companion book on steroids, or some kind of growth hormone, to cover all 5 Pirate movies as the title implies.

I looked the book up on Amazon. It covers ALL of Disney's pirates, not just the 5 Captain Jack movies.

Disney Pirates: The Definitive Collector’s Anthology: Ninety years of pirates in Disney feature films, television shows, and parks.

"You believe in pirates, of course?" Walt Disney once asked on a Disneyland television program. . . . Disney Pirates: The Definitive Collector's Anthology delves behind-the-scenes across ninety years of Disney film, television, and park history. Pirates have captured people's imaginations for centuries, and Walt Disney believed in pirates as a source of great popular entertainment. Walt's very first all live-action feature film was based upon Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island, and even before that, he selected J. M. Barrie's Peter Pan, in which pirates figure so prominently, as a key feature-length animated film for his studio.

Years later, Pirates of the Caribbean opened in Disneyland just months after Walt had passed away, making it one of the last Disney theme park attractions in which he was personally involved. That attraction ultimately spawned similar versions at Disney parks around the world, one of the most successful series in motion picture history with the five Pirates of the Caribbean films, and a vast themed land at Shanghai Disneyland called Treasure Cove--celebrating the entirety of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise.

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:17 pm

I see. So obviously there will be some Peter Pan talk... I'm curious as Johnny is sure to be heavily featured whether the book will make any mention of the fact that he also played J.M. Barrie? Or will that connection, however pertinent or interesting, not be pointed out, for fear of promoting a non-Disney movie?

Return to “News & Views”