PIRATES 5 Updates

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
bringmethathorizon

Re: PIRATES 5 Updates

Unread postby bringmethathorizon » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:43 pm

I read some disturbing news on Yahoo news today I hope someone can clarify for me. This will be the very last Pirates installment for Johnny as he will no longer take the lead role, just small parts. The next pirates will not star Captain Jack and will focus on the new young characters, Will Turner's son for one. Dead Men Tell no Tales will start weaning the Captain off, so much smaller role in this one coming up. Does anyone have the true deal of what's going on?
"This is the one I'll be remembered for"
Edward D. Wood, Jr.

In-too-Depp

Unread postby In-too-Depp » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:10 am

bringmethathorizon wrote:I read some disturbing news on Yahoo news today I hope someone can clarify for me. This will be the very last Pirates installment for Johnny as he will no longer take the lead role, just small parts. The next pirates will not star Captain Jack and will focus on the new young characters, Will Turner's son for one. Dead Men Tell no Tales will start weaning the Captain off, so much smaller role in this one coming up. Does anyone have the true deal of what's going on?

This is probably because some sites are saying because Keira appears at the end of the movie then that is leading into a possible POTC 6 with a bigger role for her in that one. We'll know nothing and I think Disney will wait on box office numbers before they even consider another film. For all we know Johnny himself might have said something about stepping away from Captain Jack.

It's mentioned in this article.
And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

In-too-Depp

Unread postby In-too-Depp » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:47 am

Another article.

Well if they're definitely going to do another Pirates film then there is a possibility that she will have a bigger role in the next one. It does say that there's alot of scenes of Will Turner in POTC 5.
And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:52 am

:lovehearts: Rumors have persisted since filming began in Australia that this would be Captain Jack's last movie, even that he was replaced entirely by Will Turner and young Will Turner.

I suppose his marital issues might have contributed to those rumors.

Well have to wait and see. :waiting:

Sweeney Todd

Unread postby Sweeney Todd » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:11 pm

New Synopsis released for Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

January 5, 2017 Written by B.C.

Yo Ho, all together. Hoist the colours high! We have a new official synopsis for Pirates of the Caribbean 5: Dead Men Tell No Tales.

Awhile back we treated to our first look at Pirates of The Caribbean 5. Now it looks like Disney has given us our first full synopsis for the film.

Johnny Depp returns to the big screen as the iconic, swashbuckling anti-hero Jack Sparrow in the all-new “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales.” The rip-roaring adventure finds down-on-his-luck Captain Jack feeling the winds of ill-fortune blowing strongly his way when deadly ghost sailors, led by the terrifying Captain Salazer (Javier Bardem), escape from the Devil’s Triangle bent on killing every pirate at sea – notably Jack. Jack’s only hope of survival lies in the legendary Trident of Poseidon, but to find it he must forge an uneasy alliance with Carina Smyth (Kaya Scodelario), a brilliant and beautiful astronomer, and Henry (Benton Thwaites), a headstrong young sailor in the Royal Navy. At the helm of the Dying Gull, his pitifull small and shabby ship, Captain Jack seeks not only to reverse his recent spate of ill fortune, but to save his very life from the most formidable and malicious foe he has never faced.

So there we have it. Old Captain Jack is in the thick of it again, this time his only hope is the Trident of Poseidon. I for one am pretty excited to see Capt. Jack go up against what looks to be a pretty awesome villain in Javier Bardem's Captain Salazer.

The synopsis arises a few questions too. Most notably is Orlando Bloom's Will Turner in it as he is rumored to be? We will have to wait until May 26th 2017 when Dead Men Tel No Tales finally hits theaters.

:sweeneydepp: Never forget. Never forgive. :sweeneydepp:

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:15 pm

There seem to be all sorts of possibilities/questions linked to P5, but I'm not sure how much I even want to think about it. One of the more interesting aspects though is that if Henry is indeed Will Turner's son, that would put this movie approximately 20 years after At World's End, chronologically.
I'm not a huge fan of the idea that "they"'re still trying to replicate the mood of the first one after all this time. Johnny himself also said that about the 3rd and 4th movies, that they felt closer in tone to the first. And now this one is actually sounding very similar to earlier plot lines, with Henry taking over the role of Will and probably trying to save his dad from a Davey Jones related fate. Whether the new characters just happen to be part of this story, or are part of some master plan by Disney to keep POTC movies going for years to come is anyone's guess. Hopefully there's enough new stuff going on with Jack to make the movie watchable.
It seemed like Johnny spent more time doing last minute reshoots for this movie than usual. I'm guessing that's because some of the stuff filmed during the Australia shoot was compromised by other situations. I do like the atmosphere of the trailer...
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"I've got a lot of Barbies in storage..."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

meeps

Unread postby meeps » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:55 am

At the helm of the Dying Gull, his pitifull small and shabby ship, Captain Jack seeks not only to reverse his recent spate of ill fortune, but to save his very life from the most formidable and malicious foe he has never faced.

Shouldn't that have been "ever faced"?

That asked, I am not sure I will keep on watching Pirates of ... movies, if there is no Jack to love in the story :love: I have watched those movies to see what he's up to each time - without him in it it will just be like any old action movies set in the past for me :innocent:

meeps

Unread postby meeps » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:21 pm

A new still from the movie and news that we will see Jack as teenager :love:

emma

Unread postby emma » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:17 am

USA Today
10 January 2017

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

(May 26)

Not only will fans get to see Johnny Depp's famed Captain Jack Sparrow as an 18-year-old, but the new Pirates is an "enormous" fifth chapter in the swashbuckling series, promises producer Jerry Bruckheimer. "It's really edgy, still has the humor, but (offers) some real tension." Everybody's looking for the Trident of Poseidon, an artifact that will supposedly cure all curses, and the list includes Will Turner (Orlando Bloom), the new captain of the Flying Dutchman who's trying to free his father from the curse of Davy Jones; young Henry (Brenton Thwaites), who's searching for his own dad; astronomer Carina Smyth (Kaya Scodelario); the decrepit and ghostly Captain Salazar (Javier Bardem), who last encountered Jack when he was a teenager and now wants to kill the infamous buccaneer; and Sparrow himself. Those wondering whether Jack will get enough screen time with this big an ensemble need not worry, Bruckheimer says: "He's still the star of the movie."

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:49 pm

Getting to Know Brenton Thwaites, the Newest Cast Member From ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’

Dora Fung
Yahoo Style
January 17, 2017

Meet Brenton Thwaites, the 27-year-old alumni of Australia’s long-running soap Home and Away, the show that gave us stars such as Chris Hemsworth, Russell Crowe, Isla Fisher, and Naomi Watts, to name just a few! We will soon see Thwaites in the newest entry in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, Dead Men Tell No Tales, with Johnny Depp, Javier Bardem, Orlando Bloom, and Geoffrey Rush, coming out this May. In between his travels to London, Paris, and L.A., he stopped off in Milan to watch his first men’s fashion show, the Fall 2017 Salvatore Ferragamo show. We caught up with him there to chat about style, hanging with Johnny Depp, and his character in the movie whilst he indulged in some pasta and red wine.

Yahoo Style: Is this your first time at Milan Fashion Week? What are you excited to see?
Brenton Thwaites: This is my first time at Milan Fashion Week, and I have just seen the Salvatore Ferragamo show. And it’s the only show I am seeing, an exclusive! Ha-ha.

What your takeaway from the show?
It’s cool to see how it all comes together. I have never done it before, and so to see how kind of over the top these shows are and what will inspire the next few years of fashion is great, and to be at the front of that too! But now it means I will have to start traveling with a bigger suitcase.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales is coming out this year. What can we expect from your character?
I play a young soldier call Henry, and during the film I connect with a character called Carina Smyth, who is played by Kaya Scodelario. We are both looking for a certain treasure, and we realize we can help each other by teaming up and going on this journey together.

What was it like to be on set with Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Javier Bardem?

It was great! Most of my scenes were with Johnny and Javier, and I have looked up to those guys for years. I have been a fan of the Pirates of Caribbean movies since I was 11, 12 years old, and it was just a dream to work with those guys. They all have such different styles. I love Javier — Biutiful is one of my favorite movies ever. To see how much fun we have on set and still be so professional, for a young actor, it was awesome to watch.

It seems like it would be boisterous and fun. Was it?
It was so fun to shoot. We have grand sets: We shot in the ocean, on the Great Barrier Reef, and we used real-life cast to shoot on the pirate ship! The guys would get these panoramic shots, and they really made it fresh and exciting, but keeping that grandiose attitude like you see in all the films. There was a lot of elaborate stuff that I really enjoyed working on.

Did you pick up any style tips from any of your castmates?
Johnny Depp definitely has a very cool style, but I mainly saw him in costumes. I have always been a fan of what he wears on the red carpet. He’s got such a unique way about him that’s cool. Jack Sparrow is pretty cool too — he has so many trinkets everywhere! I love the idea of collecting things along the way.

ForeverYoung

Unread postby ForeverYoung » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:20 pm

I don't know but it seems to me that Johnny wants to move in a different direction now towards Fantastic Beasts. He has been a long time with Disney and a lot of ups and downs with them and their control so maybe it is time for them to part ways. Johnny is making big changes in his life now and this could just be one of them but it's a good thing. :smiliewithhearts:
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

sleepy
JDZ Founder

Unread postby sleepy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:50 am

Disney seems to be trying to downplay Johnny's involvement in this one. Guess we will have to see what happens when the promotion starts and how Disney handles he publicity. Bruckheimer also seems to be very quiet, concerning the film. Can't say it will be a bad move for Johnny to back away from POTC. I'm hoping he can move in a different direction. He will always have Jack Sparrow on his resume and Disney can't diminish that fact. As someone said, there is no guarantee there will be another POTC. Box office reception will make that decision.
Funny ol' world, innit?

Sweeney Todd

Unread postby Sweeney Todd » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:34 pm

IN THE PIPELINE: Second Teaser Trailer For ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales’ On The Way?

Disney aren’t stopping their trailer train – they will launch the final trailer for Beauty And The Beast on Monday, and it looks like we should be preparing for a new look at Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales.

Consumer Protection BC have rated what appears to be a second teaser trailer for the film, clocking in at just under 90 seconds. We expect it to arrive online at some point soon – our guess is at the Super Bowl in just over a week’s time, where Disney debuted a full trailer for The Jungle Book last year.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:44 pm

IN THE PIPELINE: Second Teaser Trailer For ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales’ On The Way?

Sweeney Todd..... :giddy:

Sweeney Todd

Unread postby Sweeney Todd » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:18 pm

There's an official Twitter account!

Return to “News & Views”